OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flash drive + Cosmo cable + adapter problem
cam1965
post Feb 10 2020, 11:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 848,911

Hi, when I use the cosmo cable + USB adapter ( female to female usb ) + Flash drive , it is not recognized.
When I use the mini usb c adapter ( Usb c to female usb ) + usb cable ( male to male ) + Usb adapter ( female to female ) + flash drive , it is recognized.
What is the problem with cosmo cable ?
Thank you
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dickon Hood
post Feb 10 2020, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 860,798

That's interesting. I hadn't checked mine.

I'm not entirely sure which cable I've just looked at is -- might well be the Gemini one, rather than the Cosmo -- but it looks to be a power cable only, rather than a proper, full USB3 thing. There don't appear to be the second set of conductors in the A end, and the C end is missing quite a lot of (what I seem to remember are) data pins.

Try again with a proper USB-C data cable?

+Quote Post
cam1965
post Feb 10 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Dickon Hood @ Feb 10 2020, 11:51 AM) *
That's interesting. I hadn't checked mine.

I'm not entirely sure which cable I've just looked at is -- might well be the Gemini one, rather than the Cosmo -- but it looks to be a power cable only, rather than a proper, full USB3 thing. There don't appear to be the second set of conductors in the A end, and the C end is missing quite a lot of (what I seem to remember are) data pins.

Try again with a proper USB-C data cable?

Ok. Thank you. I will buy an ( usb c to usb ) cable and try again. I've also tested in my gemini and the problem is the same.
Thank you again.

Note : the photos are from internet : not the real photos, but quite similar.

+Quote Post
clasqm
post Feb 10 2020, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 864,803

I don't think the adapter is the problem. I have a USB-C flash disk like this one

and cosmo recognition of it is a hit-or-miss affair. It takes several insertions to show up, and then some programs will find it and others won't. Looks like a firmware problem to me.

+Quote Post
cam1965
post Feb 11 2020, 02:23 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(clasqm @ Feb 10 2020, 11:25 PM) *
I don't think the adapter is the problem. I have a USB-C flash disk like this one

and cosmo recognition of it is a hit-or-miss affair. It takes several insertions to show up, and then some programs will find it and others won't. Looks like a firmware problem to me.

Thank you for the information . But if I use only the usb-c adapter ( this adapter above with letter " B " all usb flash disks are recognized the first time I insert .
The problem only occurs with the cosmo cable all the time . Also with the gemini cable I have.
Thank you so much again.

+Quote Post
adfh
post Feb 13 2020, 03:47 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 861,112

Supplied male USB C to male USB A cable is designed to use the Cosmo as a slave/device not as a host.
Using a female to female USB A adapter on the supplied cable will not enable host mode on the Cosmo.

At the very least, you need a male USB C to female USB A adapter.

I had this from when I was using a Nexus 5x and 6p:
https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c...ndard_a_adapter
... and it works fine for USB A devices on the left port (I normally run with the CODI off, so my right port is purely decorative biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
cam1965
post Feb 13 2020, 09:06 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(adfh @ Feb 13 2020, 03:47 AM) *
Supplied male USB C to male USB A cable is designed to use the Cosmo as a slave/device not as a host.
Using a female to female USB A adapter on the supplied cable will not enable host mode on the Cosmo.

At the very least, you need a male USB C to female USB A adapter.

I had this from when I was using a Nexus 5x and 6p:
https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c...ndard_a_adapter
... and it works fine for USB A devices on the left port (I normally run with the CODI off, so my right port is purely decorative biggrin.gif )

OK. Thank you. I am using the adapter with the marker "B" in the photo. (Male usb c to female usb A) as you said. It is just a curiosity as I said before.
Thank you again.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd February 2020 - 02:12 AM