OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Keyboard layout
Marzanna
post Feb 3 2019, 06:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 823,225

Hello.
I found Cosmo is very interesting… BUT I noticed that it has quite inconvenient keyboard layout.
Enter button is too tall and there is nothing between Enter key and Backspace key. This kind of design is VERY annoying sometimes. Because it's very easy to miss and hit Enter instead of Backspace.
All my keyboards and laptops have Backslash key between Enter and Backspace keys.
I wonder if there will be options with sane keyboard layouts…
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mithrandir
post Feb 3 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 815,997

QUOTE(Marzanna @ Feb 3 2019, 06:42 AM) *
Hello.
I found Cosmo is very interesting… BUT I noticed that it has quite inconvenient keyboard layout.
Enter button is too tall and there is nothing between Enter key and Backspace key. This kind of design is VERY annoying sometimes. Because it's very easy to miss and hit Enter instead of Backspace.
All my keyboards and laptops have Backslash key between Enter and Backspace keys.
I wonder if there will be options with sane keyboard layouts…

The only comparison we have is the Gemini. There have been some options. If I remember correctly, the US layout is slightly different to some other layouts. I think, the enter key has been located horizontally, at least there have been discussions about that. Maybe someone owning a Gemini with US layout (mine is with German layout and vertical enter key) can enlighten us... Some more information regarding the Gemini layouts: https://geminiplanet.com/exclusive-all-gemi...outs-finalised/ .

Anyways, a better optimized layout needs quite some more space, i.e. having some keys separated from the main keys, like we have it with most desktop keyboards. For a small device like the Cosmo or the Gemini this means smaller keys, which would result in a worse user experience than having one block of keys like we have it with the Gemini. So there might not be that many options. From my experience it is convenient to use the Gemini keyboard to type longer texts. (This also has been written on the Gemini).

+Quote Post
Marzanna
post Feb 3 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 823,225

QUOTE(mithrandir @ Feb 3 2019, 09:45 PM) *
Anyways, a better optimized layout needs quite some more space, i.e. having some keys separated from the main keys, like we have it with most desktop keyboards. For a small device like the Cosmo or the Gemini this means smaller keys, which would result in a worse user experience than having one block of keys like we have it with the Gemini. So there might not be that many options.

Well, why not to make something like this? There is no extra space used and keys are the same size. The problem is that I can't find such layout on any photos of Gemini or Cosmo. Maybe it's not to late to convince them to produce Cosmo with this layout…
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mithrandir
post Feb 7 2019, 01:41 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Marzanna @ Feb 3 2019, 08:46 PM) *
QUOTE(mithrandir @ Feb 3 2019, 09:45 PM) *
Anyways, a better optimized layout needs quite some more space, i.e. having some keys separated from the main keys, like we have it with most desktop keyboards. For a small device like the Cosmo or the Gemini this means smaller keys, which would result in a worse user experience than having one block of keys like we have it with the Gemini. So there might not be that many options.

Well, why not to make something like this? There is no extra space used and keys are the same size. The problem is that I can't find such layout on any photos of Gemini or Cosmo. Maybe it's not to late to convince them to produce Cosmo with this layout…

This looks very much like a Gemini keyboard. Maybe the US variant. From what I can say, this might be one of the variants available for the Cosmo. Anybody out there who can confirm that this is the Gemini's US (or any other) layout?

+Quote Post
mithrandir
post Feb 7 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #5

I think I got it now. The horizontal enter key seems to have been an option that has not been realized:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...st&p=284121

Maybe a possible layout for the Cosmo. Hard to tell if Planet can be convinced. At least I am unsure which variant is better.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 04:16 PM