Author Topic: Kde-pim/pi 2.1.0 Available!  (Read 213756 times)

raybert

• View Profile
Kde-pim/pi 2.1.0 Available!
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2005, 12:26:11 pm »
This might be a dumb question, but I've snagged myself on this one before so I'll throw it out there...

Have you selected a search field other than "All Fields"??  This is done using the drop-down at the far right of the tool bar, beside the search field and above the jump bar.  By default, after a restart, it comes up with "All Fields" and when that is selected the jump bar stays hidden.  This is because the jump bar requires a search field to work against and is therefore not usable when no search field is selected.

~ray
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

ray,
The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.  You were right on the money, and that is exactly what the problem was.  I think that what's really behind some of the problems I am having with this app, as well as KO, beyond the lack of good documentation is that they are simply much more sophisticated than any other PIMs I've used on Palm, PPC, HPC, Linux on any of my many handhelds over the years, or even Outlook for that matter. Great apps, and I can't complain of the lack of documentation because after all they are free, but I can lament. Fortunately for folks like me, there're folks like you out there that are quicker on the uptake, and participate in boards like this one.

Thank you,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

dgod, you are quite welcome.  I'm glad I could help.  I doubt I'm any "quicker on the uptake" than you though; as I said, I got snagged on this one myself.  In fact, I found the answer by accident only just in time to stop myself from posting that a new release was broken.  I think I was actually on my way to the keyboard when it happened...

~ray

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2005, 08:19:38 pm »
dgod, you are quite welcome.  I'm glad I could help.  I doubt I'm any "quicker on the uptake" than you though; as I said, I got snagged on this one myself.  In fact, I found the answer by accident only just in time to stop myself from posting that a new release was broken.  I think I was actually on my way to the keyboard when it happened...

~ray
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Here's another one for you Ray. Is there a way to make KO wake up the Z when an appt. is due? I can't seem to find that.

Thanks,

gdog
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

raybert

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2005, 10:30:55 am »
Here's another one for you Ray. Is there a way to make KO wake up the Z when an appt. is due? I can't seem to find that.

Thanks,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Hmmm... not sure about that one.  That should just work.  Maybe zautrix can suggest something?

~ray

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2005, 11:07:40 am »
Hmmm... not sure about that one.  That should just work.  Maybe zautrix can suggest something?

~ray
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85168\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

To be honest I have not tested this specifically. I just noticed yesterday that when I turned on my Z it immediately started chirping about an appt. that had come due earlier in the day. I believe I was present and the Z was within hearing distance at that time, but I can't say for certain that was the case. I'll run a test today and see if it works. Somewhat doubtful though...

update: Just ran a test and it definitely will not wake my C1K from Suspend... something that is very important to me. Setting perhaps?

further update: Under Configure preferences there is an Alarm tab. In it there is a checkbox for "Use internal alarm notifcation". Under that it says
"Note: KO/Pi must be running to notify you about an alarm. Recommended for Zaurus: Disable this option and install KO/Pi alarm applet".

Does anyone know where that applet can be found?

further further update: I unchecked that checkbox and ran the same test. Z woke up and let me know about the test appt. So apparently the alarm applet is part of the version I'm running.

ray and zautrix, do either of you know what the most stable release is for the C1K running the stock rom, and where it could be found? zautrix are you the primary (only?), person working on this wonderful app?

Thanks,

gdog
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 01:18:55 pm by gdog »

JoP

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2005, 04:08:45 am »
It's in the kdepim zip file of every version.
It's called korganizer-alarm_2.1.8_arm.ipk (whatever version, of course)
If you didn't installed it already then you definitely should. It'll wake your sleepy Z up.  
It works for sure with (many) last versions.

[edit]
So you did have it installed already. Then you know what the problem was now. We all are learning a lot here and with these wonderful pieces of soft, aren't we?  

I'm using 2.1.8 version on my c1k an working great so far.  
It is found at sourceforge, as always.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 04:20:50 am by JoP »
C-1000 SHARP Rom jp
Brando Ultra Clear Screen Protector

SL-5500 + SD128 + CF256 + CF32
Cacko ROM with new Cacko kernel 64-0
Python - PyQt

Symbol Spectrum24 WIFI

raybert

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2005, 11:24:06 am »
gdog,

The alarm applet is very useful.  You should at least try it.  It gives you a tray icon with a pop-up menu containing some useful shortcuts (i.e. create a new event, etc).  Plus, as you've discovered, it minds the alarms when KO/pi isn't running (that's not a problem for me though, since I leave KO/pi fast-loaded).

I would recommend the latest version.  All the latest versions are stable.  If a new release proves to have some nastiness in it, zautrix usually releases a fix within a day or two (zautrix kicks ass, in case you didn't notice already...   So, if you can't afford any downtime, you might want to wait a couple days after a release before installing the new version.  If nothing bad pops up by then, it's probably pretty safe.

~ray

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2005, 11:24:34 am »
It's in the kdepim zip file of every version.
It's called korganizer-alarm_2.1.8_arm.ipk (whatever version, of course)
If you didn't installed it already then you definitely should. It'll wake your sleepy Z up.   
It works for sure with (many) last versions.

[edit]
So you did have it installed already. Then you know what the problem was now. We all are learning a lot here and with these wonderful pieces of soft, aren't we?   

I'm using 2.1.8 version on my c1k an working great so far.   
It is found at sourceforge, as always.
[/edit]
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks JoP, I'll go out and take a look. Yes mine if waking the X up now as it should. Unless I see something in the release notes of a newer version that makes it advantageous for me to upgrade I may not, as I am a firm believer of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", and mine is working just fine for me, or so I believe so far.

