OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rooting the Cosmo Communicator
Charlie Stross
post Oct 12 2019, 04:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 817,351

Does anyone have any insight into how to go about rooting the Cosmo?

(Yes, yes, I know they've only just begun shipping ..!)

NB: directions to enable a relative noob to root a Communicator would be welcome. (I want to be able to use some of the root-only functions of t-ui launcher.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vistaus
post Oct 13 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 850,627

It should be easy. I don't have a Gemini, but there is official root support for the Gemini and it seems easy enough. So I think the process for the Cosmo will be very similar. I want to root it too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Zarhan
post Oct 23 2019, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 850,871

Actually...can someone point to a good tutorial on rooting Android in general?

The phone I'm using daily is still good old Nokia N900 (only big problem with it is the lack of TLS 1.2 support). Syncing with MS Exchange Online (O365) works. Anyway, this means that I really have no in-depth experience with Android apart from occasionally seeing my wife use her Samsung.

I'm finding a bunch of tutorials by googling for them, but the basics, such as "What are the differences between Supersu and Magisk and why do I need them in the first place" is missing. Same applies for TWRP. (Well, for that I could find info on what it is - essentially a boot manager with partition backup functions), but no one has exactly told why it's needed and why TWRP is the one everybody recommends...

So by "good" tutorial I'm looking for information that besides telling "Do X, then do Y" actually also tells WHY you should do X and why Y is the best choice (instead of Z).

+Quote Post
Vistaus
post Oct 24 2019, 01:36 AM
Post #4

Dunno. Sometimes rooting is device-specific. But to get you started: DON'T ever use SuperSu. It has been abandoned for a long time and contains security holes. Magisk is the only good way to root, plus it's more flexible as you can add Magisk repos to customize your device after rooting it.
TWRP is needed because the default bootloader iis never really flexible nor easy to use and often doesn't even allow you to flash Magisk and custom ROMs and stuff. There are a few other bootloaders out there, but TWRP is the most flexible and widely supported.

+Quote Post
shinkamui
post Nov 8 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 823,980

QUOTE(Vistaus @ Oct 24 2019, 04:36 AM) *
Dunno. Sometimes rooting is device-specific. But to get you started: DON'T ever use SuperSu. It has been abandoned for a long time and contains security holes. Magisk is the only good way to root, plus it's more flexible as you can add Magisk repos to customize your device after rooting it.
TWRP is needed because the default bootloader iis never really flexible nor easy to use and often doesn't even allow you to flash Magisk and custom ROMs and stuff. There are a few other bootloaders out there, but TWRP is the most flexible and widely supported.

TWRP isn't a bootloader, its a custom recovery environment...

+Quote Post
Vistaus
post Nov 9 2019, 02:38 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(shinkamui @ Nov 9 2019, 08:08 AM) *
QUOTE(Vistaus @ Oct 24 2019, 04:36 AM) *

TWRP isn't a bootloader, its a custom recovery environment...

I know, I just wanted to keep it simple.

+Quote Post
gidds
post Nov 9 2019, 08:05 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 816,386

TWRP is certainly not necessary to install rooted Android, as the Gemini I'm typing this on was rooted without it!

It can be done using the Windows or Linux Flash Tool to install the rooted Android OS that Planet supply. (It's pretty fiddly, but doable.)

Assuming the same tool works with the Cosmo -- and I suspect it will -- all we'll need will be Planet to supply the rooted Android image for the Cosmo.

+Quote Post
ZimbiX
post Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 838,517

I need root to be able to migrate from my Gemini properly. I've been carrying around three phones this week =P

According to the official Magisk installation instructions, the app can patch an arbitrary kernel image file. https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install....-image-patching

I'm thinking the desktop flash tool would be able to flash that patched kernel image to the Cosmo. It would just need a scatterfile to know where the partitions are.

I did some Googling, and apparently an MTK Tool can generate a scatterfile by analysing the device. The flash tool might support doing this too.

So lastly, we need to first read the kernel image from the device so the Magisk app can patch it. The MTK Tool can apparently make a backup of the device. Hopefully that means it stores the partitions as individual img files. Again, the flash tool might also support this.

I've been thinking about this for a few days, but haven't tried any of it yet. Sadly, I haven't been able to get the flash tool working on my Arch Linux in the past, so I'll have to have a go on Windows on the weekend.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th November 2019 - 03:51 AM