OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Zaurus Replacement (perhaps)
ralphrmartin
post May 3 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,192

Maybe, finally, this really IS the thingy to replace the Zaurus:

Medion are launching a UMPC with keyboard which will be available in the UK
for £800 - not too much more than the Zaurus SL-C860 cost way back when - but only $1000 in the us and €1000 in Europe - we Brits get ripped off again.

VIA C7-M 770ULV 1Ghz processor with 400Mhz bus, 6.5" display 800 x 640, keyboard, 30Gb disk, 768Mb RAM, Wifi g, Bluetooth 2, SD/SD-IO/MMC card reader, Web cam / microphone / speaker, SD Card slot, 2 x USB Port, VGA Port, Firewire port, Vista (OK, there had to be some downside....)

Weighs 740g.

Available "soon"

https://www.medionshop.co.uk/?areaID=43EB8C...10000000A00005C

See also
http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8479
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cresho
post May 3 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 809

hmm...
CAN IT RUN UBUNTU>?

How about a refund? after I purchase the stupid OS, how can I get a refund? I know Dell does it!

+Quote Post
desertrat
post May 3 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,322

I wish people would stop posting all these Z "replacement" threads. For me the Z is a pocketable device that allows me to run "full-size" "desktop" applications. Anything which is not pocketable and doesn't have a decent keyboard[1] cannot be a potential Z replacement. This rules out the majority of UMPCs. The most likely candidates will come from the "phone" devices like the HTC Universal. For me, if it's not pocketable why spend good money on an overpriced, under specced umpc when I get can get a decent laptop?

[1] By decent keyboard I mean it should have keys that are essential for Linux shell work - TAB. ESC, '/', '|' etc

+Quote Post
adf
post May 3 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(desertrat @ May 4 2007, 05:12 AM)
I wish people would stop posting all these Z "replacement" threads. For me the Z is a pocketable device that allows me to run "full-size" "desktop" applications. Anything which is not pocketable and doesn't have a decent keyboard[1] cannot be a potential Z replacement. This rules out the majority of UMPCs. The most likely candidates will come from the "phone" devices like the HTC Universal. For me, if it's not pocketable why spend good money on an overpriced, under specced umpc when I get can get a decent laptop?

[1] By decent keyboard I mean it should have keys that are essential for Linux shell work - TAB. ESC, '/', '|' etc

..or in the near future you could get several olpcs

+Quote Post
Meanie
post May 3 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(desertrat @ May 4 2007, 03:12 PM)

The Z is irreplacable. There is nothing out there that can even come close to the Z and why would you want to replace it with some other dodgy less feature rich device anyway? Why are some of you so eager to replace it anyway? If you want to waste your money, buy me a 6000 or 5600 smile.gif

+Quote Post
ralphrmartin
post May 3 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #6

I wish people would stop posting all these Z "replacement" threads. For me the Z is a pocketable device that allows me to run "full-size" "desktop" applications. Anything which is not pocketable and doesn't have a decent keyboard[1] cannot be a potential Z replacement.

Well, this device is bigger than a Z, but would fit in a big pocket. And its keyboard looks at least as good as the Z's.

I agree I want a device I can carry everywhere with me.

+Quote Post
Chero
post May 4 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,962

QUOTE(ralphrmartin @ May 4 2007, 08:50 AM)
I wish people would stop posting all these Z "replacement" threads. For me the Z is a pocketable device that allows me to run "full-size" "desktop" applications. Anything which is not pocketable and doesn't have a decent keyboard[1] cannot be a potential Z replacement.

Well, this device is bigger than a Z, but would fit in a big pocket. And its keyboard looks at least as good as the Z's.

It has about the dimensions of my old Jornada 680 which never fitted in any pocket.

It's also a heavy device : 740g, that's more than 2xZ and even more than my old Jornada 680 which I used to describe as "too heavy".

Chero.

+Quote Post
desertrat
post May 4 2007, 05:38 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(ralphrmartin @ May 4 2007, 07:50 AM)
Well, this device is bigger than a Z, but would fit in a big pocket.
Volume wise it's 2.5 times that of the Z and weight wise, Chero says it's more than twice as heavy. How can you compare a device like that to the Z? I could tolerate a slightly larger and slightly heavier design say within about 120% of the Z, but over 200% - no way jose.

That's the beauty of the Z, you can just take it with you anywhere without having to think "should I really be carrying such a big lump with me?"

+Quote Post
desertrat
post May 4 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(adf @ May 4 2007, 06:15 AM)
..or in the near future you could get several olpcs
But it's not available to the general public, or have they reneged on that principle as well? Anyway at the original $100 price point, I would have been happy to buy one at $300 and have the OLPC org give 2 devices to some needy children.

+Quote Post
ralphrmartin
post May 4 2007, 11:32 AM
Post #10

[quote=desertrat,May 4 2007, 01:38 PM]
Well, this device is bigger than a Z, but would fit in a big pocket.[/quote]Volume wise it's 2.5 times that of the Z and weight wise, Chero says it's more than twice as heavy. How can you compare a device like that to the Z?

[/quote]

OK, point taken.

The Sony Vaio isn't it either. The screen is unradable without optical aids (a magnifying glass etc).

Back to the search....

+Quote Post
cycle_55
post May 4 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,143

I am afraid only a Z is capable of replacing a Z....that is not to say that there are no other interesting machines out there but only a Z is a Z and all that that implies. smile.gif

cycle_55

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post May 4 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(Meanie @ May 4 2007, 01:22 AM)
The Z is irreplacable. There is nothing out there that can even come close to the Z and why would you want to replace it with some other dodgy less feature rich device anyway? Why are some of you so eager to replace it anyway? If you want to waste your money, buy me a 6000 or 5600 smile.gif

I agree. The Z is (for the foreseeable future) irreplaceable. Does it not do just about anything you want it to?

+Quote Post
Antikx
post May 4 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,127

QUOTE(cycle_55 @ May 4 2007, 04:52 PM)
I am afraid only a Z is capable of replacing a Z....that is not to say that there are no other interesting machines out there but only a Z is a Z and all that that implies.  smile.gif

cycle_55

Well put.

+Quote Post
chyang
post May 5 2007, 05:30 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 156

I really hope that Intel can closely co-operate with Sharp on the next generation Z, with their long time co-operation in Zaurus, it seems to be possible. But don't sure whether it will come to True. Since the biggest problem of current Z is what Intel's mobile internet device provides: connectivity, with it, Zaurus will be a perfect platform.
Meanwhile, a Zaurus with x86 instruction set seems to be tempting. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Snappy
post May 5 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,633

Yeap ... only a Z is a Z ... and as it is ... a Z is the one that is EOL ...

For myself, I don't mind these posts about possible Z replacements. It's good to know the different gadgets sprouting out there while SHARP decides to end a marvellous product like Z.

And when a similar product at a suitable price range comes along, I'll try it out ... and who knows, it might replace my Z. Afterall, at one time, I didn't think I can do without a Palm T3! smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2019 - 03:25 AM