Author Topic: Kde-pim/pi 2.1.0 Available!  (Read 213728 times)

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
Kde-pim/pi 2.1.0 Available!
« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2005, 05:49:39 am »
Will KOPI work on Hybrid? If so, what deps are needed?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I don't know, and no deps. kopiemail needs Openssl, but that's it.

maystorm

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2005, 10:14:57 am »
Sorry in advance for my newbie question...

I bought my CL3000 from Trisoft and it got Version 2.0.14 pre-installed. What would be the correct procedure for updating to the latest version? Would I just need to install the new *.ipk via the package manager ("Add/Remove software") and it'll replace all the old files with the the ones? Do I need to make a backup of my data files first?

Anything else I must observe? Additional dependicies?

Sorry, but I'm relatively new to the Zaurus world and how software is installed (and especially updated!) here...
Owner of a very happy Zaurus SL-C3000 since the day he was fed with pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1! Just made him even more happy by feeding him with pdaXii13 build 5.4.7.

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2005, 10:45:43 am »
maystorm,

Generally speaking you should always back up before you install new software, on virtually any system.

I just installed the 2.2.5 version of KO/Pi and KA/Pi yesterday (upgrading from 2.0.14 just like you).  Those are the only major components I use, but first you must uninstall the old versions, including the libs and the alarm applet, and then install the new versions, starting with the libs followed by the organizer and address book and the alram applet. Your actual data is saved to a different location, so when you start the new versions your data will already be there for you.

Oh, fwiw I did this on my C1000.

Good luck!

gdog
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:46:47 am by gdog »
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2005, 10:58:58 am »
yes backing up is always good.

download the latest zip file of kde pim pi.  When you unzip, you will see all the needed packages.  This will also tell you which packages need to be uninstalled first.

When you install kopi alarm, it might screw up the task bar a bit (missing applets).  Just restart qtopia and it should all come back proper.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

maystorm

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2005, 11:14:19 am »
@bluedevils
@gdog

Thanx for the quick replies! So, uninstall then re-install is the right order for upgrading a package? Would this be a general guideline for Zaurus software?

I'll try the latest version soon - and yes, I won't forget to do a backup of my data files first as this should be done on a regular basis anyway...
Owner of a very happy Zaurus SL-C3000 since the day he was fed with pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1! Just made him even more happy by feeding him with pdaXii13 build 5.4.7.

raybert

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2005, 12:31:29 pm »
So, uninstall then re-install is the right order for upgrading a package? Would this be a general guideline for Zaurus software?[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Yes, it is.

BTW, I wrote a script a while back to simplify the update process.  You can find it attached to [a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12034&st=70#]this post[/url].  It will automatically handle uninstalling and reinstalling only the kdepim apps that you had installed.  Use at your own risk but let me know if you have any problems.

~ray

maystorm

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 22, 2005, 01:06:07 pm »
@raybert

Thanx!

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 22, 2005, 11:40:24 pm »
I upgraded to 2.2.5 because I thought I had read somewhere that it fixed the annoying problem of the details view not staying set. But I've found that this is still a problem for me. Is it just me? Is there a way to keep the view split between names and details after I've suspended and then turned my C1K back on?

Thanks,

gdog

Eureka I think I've found it! If I turn on my C1K with the On/Off button the KDE Address app stays in Details view. But if I use the Address Hotkey to turn the unit on the view switches from Details to Names-only view after a second or two. I can live with that ;o)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 04:17:48 pm by gdog »

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
« Reply #293 on: November 23, 2005, 10:12:09 pm »
small issue here, tried to use my own wav file for the alarm, and it refuses to play it? ANy ideas? using v2.2.5
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

zautrix

• View Profile
    • http://www.pi-sync.net
« Reply #294 on: November 24, 2005, 11:00:04 am »
small issue here, tried to use my own wav file for the alarm, and it refuses to play it? ANy ideas? using v2.2.5
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
From the KO/Pi FAQ:

Q:
I want to get another alarm sound than the default. What I have to change?
A:
The default alarm sound is a wav file:
It is  (QPEDIR)/pics/korganizer/koalarm.wav.
(Usually QPEDIR=/home/QtPalmtop).
(On the desktop, the path is:
(installdir)/kdepim/korganizer/koalarm.wav)
Just replace this file by another one und do a
'simulate alarm' to ckeck, if it works.
('Simulate alarm' not available on the desktop,
because it is in the alarm applet)
Wav files can have different sampling data.
(e.g. 16/8bit, stereo/mono, 22kHz/11kHz/...)
Note: It seems to be that there are problems with particular
combination of these settings.
If one file is not replayed properly,
just try another file/ another sampling data.

z.

chal

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 24, 2005, 03:58:59 pm »
Will KOPI work on Hybrid? If so, what deps are needed?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I don't know, and no deps. kopiemail needs Openssl, but that's it.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks, I tried it and couldn't get it to work. Went back to tKc with Cacko kernel, where it works just fine.

