OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In search of a rugged case
Charlie Stross
post Nov 21 2018, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 817,351

So, I'd kind of like a rugged case for my Gemini, but options are problematic.

Option 1: if you can find one of the old Palm-Tec hard shell cases for a Psion 3/5, it actually fits! The footprint of the Gemini is nearly identical. However, the Gemini is shallower than the Psions, so requires about 5-8mm of padding. Alternatively, the case is too deep. I have one of these and it's the best I've found so far ... and they're rare as hens teeth even on eBay.

Option 2: The Otterbox Drybox 3250. Interior dimensions match, and it's IP68 waterproof and really rugged. Alas, the interior is about 5cm deeper than necessary for the Gemini! Room for a booster battery and cables and stuff, but ... more than I need.

Anyway. Dissatisfied with the leather sleeve; what are the chances of Planet doing a deal with a 3rd party vendor to produce a run of a Drybox sized exactly right for the Gemini and/or Cosmo? Basically a hard water/drop resistant case for transporting the PDA?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gymbo
post Nov 21 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 816,769

I would be interested in something like that as well! As it is now the leather sleeve is just sitting in a pocket in my computer bag, protecting the cover-removal tool...

(Would have managed fine without it, but since it was a part of the "all-in" bundle, I got it too...)

+Quote Post
gemini_user_j
post Nov 28 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 827,849

not sure if 'rugged' enough for you, but I have this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PNYHQY/

the gemini is almost same dimensions as that battery.
on the other side there is room for charger, cable, earbuds, etc.

+Quote Post
Dixit
post Nov 30 2018, 12:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 824,751

QUOTE(gemini_user_j @ Nov 28 2018, 11:42 PM) *
not sure if 'rugged' enough for you, but I have this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PNYHQY/

the gemini is almost same dimensions as that battery.
on the other side there is room for charger, cable, earbuds, etc.

Nice.
Did you actually try it ?

On the leather sleeve: I also got it with the All-in and I "anxiously" waited for it. It is not a rugged thing for transport, but at least I can stick my Gemini in my pocket or in my rucksack without scratching the Gemini itself.

Before I received the sleeve, I used to use a leather Psion 5mx "booklet" holster, but that was unnecessarily thick. The 5mx is thicker than the Gemini. I could fit the Gemini in my Palm-Tec, but then it rattles.

+Quote Post
gemini_user_j
post Dec 3 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 827,849

QUOTE(Dixit @ Nov 30 2018, 12:42 AM) *
Did you actually try it ?

yes, I use it as a case for my gemini on a daily basis, it fits all the accessories I need and some additional things.

+Quote Post
epninety
post Dec 3 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 826,550

As food for thought, you could consider this case I had custom made for my Gemini by a chinese ebay seller.
I'd already had a leather notebook cover from them, so I simply picked something close from their listings and emailed asking for a customised size.

Cost was so low it was daft not to try it (about 25 GBP delivered)
The leather is 2mm thick and the stitching is excellent.

I would like a slightly different design (e.g. tuck flap instead of popper) and for the price I would probably have experimented.
Wierdly (and sadly) the seller dropped off ebay shortly afterwards, went from 20 or so different products listed to none. but the possibilities are out there.

+Quote Post
Joost
post Feb 8 2019, 02:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 817,269

I have got this old Winnie the Pooh pencil case. I used the original packaging plastic for the Gemini inside it, so it fits like a charm. It is not IP68 proof, but pretty rugged. One disadvantage may be that the metal case may obstruct the signal for wifi or 4G. However since I have a wifi only, and power the machine off when not in use, it is no disadvantage for me.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Charlie Stross
post Feb 9 2019, 03:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 817,351

QUOTE(Joost @ Feb 8 2019, 10:25 PM) *
I have got this old Winnie the Pooh pencil case. I used the original packaging plastic for the Gemini inside it, so it fits like a charm. It is not IP68 proof, but pretty rugged. One disadvantage may be that the metal case may obstruct the signal for wifi or 4G. However since I have a wifi only, and power the machine off when not in use, it is no disadvantage for me.

The pencil case with tray-liner from original box is an excellent idea! Thanks, I think I will go look for one. (Or for an eBay seller doing custom leatherwork, like the one the previous commenter found.)

+Quote Post
Varti
post Feb 21 2019, 09:31 AM
Post #9

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21,713

QUOTE(epninety @ Dec 3 2018, 09:26 PM) *
As food for thought, you could consider this case I had custom made for my Gemini by a chinese ebay seller.

Just as a reference, I have received a similar, custom made leather case, as a Christmas gift from my beloved wife. It was tailor-made by our local shoemaker; I'm keeping the Planet's leather pouch inside it, as it fits it perfectly and makes it much easier to slide the Gemini out and in the case:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Now I don't have to worry anymore about the Gemini falling on the floor (not that I'm willing to test how much it protects it though!).

Varti

+Quote Post
pdtpoet
post Feb 22 2019, 06:44 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 823,827

QUOTE(Varti @ Feb 21 2019, 01:31 PM) *
QUOTE(epninety @ Dec 3 2018, 09:26 PM) *

Just as a reference, I have received a similar, custom made leather case, as a Christmas gift from my beloved wife. It was tailor-made by our local shoemaker; I'm keeping the Planet's leather pouch inside it, as it fits it perfectly and makes it much easier to slide the Gemini out and in the case:

Now I don't have to worry anymore about the Gemini falling on the floor (not that I'm willing to test how much it protects it though!).

Varti

I have been very happy with this case I bought from a Chinese eBay seller. It has belt loops and fits well and is easy to keep the Gemini at my side for a "quick-draw" event when I need to make notes emergently. My favorite use was when I visited a medical clinic in Shanghai China and we were not allowed to use laptops, but I was able to pull out my Gemini and take excellent notes during the trip. No one seemed to mind, and several people asked to see the Gemini and two of the doctors in the clinic told me they would be ordering one from Planet Computers. The case also protects my Gemini when I carry it in a bag. It cost $99 USD and has been worth it.

Pdtpoet

This post has been edited by Varti: Aug 17 2019, 12:51 AM
Reason for edit: Removed attached images from the quoted text. Varti

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 05:17 PM