OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Keyboard layout
Marzanna
post Feb 3 2019, 06:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 823,225

Hello.
I found Cosmo is very interesting… BUT I noticed that it has quite inconvenient keyboard layout.
Enter button is too tall and there is nothing between Enter key and Backspace key. This kind of design is VERY annoying sometimes. Because it's very easy to miss and hit Enter instead of Backspace.
All my keyboards and laptops have Backslash key between Enter and Backspace keys.
I wonder if there will be options with sane keyboard layouts…
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
vader
post Feb 10 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 816,775

I experimented a bit the other day, and I can see what PC means about easier to use. With the small width keyboard on the gemini/cosmo, when you are typing with both hands, your pinky is basically at the right edge. I hold my hands roughly in the middle (vertically), so tapping my pinky down hits at the right extreme of the keyboard between the middle, and upper edge, pretty much exactly where the enter key is. If the enter key was horizontal, I would have to move my hands down when I wanted the enter so it always hit the enter key at the right edge only. I'm sure you would get used to whichever way it was, but for me (smallish hands), the vertical enter key is easier.

I wonder if the mechanics of the keyboard mean you have to have one or the other (ie. the positioning of the switches). If you needed a different mechanical layout, you would end up with 2 hardware variants. If you could achieve a horizontal enter without changing the switch layouts, I can't see why they wouldn't offer it - after all, they have different keys (etched labels) already.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2019 - 04:43 PM