OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> All the keyboard layouts published so far
LoneTech
post Feb 23 2018, 01:40 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 816,149

As a Swede, I note we seem to have lost the dead accent key. There's no obvious way to spell idé (which indeed is a distinct word from ide). But we apparently get to keep the completely unused ¤ and § symbols. I'm not that upset; this format was going to be a compromise from the start. Perhaps it's a less clear method like shift+fn+i e? As a sidenote, I wonder what our word for idé was before loaning that from french...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grench
post Feb 23 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 816,120

QUOTE(LoneTech @ Feb 23 2018, 03:40 AM) *
As a Swede, I note we seem to have lost the dead accent key. There's no obvious way to spell idé (which indeed is a distinct word from ide). But we apparently get to keep the completely unused ¤ and § symbols. I'm not that upset; this format was going to be a compromise from the start. Perhaps it's a less clear method like shift+fn+i e? As a sidenote, I wonder what our word for idé was before loaning that from french...

Normal Android methodology - used elsewhere as well (Linux based e-Readers & the like) is to press & hold the unaccented key for a moment then a menu pops up allowing you to toggle through the accented versions of the base character. I don't know if that type of system will be used on the Gemini, but I wouldn't count it out.

+Quote Post
depscribe
post Feb 23 2018, 11:28 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 815,753

QUOTE(Grench @ Feb 23 2018, 11:10 AM) *
QUOTE(LoneTech @ Feb 23 2018, 03:40 AM) *

Normal Android methodology - used elsewhere as well (Linux based e-Readers & the like) is to press & hold the unaccented key for a moment then a menu pops up allowing you to toggle through the accented versions of the base character. I don't know if that type of system will be used on the Gemini, but I wouldn't count it out.

I think that one of the early reviews -- Gemini Planet, maybe -- mentioned that this exists on the production gadget.

+Quote Post
Varti
post Feb 24 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #19

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21,713

QUOTE(depscribe @ Feb 23 2018, 08:28 PM) *
QUOTE(Grench @ Feb 23 2018, 11:10 AM) *

I think that one of the early reviews -- Gemini Planet, maybe -- mentioned that this exists on the production gadget.

Yes, this has been confirmed to be working by Mike Halsey, he tried this on his Gemini.

Varti

+Quote Post
eedesign
post Mar 12 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 815,780

I received the following keyboard layouts from Robin today.

13. Chinese keyboard
16. Danish keyboard
17. Dvorak keyboard
22. Hebrew keyboard
23. Hungarian keyboard
26. Korean keyboard
28. Norwegian keyboard
29. Polish keyboard
30. Portuguese keyboard
35. Thai keyboard

Attached are the pdf and image files.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Gemini_Keyboards.zip ( 2.62MB ) Number of downloads: 78
Attached File  Gemini_Keyboards.pdf ( 1.9MB ) Number of downloads: 198

+Quote Post
Varti
post Mar 13 2018, 12:27 AM
Post #21

Thanks eedesign, I'll update the list later today.

Varti

+Quote Post
Varti
post Mar 19 2018, 02:11 AM
Post #22

First post updated.

Varti

+Quote Post
nathan
post May 16 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 822,694

I just noticed that in the Dvorak layout, the entire bottom row is shifted left one key because normally the ";" is placed where the qwerty "Z" key is. IFor Dvorak, the QKJXBMWV and Z keys are all in the wrong position--they're typed with different fingers!

However there's no room to fit all the alphabet characters in the normal Dvorak positions without moving the right shift and arrow cluster because the V should be where the up arrow is, and the Z should be where the right shift is. If the Fn can be moved to the right of the space, perhaps there's room for the arrow cluster on the left by sacrificing the ";" key (the Z in qwerty).

I know that only the UK and US layouts have been produced. Have the other layouts been finalized?

+Quote Post
Wille
post Jun 25 2018, 08:41 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 824,943

In Fin/Swe layout I would prefer to have 'ä' as a primary, not 'ö'. Not sure about Swedish but in Finnish letter 'ö' is in a few words but 'ä' exist most frequently.
Finnish keyboard settings doesn't work properly, but Swedish does, so no problem.

+Quote Post
Anssi
post Jul 2 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 825,329

QUOTE(Wille @ Jun 25 2018, 04:41 PM) *
In Fin/Swe layout I would prefer to have 'ä' as a primary, not 'ö'. Not sure about Swedish but in Finnish letter 'ö' is in a few words but 'ä' exist most frequently.
Finnish keyboard settings doesn't work properly, but Swedish does, so no problem.

I added a Gemini Fin/Swe layout with swapped Ä/Ö in FinQwerty (GitHub, Google Play).

+Quote Post
szopin
post Feb 24 2019, 07:38 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 842,637

QUOTE(eedesign @ Mar 12 2018, 10:58 PM) *
I received the following keyboard layouts from Robin today.

13. Chinese keyboard
16. Danish keyboard
17. Dvorak keyboard
22. Hebrew keyboard
23. Hungarian keyboard
26. Korean keyboard
28. Norwegian keyboard
29. Polish keyboard
30. Portuguese keyboard
35. Thai keyboard

Attached are the pdf and image files.

The polish layout seems to be missing '?' (doesn't display here but the letter C with apostrophe above it), can it be fixed by editing some config files on the device? Wonder if that can be fixed for Cosmo, as it's a bit late (also not sure how the layout could be fixed as all keys seem to have all 3, would need to drop something less useful like maybe the smiley)

+Quote Post
Daniel W
post Feb 25 2019, 09:00 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 823,019

QUOTE(Wille @ Jun 25 2018, 05:41 PM) *
Not sure about Swedish but in Finnish letter 'ö' is in a few words but 'ä' exist most frequently.

In Finnish, Ä is over eight times as common as Ö, but in Swedish they are roughly equally common (Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency). I guess the rationale is that, on a regular Swedish/Finnish keyboard, Ö is the letter expected to sit to the right of L.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 10:30 PM