OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car mount kit.
Steve Goodey
post Jul 15 2019, 01:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 816,225

Good news, Gemini car mount kit has just arrived, via DHL from Hong Kong. Thanks Planet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DJO
post Jul 15 2019, 09:02 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 818,744

QUOTE(Steve Goodey @ Jul 15 2019, 09:15 AM) *
Good news, Gemini car mount kit has just arrived, via DHL from Hong Kong. Thanks Planet.

From the pictures it looks like the kit holds the keyboard part but is there anything to stop the screen part from moving when accelerating or braking?

It'd be interesting to get a report from a user rather than the sales pitch from Planet.

+Quote Post
Steve Goodey
post Jul 16 2019, 08:51 AM
Post #3

DJO,

Yes, unfortunately your fears are confirmed. On mine the screen does tend to flap backwards and forwards under acceleration/braking. I have not 'tweaked' my hinge at all as I believe some people have.

I am looking into finding a way of supporting the screen to stop this flexing and a quick bodge is to use a clothes peg. I also tried one on the right hand side but that tended to keep the enter key depressed. Any suggestions as to a better method appreciated.

I've attached a couple of photos.

Regards, Steve

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Daniel W
post Jul 18 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 823,019

QUOTE(Steve Goodey @ Jul 15 2019, 11:15 AM) *

Nice. As I was one of the very first backers, I wonder when mine will arrive. If sent directly from HongKong via DHL, Scandinavia shouldn't be THAT much further away than England. Sorry to hear about the floppiness. As the main use case for mine will be to try making a tripod mount for a Cosmo, I hope it will turn out sturdy enough for that. Does that clothes peg make any significant difference?

+Quote Post
Steve Goodey
post Jul 23 2019, 04:47 AM
Post #5

It helps but it's not a permanent fix. I'm looking into something better.

Steve

+Quote Post
Penorek
post Aug 10 2019, 07:21 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 818,286

Gemini car mount kit has yesterday arrived in Germany near berlin, via DHL from Hong Kong. It feels unstable i report after installation.

Penorek

+Quote Post
Penorek
post Aug 10 2019, 07:24 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 818,286

Steve

Hi Steve if you find a better way pease inform us.

+Quote Post
DJO
post Aug 10 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 818,744

QUOTE(Penorek @ Aug 10 2019, 03:24 PM) *

Steve

Hi Steve if you find a better way please inform us.

Without having seen one I wonder if it would be possible to mount a bent metal plate to the bottom of the clamp so it rests against the back of the screen, then stick a few magnets on the plate to align with the magnets in the lid. If done right it should stop the screen from moving and being behind it won't foul the keyboard.

Getting magnets not too strong and not too weak will be fun, old hard drives are a useful source but the magnets are powerful and brittle. They are almost impossible to cut without exceeding the Curie temperature but they can be broken (or shattered) into smaller magnets. (with very sharp points - take care).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 04:51 PM