PDAs
2 SL5500s
tKc Rom
Lexar 1GB CF card
Viking 512GB  CF card
PC 1. Mandriva 2009
PC 2. Windows XP
[/font]

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2005, 02:46:01 pm »
I inadvertently (aka stupidly), deleted my kabc directory from my CF card.

Then when trying to import both the xml and csv exports I had previously created as backups, the process would recreate my categories, but even with No Filters selected I could not actually see any of my 300+ contacts. So I found an old copy of the std.vcf file and put it into place in the kabc/apps/kabc directory. This gave me a starting point, but in further attempts to import the backups it seemed to bring in all but a few entries, most of which were in one category.

I believe that I've learned the std.vcf file is the "right" way to save a backup copy (so long as you're not intending to import the data into a different PIM). But does anyone have any idea why the xml and/or csv file would not import properly?

One further thing to note is that I had recently upgraded from 2.0.14 to 2.2.5, and the backups were created with the earlier version. Was there a change to the internal structure of the core app that would make the later version unable to read some of the data in the backup files that were created with an earlier version?

Strangely the import of the ics file for Organizer worked just fine...

Thanks in advance,

gdog

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #297 on: November 29, 2005, 05:15:09 pm »
With, or without the alarm applet installed...if I create an appointment/to do with an alarm set and then go to check the entry, it's flagged with the alarm correctly. EX. "30 Minutes Before". However, if I exit the program (with saving first), and go back into KO/PI, and check the entry the alarm says "!30(Disabled) Minutes Before". The alarms will not work at this point. I've tested everything! If I create the apts. in KO/PI on the Zaurus without exiting, it's OK. But if I sync from my Windows machine, which I usually do because of convenience, it comes across with the "(disabled)" stuff. This is happening in EVERY VERSION, with/without the alarm applet installed. Has anyone seen this and does anyone know the solution?
The big problem is that we don't have a 3100 to test on. I honestly have no idea what could be the problem. What do you use on your wintel machine? Kdepim as well?

Sorry in advance for my newbie question...

I bought my CL3000 from Trisoft and it got Version 2.0.14 pre-installed. What would be the correct procedure for updating to the latest version? Would I just need to install the new *.ipk via the package manager ("Add/Remove software") and it'll replace all the old files with the the ones? Do I need to make a backup of my data files first?
Always make a backup (preferably to a card or over the network).
Always uninstall the previous version using your package manager.

Anything else I must observe? Additional dependicies?
Sorry, but I'm relatively new to the Zaurus world and how software is installed (and especially updated!) here...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
No.
Don't be sorry, keep learning

I inadvertently (aka stupidly), deleted my kabc directory from my CF card.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I'd run kdepim from the flash and backup automatically to your card (that's what the auto backup function is for). Configure it in the global options.

Then when trying to import both the xml and csv exports I had previously created as backups, the process would recreate my categories, but even with No Filters selected I could not actually see any of my 300+ contacts.
That sucks.

So I found an old copy of the std.vcf file and put it into place in the kabc/apps/kabc directory. This gave me a starting point, but in further attempts to import the backups it seemed to bring in all but a few entries, most of which were in one category.
That's weird. I've never used the xml/csv exports, so I don't know what's wrong.

I believe that I've learned the std.vcf file is the "right" way to save a backup copy (so long as you're not intending to import the data into a different PIM). But does anyone have any idea why the xml and/or csv file would not import properly?
The correct way is to export all as a vcard manually, or use the automatic backups.

One further thing to note is that I had recently upgraded from 2.0.14 to 2.2.5, and the backups were created with the earlier version. Was there a change to the internal structure of the core app that would make the later version unable to read some of the data in the backup files that were created with an earlier version?
gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
The change in data structure happened in 2.2.6, so no.
Also, stop signing your posts. I can read your name above your avatar

I'll be here all night
But seriously, if others have questions, just shoot.

loc4me

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 29, 2005, 05:56:57 pm »
Just wondered if any major changes were/are planned for the next release. It has been almost a month since the last release and they normally come faster than that? Or it could be that people are busy with there real jobs.    Thanks
SL-5500 w/ TKC 2.0 beta 3 rom
SL-6000L + Sled w/ Guylhem or Sharp rom. Have not tried PdaXrom YET
SL-C3000 - w/ Cacko C3Kb1. Like it alot

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 29, 2005, 06:07:11 pm »
Hmmm. I do have the pim apps running from flash, but I also have them configured to save to my CF card. And unless I'm mistaken, the automatic backups are saving the data to the std.vcf file. Where that file is should not be an issue, or so I would assume. But then, what I know about these Apps and what I assume may just be at opposite ends of reality.

If there's any comfort in all of this it's that so long as all the fields are included when exporting to an xml file, I could pluck them out with Perl at some later date, if in fact whatever new PIM Suite I mirgrate to would not accept them any other way. Although it would be hard to manually reenter the number of contacts I have, it would be even harder to do it from memory (mine that is, not the IC type).

Sorry, didn't know it was a breach of web etiquette to sign a post. Just shows my age I suppose. When I compose a Business letter, my name is at the top and the bottom...    

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:09:26 pm by gdog »