OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trackball Suggestions?
jakfish
post Jun 7 2018, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91,772

As I wait for my Gemini, I'd like to ask veteran users if they can recommend a bluetooth (or wireless as Plan B) trackball.

It seems to me that a trackball would be easier to use in cramped areas (e.g. seat trays) than a mouse with its need for a pad. I'm hoping to keep the Gemini's form factor as intact as possible.

But whatever people suggest would be much appreciated.

Jake
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vader
post Jun 7 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 816,775

QUOTE(jakfish @ Jun 8 2018, 06:14 AM) *
As I wait for my Gemini, I'd like to ask veteran users if they can recommend a bluetooth (or wireless as Plan cool.gif trackball.

It seems to me that a trackball would be easier to use in cramped areas (e.g. seat trays) than a mouse with its need for a pad. I'm hoping to keep the Gemini's form factor as intact as possible.

But whatever people suggest would be much appreciated.

Jake

I have used a Logitech Bluetooth Mouse M555b (which I just happened to have) and it worked. At work, I use a logitech M570 trackball mouse - it is a 2.4G USB dongle type device, but you can plug that into the left or right side of the gemini. Hang on, I'll just check that it works......Yep. You just need a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

+Quote Post
jakfish
post Jun 7 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Thank you for a quick response and the specific device info. In general, do you use external input? Or can you get by on the touch screen alone?

Jake

+Quote Post
vader
post Jun 7 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(jakfish @ Jun 8 2018, 12:18 PM) *
Thank you for a quick response and the specific device info. In general, do you use external input? Or can you get by on the touch screen alone?

Jake

For normal use, I use touch. You really only need a light touch, and when the gemini is on a desk/table, the screen is supported by the hinge. I have used a mouse when doing PC like things (word processing etc), but not every time. The one accessory I use a lot is a joystick for playing retro games like PSP, N64 etc. Works really well. For 90+% of the time, I have no other input but the keyboard and touch.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jun 7 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,806

I use the logitech MX Ergo, i do have a m570 but the ergo is significantly nicer to use day to day to the point i was carrying it to and from work. Defiently worth the extra cost. the m570 only makes sense to me if you are unsure if you want a trackball or not.

have used it with the gemini and it works fine and being able to pair with 2 devices and switch between them has been nice when the laptop is around

+Quote Post
jakfish
post Jun 8 2018, 05:29 AM
Post #6

Great info, many thanks. I'm also looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nakabayashi-Bluetoot...ons+%28Black%29

since it seems smaller, but it also doesn't get as high a mark for build quality.

I'm glad to hear that Android on the Gemini is manageable through touch alone, but I was wondering if any Linux/Gemini user feels the same. Given the Debian GUI, is there a need for external pointers, etc?

Jake

+Quote Post
vader
post Jun 8 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jun 8 2018, 02:48 PM) *
I use the logitech MX Ergo, i do have a m570 but the ergo is significantly nicer to use day to day to the point i was carrying it to and from work. Defiently worth the extra cost. the m570 only makes sense to me if you are unsure if you want a trackball or not.

have used it with the gemini and it works fine and being able to pair with 2 devices and switch between them has been nice when the laptop is around

The Ergo looks like a nice device. I use an m570 at work and find it more than comfortable, but now you have me looking at the Ergo smile.gif Damn........

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jun 20 2018, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

did anyone use one of the early HTC Desire phones, which had tiny tiny trackballs? Ideal for scrolling. Android got changed so they became irrelevant. I seem to recall having a Blackberry for a short while, at work, with a similar thing.

maybe a second generation G could have one?
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/9308

+Quote Post
petefoth
post Jun 21 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 816,405

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jun 20 2018, 07:27 PM) *
did anyone use one of the early HTC Desire phones, which had tiny tiny trackballs? Ideal for scrolling. Android got changed so they became irrelevant. I seem to recall having a Blackberry for a short while, at work, with a similar thing.

maybe a second generation G could have one?
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/9308

Yes. My second Android phone, after an HTC Hero. THe trackball worked well. I still have the phone somewhere at home.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2019 - 06:24 PM