OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keys getting stuck
iJacks
post Nov 26 2019, 05:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 823,791

Does anybody know a, safe, way to remove the keys on the Cosmo? My "S" key keeps getting stuck, probably a bad spring not returning to the right position. I'll be getting in touch with PC about this, but in the meantime was wondering if there is anything I can do myself?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maki.jouni
post Nov 26 2019, 07:28 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 850,543

https://geminiplanet.com/how-to-clean-the-gemini-keyboard/

+Quote Post
iJacks
post Nov 26 2019, 07:40 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(maki.jouni @ Nov 26 2019, 04:28 PM) *

Thank you. Good job I have my Gemini at home. The Cosmo doesn't have the removal tool (no need for it). Hopefully it just needs to be reseated...

+Quote Post
Tom D
post Nov 26 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 815,874

The one area I have noticed this from the time I received the Cosmo is in the top row keys. Numbers either don't work or type double. It makes entering passwords challenging. I've gotten used to it, as I use a very slow, deliberate quick, forceful press and release on these keys and it works most of the time. It does slow me down, but I'm hoping that the keys (or whatever) will settle over time and become more reliable.

+Quote Post
iJacks
post Nov 26 2019, 02:58 PM
Post #5

So far I've had to remove almost all of the keys on the left hand side and replace them. Seems that they are not sitting quite flush (from a rotational perspective) and are hitting each other every now and then. Seems a little better now, time will tell. Mind you, considering the delays for "quality control" issues I am a touch disappointed with the keyboard - especially when this was one of the main failings of the first batch of Gemini devices.

+Quote Post
gidds
post Nov 26 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 816,386

QUOTE(iJacks @ Nov 26 2019, 01:56 PM) *
Does anybody know a, safe, way to remove the keys on the Cosmo?

Assuming it's the same as the Gemini and Psion 5mx: a blob of Blu Tack has always worked for me.

Press it down firmly to cover most of a key (but none of the surrounding ones), then yank it sharply upwards; the keytop will usually come with it.  (May need a few goes until you get the hang of it.)

I think this way is safer than the alternative of trying to lever the keytops off, as it has no hard surfaces to do any damage, and the keytops seem to come off much easier if they're kept straight and level.

(While you're there, you can also use the Blu Tack to remove dust and debris from the rubber mat under the keytops.)

+Quote Post
ZimbiX
post Dec 4 2019, 06:31 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 838,517

Unfortunately my G key gets its top-left edge stuck down - if I press it down off-centre towards that corner at all (not pushing it sideways, mind). I suppose I'm lucky it's just the one. I've attached some photos of the situation. When it's stuck, the corner remains pretty much touching the floor.

@gidds Thanks for letting us know about your blu-tack trick; I'll try that!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ZimbiX
post Dec 4 2019, 06:56 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 838,517

Ah dear.

Well, removing keys with blu-tack worked great - see the attached photos for what the inside looks like.

I thoroughly dabbed blu-tack all over the underside of the key and the slot, but it didn't change anything.

So now there's two C-shaped stuck out bits that form a sort of X shape. I noticed a lip at the top of one of the C's which I thought might be a mistake from the plastic casting mold and the cause of the stickiness, so.. I scraped it off with a tiny screwdriver. Unfortunately, this hasn't improved the situation a whole lot, at the cost of the key no longer having much resistance to coming off. Derp. I may have to request a replacement key. We'll see how it lasts.

So I'd recommend not scraping off the lip xP
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jutleys
post Dec 10 2019, 11:23 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 815,769

I also had problems with one key n0 4 i fixed with the blu tack method pic to the left was before and right after smile.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2019 - 04:14 PM