OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any "quick draw" belt cases without metal clips available for Gemini?, Would make "one-handed" Gemini availability
pdtpoet
post Oct 4 2018, 05:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 823,827

I used to carry my Psion 5Mx in a pocket without a case. But my Psion is definitely a more rugged-appearing and handling machine than the Gemini. The Psion was dropped numerous times, and all it resulted in was a scurrying around for the AA batteries (which always seemed to pop out as the result of a fall).

The leather Gemini case from Planet is serviceable and nicely thin, but it still requires 2 hands to pull the Gemini out of the case. If there were a thin case which flipped open that could be placed on a belt (no clips, just openings in the case back for threading through a belt), then the Gemini could be pulled from that case, ready for immediate opening - a much more satisfying move than with the current case.

Anyone find a case like that in the wild and if so can you let this Forum know please??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
miked1541
post Oct 4 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 50,396

I have this one, but it is not thin. It is actually a wallet as well:

https://www.eholster.com/wallet-phone-case-...rge-smartphones

It's on sale right now. They also have a leather one.

miked1541

+Quote Post
pdtpoet
post Oct 4 2018, 12:54 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(miked1541 @ Oct 4 2018, 03:05 PM) *
I have this one, but it is not thin. It is actually a wallet as well:

https://www.eholster.com/wallet-phone-case-...rge-smartphones

It's on sale right now. They also have a leather one.

miked1541

Thank you for the rapid reply, but this is actually 'way too bulky for me. If they just had the phone section alone...

pdtpoet

+Quote Post
Pete G.
post Oct 4 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 817,659

Probably not all that useful to you, but I might as well show off my belt holster biggrin.gif

Attached Image

I made it a quarter-century ago for my first Psion, and it held a succession of models. Since my last one died a few years ago, though, it was hanging empty on my belt. One reason I was ecstatic to hear about the Gemini! It's slightly oversized now, but the 5MX was a snug fit.

It's made from a carpenter's (I guess) belt pouch I bought at a hardware store. The flap was added with some plain leather from a craft shop, and is held closed with some sturdy Velcro. The belt slots are reinforced above with a small strip of wood bolted on. All blackened with leather dye.

Perfect for quick access. As you can see from the photo, I have a fair "Utility Belt" -- much more convenient than pockets when riding my bike in shorts as I usually do.,..

+Quote Post
pdtpoet
post Oct 5 2018, 05:57 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Pete G. @ Oct 4 2018, 07:40 PM) *
Probably not all that useful to you, but I might as well show off my belt holster biggrin.gif

Attached Image

I made it a quarter-century ago for my first Psion, and it held a succession of models. Since my last one died a few years ago, though, it was hanging empty on my belt. One reason I was ecstatic to hear about the Gemini! It's slightly oversized now, but the 5MX was a snug fit.

It's made from a carpenter's (I guess) belt pouch I bought at a hardware store. The flap was added with some plain leather from a craft shop, and is held closed with some sturdy Velcro. The belt slots are reinforced above with a small strip of wood bolted on. All blackened with leather dye.

Perfect for quick access. As you can see from the photo, I have a fair "Utility Belt" -- much more convenient than pockets when riding my bike in shorts as I usually do.,..

Pete - Very inspirational! Unfortunately, I have no craft skills. Also, I think it is too big for my needs...even if i could build it.

I found one on eBay custom-made for the Gemini - here is the link:
Attached Image
Attached Image

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gemini-PDA-Leather...zIAAOSwzFBbREAu

It's perfect for my needs, as it is thin and unobtrusive but very protective, and has a "quick-draw" configuration with a magnetic clasp and a pocket for the "cover emoval tool" - it is expensive, but so is my 4G + wifi Gemini - and I always felt that the Planet Computer leather cover is not very protective of shocks.

Thanks again,

pdtpoet

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2019 - 01:38 PM