OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The New Data App, help required in the use of this app
rodgos
post Dec 20 2018, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 822,018

Hi, Has anyone used the new Data app, in any serious way? I've installed the thing, with no problems, but the biggest problem is "How do you use the blessed thing". I'm a great fan of databases, and my Psion netBook, currently houses fourteen of the things. I've, in the past built, setup, managed and used many such. The Psion Data, I have to admit is one of the best flat databases I've ever come across. Endlessly configurable, neat, and user friendly. This Gemini database has me beat. As an app, it's one of the most opaque objects that i've ever come across. A database is just a set of listings of associated things. An address book is one of such, with fields for names, addresses, etc. In this app, I can generate a database, but from there it's as clear as mud as far as creating fields and populating those fields with data, and later organising the presentation in a logical and/or pleasing way, goes. any help, anyone?
In the Psion netBook, I can import or export data, and have in the past, done so. In the new app, the import data seems to be absent, although i can export the data that, so far, I've been unable to enter. Just to add to the frustration, having created a test database, I can find no way of deleting it. is this real?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
rodgos
post Jan 17 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 822,018

That seems to be resolved. I've re-installed the gemini database from the revised text based .csv. Unfortunately it didn't work the other way about.. having two copies of the same database on two machines is not feasible for keeping them both in sync, and my modified .csv, while installable on the gemini is now not compatible on the Psion netBook. More headscratching required. I've been playing around with the newly installed data file, and have found a few snags. I'll open another thread for these, unless someone can point me back to the programming team at Planet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 09:23 AM