Author Topic: Uae Built And Working - Any Optimisation Hints?  (Read 5075 times)

qx773

• View Profile
Uae Built And Working - Any Optimisation Hints?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 12:41:10 pm »
I once participated in an elliptic curve cryptography cracking project hosted by Robert Harley.  On the Alpha processor-based computer that I used for that effort, Robert Harley's code ran faster with the -O2 optimization flag than the -O3 optimization flag.  I am guessing that the speed optimizations such as loop unrolling and function inlining, which cause the size of the code to grow, caused instructions in the instruction cache to be displaced by redundant code, slowing down the execution of the non-redundant code as it had to be fetched from main memory.  You could try the -O2 compiler option and see if the code runs faster.

chiark

• View Profile
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 05:37:15 am »
Thanks for that - it's currently being built with -O2 optimisations.

I've rebuilt with iwmmxt support for CPU and Architecture, but am omitting the -mtune option as that seems to cause a segfault.

UAE is running acceptably fast without sound like this, and is usable on most things with a frameskip of less than 4 which is good.

Turning on sound completely slows down emulation.  There must be a way to deal with this somehow - I'll have a play.

chiark

• View Profile
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 10:22:15 am »
Well, I've been playing and am stuck.

Sound blows emulation out of the water still.  I've mailed Rich Drummond and got a responce suggesting something that might help (using a lookup table rather than relying on CPU multiplication for sound) but that doesn't make any difference.

I've built with both the SDL and non-SDL sound side of things, both seem about the same.

Any ideas? :-)