OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Testing TP2, lock-on-close-lid and brightness not working
psionlover
post Mar 25 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 825,001

A year ago I did a lot of testing on my gemini linux device and finally left it alone, because it did not work for the (very limited) use case I need it for. After a year I had some spare time and blew the dust from my gemini. The good news is that I made some progress and have more hope to use the gemini for my daily life. I want to use the gemini just offline and sync it with my desktop while being at home:
- agenda, contacts, tasks
- notes taking and text editing
- basic (osm) maps (foxtrotgps seems to fit the bill)
- music listening
- reading and annotating books and articles
Syncing is really a pain in the arse. Many progs don't like interference with their data from external systems. Other programs (like evolution) just refuse to work if there is no connection with a (caldev or carddev) server. I finallly found some very down to earth progs which just take what they are offered as data (calcurse, abook, wikidpad) and I succesfully using them for a while now. But I still have quite a few hick-ups which I hope you can help me with. I have TP2 installed and as far as I know I installed everything like I should. I did not use the flashtool to make a new image. Just upgraded from TP1. My main problem is that lock-on-close-lid is not working. I made sure 'enable lid watcher' is off as I understand it would interfere with 'xss-lock gemian-lock'. Another thing is that brightness is not working (not by 'Lxqt settings', nor by using Fn-N/Fn-B ). It used to work, I am not aware to have changed something.

If someone can give me hints I would very much like to hear.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Adam Boardman
post Mar 26 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 815,489

The version number is the upstream version number of the kernel we are based upon, it means nothing in the Gemian context, no one has yet got a newer kernel working to the state anyone would consider using it. Though it is an interesting project, so some day we may be able to update to a newer kernel version.

The date is currently the only way we can tell kernels apart, we are applying our small fixes to the available kernel, if the date is old, so is the kernel.

I have suggested that you check the dates on the files in your /usr/share/kernel folder, specifically the linux-boot.img one, though from the looks of your install logs you appear to have the old bootloader and chosen to flash a 'stowaways' kernel do I take it that you have more than one debian installed?

Could you provide the following:

1. Which key combination do you use to boot gemian?
2. Date stamps/file listing for files in /usr/share/kernel/
3. A directory listing of /.stowaways/ (just the names will do)

This will let me confirm that your actually booting the boot3 kernel (esc+silver), that the boot image components are uptodate, and that you do have a 'debian' stowaway to be able to boot (strikes me as unlikely anyone other than me would have that).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2019 - 10:58 AM