Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

OESF Portables Forum _ Off Topic forum _ Issue With Wget, Ipkg, Etc.

Posted by: Capn_Fish Sep 11 2007, 05:56 PM

I have an odd issue with wget, ipkg, apt-get, XVhat, and other apps that try to access the net. Many times they'll fail to find the site they're trying to access and assume it's IP is 1.0.0.0, then time out. It works much more often, if not almost always, over my desktop's wired connection, making me believe that it's a wireless thing.

Any ideas? This is getting really annoying.

Posted by: T3_slider Sep 11 2007, 06:40 PM

I don't know how to fix it, but it sounds like a problem either with DHCP (ie getting your IP) or getting a nameserver (usually also assigned over DHCP when using WiFi). The only thing I would suggest is confirming the right WiFi settings and ejecting/reinserting the card, but I'm sure you've already tried that.
Basically you'll have to wait for someone better at this than me (which is most people) to help you out.

The nameserver used is located in /etc/resolv.conf, but I'm not sure how that gets assigned in pdaXrom.

Posted by: sdjf Sep 12 2007, 12:53 PM

I would run commands like "route" and "ifconfig" to see if/how you are connected before trying to do wget, etc.

Also try "ping google.com" and "nslookup google.com".

If no packets are returned by ping, and your Z can't find google, you ain't made it to the net for sure.

sdjf

Posted by: Capn_Fish Sep 12 2007, 03:41 PM

Oh, I know I'm connected. I'll be surfing the net just fine, then decide to wget some source or something, and it won't work.

Posted by: adf Sep 12 2007, 03:46 PM

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Sep 12 2007, 03:41 PM)
Oh, I know I'm connected. I'll be surfing the net just fine, then decide to wget some source or something, and it won't work.
*

proxy/ftp blocking issue? Obvious maybe, but..well... sometimes the obvious is worth mentioning

Posted by: Capn_Fish Sep 13 2007, 03:35 AM

I don't think so. I can browse the sites just fiine, and DLing in the browser works OK, but wget/ipkg doesn't.

Posted by: sdjf Sep 19 2007, 01:58 PM

I would run strace every time I did a wget download that was likely to fail until I got the output from one of those time outs. The output can be huge (megs) but is usually worth it. Have you done that?

Oh, the default output sometimes doesn't reveal what I want to see, so I increase the character limit per line. Here's an example command with 100 characters, and output directed to my SD card (you can name the output file whatever you want):

strace -f -v -s 100 -o /mnt/card/wget.strace wget [any wget options go here] URL-OF-FILE-YOU-WANT-TO-FETCH &

sdjf

Posted by: Capn_Fish Sep 19 2007, 02:14 PM

I don't know why, but pinging the site before I wget from it seems to help, so I guess this issue is mostly solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions (I may still look into it)!

Posted by: Capn_Fish Dec 19 2007, 02:38 PM

FWIW, it appears to be an issue with my DNS server. Switching to OpenDNS seems to fix the issue nicely.

Posted by: speculatrix Dec 26 2007, 03:12 PM

you don't have http proxy set do you?

some ISPs do nasty things to people's DNS - NTL for example in the UK transparently hijack all DNS to their own resolvers - why, I don't know - but it really messes things up!

personally, I prefer to run my own caching resolver on my linux gateway - I don't like the idea of anyone being able to mangle DNS to favour anyone for whatever political correct purposes they purport to use - and opendns with their whitelisting/blacklisting strikes me as giving someone else control over what I do! I recall when verisign started hijacking NX results to favour advertisers which was pretty evil!

Powered by Invision Power Board (http://www.invisionboard.com)
© Invision Power Services (http://www.invisionpower.com)