Author Topic: Yopi  (Read 13237 times)

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
Yopi
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2005, 09:28:46 am »
The poll we're running does seem to favour both X and OE based systems equally. My only gripe would be that Yopy users by going down the OE route will loose X which so many Z users are after

OE (actually it's now been renamed BitBake, OpenEmbedded is the name of the config files used to build for ARM embedded devices) is simply a build system, nothing more. It doesn't choose what kind of Windowing system you use (for want of a better word). Opie and GPE (which is simply X11 using matchbox as the WM) are both available as options, or you can choose a console only build.

These various options are implemented by creating a meta file which says "add this package to the ROM image", etc. Therefore it is very simple to change matchbox for a different WM, etc. and to add in whatever else a yopy should come with.

Therefore, assuming you add in the various bits of software which aren't in there already and which you need to use, you could create whatever type of system you wanted (automatically - which is the nice thing). From the screeshots I've seen, the yopy has a WM a bit like matchbox, assuming the code's about this could be added in and used.

I saw a poll on yopyng which was asking people to vote between Qtopia, Opie, GPE or Standard X11. ROM images for all of these options could be built using OE.

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
Yopi
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 10:03:27 am »
Thanks lardman, we really need to hammer it into people's minds that OpenEmbedded is neither device nor distribution specific, let alone X or framebuffer or whatever.

I think someone should make a xfce-image as 3rd GUI option for OpenZaurus, maybe then people will start to understand.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 10:04:36 am by Mickeyl »
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
    • http://
Yopi
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 12:00:00 pm »
Sorry I should have been clearer. By referring the X environment I was meaning the Gmate filesystem as is with some drop-in updates which is supposed to be quite straight forward according to other's I've spoken to.

I was referring to OE only in the specific context of building Opie - that is possible isn't it? or am I not getting it?  :-)

As for YopyNG I'm not involved in it, so I don't know what they use. But if I was going to have a go at *any* of this I'd wait until I know what YopyNG are planning or I could end up just repeating what others are doing.

I'd be more inclined to dabble and experiment if I had a second machine, but I actually *use* it heavily, so I can't afford any real downtime on this device. No ebooks or Oggs and I'd go mad, or start watching Sky One.  It's a good reason to petition the ball-n-chain for a second one...

-Francis- ;-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 12:36:59 pm by padishah_emperor »
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
Yopi
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2005, 12:25:33 pm »
I was referring to OE only in the specific context of building Opie - that is possible isn't it?

Oh yes, that's possible, but it's just one of a number of different possibilities.

Sorry I should have been clearer. By referring the X environment I was meaning the Gmate filesystem as is with some drop-in updates which is supposed to be quite straight forward according to other's I've spoken to.

No my fault, I don't know enough about the yopy. that said, if the sources are available they could be added to BB/OE and you could produce that type of image using BB/OE to build it.

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
    • http://
Yopi
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 12:32:28 pm »
No my fault, I don't know enough about the yopy. that said, if the sources are available they could be added to BB/OE and you could produce that type of image using BB/OE to build it.

Yep, maybe that's what YopyNG ARE doing. Curiousity means I'll have to ask now :-)

Is there a good comprehensive guide on this I could read, maybe something I could copy onto my Yopy for some light bedtime reading ;-) It's an interesting area I'd like to explore at some point, but I need to read up a bit more and know exactly what I'm getting into.

Actually someone has anonymously posted on YLUG that it's quite easy to use OE and pointed to a site, once I get my Mac sorted, Virtual PC and JDS on it, I'll have a go setting it all up.  Any initial pointers to guides would be appreciated.  Thanks for weighing in on this Si ;-)

-Francis
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 08:49:07 pm by padishah_emperor »
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.