OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sharp to make new Hiptop2 (sidekick2), Sharp, Danger, Hiptop2,Sidekick
speculatrix
post Aug 5 2004, 04:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

It's quite interesting that Danger chose Sharp to make their new model. I wonder how much the Hiptop2 is based on the Z?

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/0...0&tid=1&tid=218

"After years of waiting, the second Hiptop (or Sidekick, depending on the carrier) has been unveiled to the public. After the terrible hardware reliability of the first version, the second one, manufactured by Sharp, looks a lot better, with longer battery life, built-in camera, more buttons, better radio, new software features and more. Also, according to T-Mobile, sync is going to finally be here real soon now. There are reviews at CNet, over at PCMag, and at MSNBC." We recently covered leaked Hiptop II photos."

More pictures here: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5196.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Omicron
post Aug 5 2004, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,853

<Pun>

The Hiptop II is no Danger to the Zaurus.

</Pun>

I think the Cx00 idea of flip and twist is MUCH better than that of the Hiptop...I mean how do you protect the screen?

And Linux...need I say more?

" It includes a 160 x 240 16-bit color TFT display in front which flips out of the way to reveal a QWERTY thumbboard. " 160x240....Is it the year 1999 ?? smile.gif

"The Sidekick II also includes an integrated VGA (0.3 megapixel) camera in back." Wow .3 Mega pixel...now there progress...I mena the Z version is a bit sucky at same resolutionl, but it was made YEARS AGO !!

"The Sidekick II will be available from T-Mobile in the United States sometime this fall for a suggested price of $299 USD. "
Okay, nice price, but you get what you pay for and the SL5500 still kicks this things ass, or at least it's side. wink.gif (and of course $299 will require 2 years of activation subject to a $9.7 billion dollar early termination fee).

Okay maybe I exagerated slightly.

+Quote Post
nilch
post Aug 5 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,034

seems Sharp is happy to make and sell products to others and for others.

Come-on the Sharp screen is a hot-cake seller to toehr handheld manufactureres like Toshiba etc.
And now Hiptop gives it hardware design and manufacture to Sharp.

We all know Sharp was and is good at hardware design - the Zaurus simply is one of the best designed pieces of hardware, but when it comes to marketing, Sharp fails.
So no wonder they are just trying to let others market and they produce.

+Quote Post
Foxdie
post Aug 6 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 875

Off topic, moving the post to the "Off Topic" part of our forums.

+Quote Post
Guest_Joan Geller_*
post Sep 11 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #5

Guests

anyone know why www.sidekick2.com isn't taking pre-orders anymore?

+Quote Post
Miami_Bob
post Sep 12 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,781

QUOTE(nilch @ Aug 5 2004, 10:55 PM)
seems Sharp is happy to make and sell products to others and for others.

Yep. Like the dreck crapola they produce for Radio sHack to sell.

QUOTE(nilch)
Come-on the Sharp screen is a hot-cake seller to toehr handheld manufactureres like Toshiba etc.

So why can't I see my C860 display in brighter light conditions?

QUOTE(nilch)
the Zaurus simply is one of the best designed pieces of hardware,

1) Need to specify exactly *which* Z you mean. NOT allie same same, remember.

2) C860 IS very *good*, but hardly GREAT or "best", IMHO. The best of a VERY limited selection of styles for my own needs.

QUOTE(nilch)
but when it comes to marketing, Sharp fails.

No question about THAT if you mean PDAs & PMTs. They don't do badly elsewhere, though.

Now, regarding customer support ...... (unprintable comment here)

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Sep 12 2004, 08:13 AM
Post #7

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

sharp actually took over production for the original sidekicks as well. from what I hear, they will be nothing alike

QUOTE(OMICRON)
I think the Cx00 idea of flip and twist is MUCH better than that of the Hiptop...I mean how do you protect the screen?

the hiptop has some kind of extremely durable hard plastic (or something else?) oveylay that protects the actual screen. keep in mind, the hiptop doesn't have a touch sensative screen, while the Z does. you do all navigation via the keyboard, and other keys.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 07:39 PM