OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Userland and VNC
salvomic
post Nov 3 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 818,107

Hi, please,
I need some hints to use X server with UserLAnd (Debian 9.5) inside Android with VNC, as I don't want use XSDL server for now...
I've UserLand already configured, installed vnc4server and ip = 192.168.1.13, then Real VNC in the Gemini.
How can I configure to see X server (graphic) in VNC (Gemini)?
And how to do to connect from another VNC viewer, for example from macOS?

Thank you

Salvo

PS: sorry for the OT: not Gemini-Debian smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
salvomic
post Nov 5 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #2

ok, I was able to go in VNC so:
CODE
export DISPLAY=:1

In VNC:
CODE
127.0.0.1:1

but now I've a high resolution but low color depth (256?): how can I enable full color? EDIT: I got full color setting
CODE
vncserver -depth 32
(instead of 24) in UserLAnd.

Then, I've now a limited keyboard: I can type "/" but not "-", "~" and all symbols with FN in my Italian keyboard (with XSDL I had problems also with /).
The rest is ok!
The keyboard should be Gemini (Italian) as set in Android and it is ok in UserLand text only shell, but in X is not possible to use all the symbols with FN key.

Any help?
TIA.

Salvo

+Quote Post
salvomic
post Nov 6 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #3

A workaround by Nicholas M. Glykos:
«I have a solution but requires a bit of work. The trick is to run tigervnc with the -RemapKeys flag.

Give it a try with

CODE
vncserver -RemapKeys="0x6F->0x2D"

and you should see that the minus key is mapped correctly. The trouble is that you have to do this for all keys of interest.»

Now, I need to remap, at least, minus "-" (here FN-smile.gif and tilde "~" (here FN-s)...
Well, the Nicholas' tip continues:
«You do

CODE
apt install vtshowkeys

and then you get the correct codes from the proper termux terminal.
Then you open aterm, run again vtshowkeys and get the wrong ones. And then you add all these in the RemapKeys flags, place it in .bashrc and you are done.»

+Quote Post
gemini_user_j
post Mar 11 2019, 09:17 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 827,849

QUOTE(salvomic @ Nov 6 2018, 10:01 AM) *
A workaround by Nicholas M. Glykos:
«I have a solution but requires a bit of work. The trick is to run tigervnc with the -RemapKeys flag.

Give it a try with

CODE
vncserver -RemapKeys="0x6F->0x2D"

and you should see that the minus key is mapped correctly. The trouble is that you have to do this for all keys of interest.»

Now, I need to remap, at least, minus "-" (here FN-smile.gif and tilde "~" (here FN-s)...
Well, the Nicholas' tip continues:
«You do

CODE
apt install vtshowkeys

and then you get the correct codes from the proper termux terminal.
Then you open aterm, run again vtshowkeys and get the wrong ones. And then you add all these in the RemapKeys flags, place it in .bashrc and you are done.»

Hi, do you know if there is a way to make this also work in UserLAnd on Android?

fn key doesnt change to alternate symbols, but still modifies loudness and brightness, so making o instead of minus sad.gif

+Quote Post
salvomic
post May 12 2019, 12:31 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(gemini_user_j @ Mar 11 2019, 06:17 PM) *
Hi, do you know if there is a way to make this also work in UserLAnd on Android?

fn key doesnt change to alternate symbols, but still modifies loudness and brightness, so making o instead of minus sad.gif

I don't have a simple hint, the problem in Android (in Gemini, still in Oreo 8.1) is that FN key is not handled by graphical modality for Linux emulation. Userland see it in text mode, but not in graphical mode (i.e. lxde).

Salvo

+Quote Post
salvomic
post May 13 2019, 06:39 AM
Post #6

Definitely I found a workaround for Userland (lxde) + VNC:
• using "show virtual keyboard - right below - and then input "special" keys (- ~ ` and those that require FN) with "keyboard icon" of VNC - left up - it works.
I'm using "Gemini Keyboard" (Italian setting) and Gboard as keyboards. I'm using Userland for a complete Debian 9.9 distribution (SSH) and its preconfigured lxde X with VNC in Android Oreo 8.1. The only problem is that the display is too small and I had to use "pinch" to enlarge or shrink too often smile.gif

Well, now it is simpler to simulate Linux in Android (not rooted) with Userland (and lxde + VNC as X).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2019 - 02:23 AM