OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gentoo On Zaurus, HOWTO in progress
koen
post Sep 1 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(adf @ Sep 1 2006, 04:43 PM)
wait a second. You can "move on" from a "limited" portage, but you can't make a working package manager?  Sadly, that sounds very par for the OE course...

What are you talking about? OE is a buildsystem. I think you are being a bit clueless, or deliberately insulting. OE is a buildsystem, not a package-manager, so it is 'not working' as a package manager as your bike is 'not working' as a boat. Please stop posting nonsensical flames.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adf
post Sep 1 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(koen @ Sep 1 2006, 05:35 PM)
wait a second. You can "move on" from a "limited" portage, but you can't make a working package manager?  Sadly, that sounds very par for the OE course...

What are you talking about? OE is a buildsystem. I think you are being a bit clueless, or deliberately insulting. OE is a buildsystem, not a package-manager, so it is 'not working' as a package manager as your bike is 'not working' as a boat. Please stop posting nonsensical flames.

OE builds systems and you know perfectly well what I mean. OE apparently does not buid an OZ with a decent gui package manager because the devs are interested in relatively opbscure high level development stuff.

It wasn't a flame, just an observation of where the real interest in OE seems to lie. My point was that portage seems to work fine for the gentoo community, who one does not generally see complaining that they are having problems installing software on their gentoo boxes. yet, portage was not good enough for OE, though apparently a highly dysfunctional gui packagemanager is good enough for the OE built OZ. This is the case because the people working on openzaurus seem generally more interested in developing OE than in tweaking basic applications for OZ. I'm not saying that the OE folks have any responsibility at all to make any sort of working system available (unless they are asking to be paid for it) since it is volunteer work, and a hobby. In fact OE is probably a good thing for linux generally. The fact that OZ has grave and fixable defects does not detract from this. My point was that your comment about gentoo seemed pretty snotty for somebody who has overseen 3 releases of OZ gpe with the same broken pakagemanager. Nothing personal. In the main i'm impressed with much of what you guys do. I just don't think you get to talk trash when your stuff is so far from perfect.

+Quote Post
iamasmith
post Sep 1 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,928

QUOTE(koen @ Sep 1 2006, 05:35 PM)

and if there is anybody that shouldn't be 'casting stones' about flames..... well I think we have all learned to ignore that bit.

I just hope that the patronising tone, pointlessly militant attitude etc. doesn't actually put folk off from reading the useful bits and pieces that are occasionally in those posts.

-Andy

+Quote Post
Javock
post Sep 4 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,731

Soooo... gyver, any news? cool.gif

+Quote Post
gyver
post Sep 5 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,749

QUOTE(Javock @ Sep 4 2006, 04:32 PM)
Soooo... gyver, any news?  cool.gif

I'm still at the findutils stage but I didn't have time to spend on the Zaurus (one of my system crashed and I had to reinstall tonight among other distractions...).

+Quote Post
bam
post Sep 5 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 7,306

and if there is anybody that shouldn't be 'casting stones' about flames..... well I think we have all learned to ignore that bit.

I just hope that the patronising tone, pointlessly militant attitude etc. doesn't actually put folk off from reading the useful bits and pieces that are occasionally in those posts.

nah i ignore it now, it just adds entertainment smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th March 2019 - 05:43 AM