OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Considering Sailfish -- is there a comprehensive howto?
depscribe
post Jul 24 2018, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 815,753

I haven't even fired up my Gemini for a few weeks now, finding the GPD Pocket a far preferable device for Linux and for docking to a desktop setup. But I hope to return to the Gemini as a phone/pda once things are a little farther along on the software side. It looks as if this means Sailfish.

(No disrespect -- indeed, praise and thanks -- to Adam B and Nikita and the others who have been working long and hard and well on Debian for Gemini.)

A couple of concerns, the first being how extensively Sailfish, as it exists and as it is envisioned, relies on bits of Googledroid. Specifically, whether it is possible to eliminate Android entirely from the device, or if Sailfish (as does Linux) required Android to be installed also. (The necessity of Android even for a Linux install would have been a dealbreaker for me and I would not have backed the project had this been made clear; alas, PC has not made much clear.)

Is there any working Gemini configuration that is Googledroid-free?

The second concern is whether there is a page anyplace that walks one through the switch to Sailfish in the way that Adam's git-hub page does with Debian? Lots of questions, particularly involving Wayland and applications, as well as of course a recipe for getting Sailfish installed and running on the Gemini.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Meganerd
post Aug 17 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 824,617

I believe you can run x11 applications with xwayland. Ill give it a shot tonight.

Edit: I was able to install xwayland, still trying to get x running

+Quote Post
depscribe
post Aug 17 2018, 08:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Meganerd @ Aug 17 2018, 10:58 AM) *
I believe you can run x11 applications with xwayland. Ill give it a shot tonight.

I'll be really interested to hear your results. All I could find about it was from here, which is more than four years old:
https://together.jolla.com/question/36877/h...ely-or-locally/

+Quote Post
Meganerd
post Aug 18 2018, 05:55 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 824,617

QUOTE(depscribe @ Aug 17 2018, 08:07 PM) *

I'll be really interested to hear your results. All I could find about it was from here, which is more than four years old:

I kept getting a xbd keymap error at first, so I commented out the keycodes above 255 at
/usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev

Then I was able to start xwayland server successfully.

But still having some trouble

+Quote Post
depscribe
post Aug 18 2018, 07:26 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Meganerd @ Aug 18 2018, 05:55 AM) *
QUOTE(depscribe @ Aug 17 2018, 08:07 PM) *

I kept getting a xbd keymap error at first, so I commented out the keycodes above 255 at
/usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev

Then I was able to start xwayland server successfully.

But still having some trouble

Oh, my. Seems to me that an ability to run X11 applications under Sailfish/Wayland would be crucial to its success and adoption. (In my estimation, more so than the ability to run Android applications -- that "feature" certainly didn't save Blackberry OS 10.) Alternately, a quick and easy way to recompile for Gemini/Sailfish/Wayland. For example, I use ProtonMail, which can be a real pain unless one uses a dedicated application. The one I typically use is this: https://github.com/protonmail-desktop/application

I'll need to impose on Vader to get from him a sense of how I can recompile this for Sailfish -- along, I suppose, with some recipe for making an RPM out of the results so that the package manager will know it's installed. (I hope that by now this matters -- I haven't used a Redhat package system for close to 20 years, and its shortcomings led me to switch to a Debian derivative, which is very good at keeping track of what's installed and what isn't.)

Just now another issue: I opened the "People" app to see if there is a recipe for importing contacts from my SIM card. The SIM card is not listed among the places whence contacts can be brought in. But, weirdly, the names of all those contacts already populate the application -- but their details do not. Is this a symptom of the dreaded X25/X27 SIM card problem?

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2019 - 05:29 AM