Regards,

gdog

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2005, 11:28:58 am »
gdog,

The alarm applet is very useful.  You should at least try it.  It gives you a tray icon with a pop-up menu containing some useful shortcuts (i.e. create a new event, etc).  Plus, as you've discovered, it minds the alarms when KO/pi isn't running (that's not a problem for me though, since I leave KO/pi fast-loaded).

I would recommend the latest version.  All the latest versions are stable.  If a new release proves to have some nastiness in it, zautrix usually releases a fix within a day or two (zautrix kicks ass, in case you didn't notice already...   So, if you can't afford any downtime, you might want to wait a couple days after a release before installing the new version.  If nothing bad pops up by then, it's probably pretty safe.

~ray
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well that confirms it ray, as I do have that icon in my tool tray, and it must have been contained in the zip package just as JoP said. It's working fine, and I'm getting this C1K more personalized to my tastes everyday. I already like it better than the 6K I used to have, though the screen on the 6K was something that I'd love to see on this little beauty. Who knows that may be Sharp's centerpiece on the 3200 if and when they come out with one....

Regards,

gdog

swing

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2005, 05:43:35 am »
What did you do?
Sync Outlook <-> Sharp PIM and then sync Sharp PIM <-> KO/Pi?

If yes, was the event information ok in Sharp Pim after the Outlook <-> Sharp PIM sync?
z.
Yes, I set up a repeating appt in MS Outlook 2003 to start Monday 6/13 and repeat daily at 8:00 ending on Sunday 6/19.  Then I synched with Sharp.  Then synched with KOPI.  

The last event in the KOPI calendar is on 6/18 at 8:00 AM.  The Edit Recurrence Range panel shows Start Date 2005-06-13 and End by 2005-06-18.  

I just fired up the Sharp calendar and it shows the event starting on 6/13 and End On 6/19.
I have the same issue but in reverse.

I create recurring events in KO/Pi - for example, a weekly event on a Thursday set to End By 30.06.2005 (ie today and next Thursday).  If I sync with Sharp DTM, the Sharp DTM entry has a weekly repeat with "End On: 29 Jun 05", and hence the last event is missing from DTM and also missing from Outlook.

I normally fix this by adding 1 day to KO/Pi - ie the above event, if you set the End by date to 1 July 2005, both today and next week appear in DTM and Outlook.

As such, it appears to be a small bug in the DTM sync routine - or a difference in terms - "End by" (before) versus "End On" (on) - but I think KO/Pi should handle this problem.

However, I haven't yet testing the last couple of KO/Pi releases, so this might be fixed now.
SL-5500 w/WiFi CF, 256Mb SD, Audiovox RTM-8000
Looking for a UK SL-C760/860/1000

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2005, 03:00:09 pm »
Ok, so if I have an appt. that wakes up my Z, it also flashes the Mail LED. Good.

But when it auto-suspends according to my KO settings, or I suspend it without OK'ing the appt. the LED quits blinking. Bad.

Again I'm on 2.1.4. Can anyone recreate that on a later version? Is there are way for KO to keep that LED blinking with the device in Suspend mode?

Thanks!

gdog
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 11:09:29 am by gdog »

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2005, 05:20:07 pm »
But when it auto-suspends according to my KO settings, or I suspend it without OK'ing the appt. the LED quits blinking. Bad.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
That's the way it's supposed to go.

Again I'm on 2.1.4. Can anyone recreate that on a later version? Is there are way for KO to keep that LED blinking with the device in Suspend mode?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
That's a good question. It makes a lot more sense to have the LED keep blinking once an alarma's gone off until the text time ou wake it, but I don't know whether the LED's control API allow that. Would be pretty nice.

I would recommend the latest version.  All the latest versions are stable.  If a new release proves to have some nastiness in it, zautrix usually releases a fix within a day or two (zautrix kicks ass, in case you didn't notice already...
~ray
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
The next day fixes are the reason you should run stable. Right now there's some experimental multi-resources stuff in latest that you wouldn't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2005, 05:38:07 pm »
ev1l,

Thanks for the reply.

Not trying to knock any of these apps because they are great. But from a useability perspective, being able to look at my Z without turning it on, and tell if I've got an appt either coming due or is already overdue by seeing the LED blinking is something that some other PIMs have been providing for a long time.  That being said, my statements should only be seen as questions and/or suggestions and not critiques because not only are these apps great, they're also free to those of us who either don't know how to program in this language (like me), or choose not to donate time and effort for the good of the larger community . But it would be very helpful if that functionality was there.

I believe one of my Pocket PC PDAs (I've tried most all platforms before Sharp brought us the Z as we now know it), it was also possible to set the appt. alarm so that it would either wake the device and sound, or blink the alarm LED, or both. And if it woke the device, if it once again auto-suspended due to the owner not responding, the LED would continue to blink, indefintely I seem to recall. Nice functionality that!

Regards,

gdog

zautrix

• View Profile
    • http://www.pi-sync.net
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2005, 04:31:48 am »
Ok, so if I have an appt. that wakes up my Z, it also flashes the Mail LED. Good.

That cannot be changed.
When the Z is in suspend, the LED quits blinking.

z.

zautrix

• View Profile
    • http://www.pi-sync.net
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2005, 04:34:53 am »
I normally fix this by adding 1 day to KO/Pi - ie the above event, if you set the End by date to 1 July 2005, both today and next week appear in DTM and Outlook.

As such, it appears to be a small bug in the DTM sync routine - or a difference in terms - "End by" (before) versus "End On" (on) - but I think KO/Pi should handle this problem.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I found the problem.

Will be fixed in next version 2.1.9.

Thanks for reporting!

z.

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2005, 12:08:42 pm »

That cannot be changed.
When the Z is in suspend, the LED quits blinking.

z.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks for the reply in any event zautrix. At least now I know that I have to be more responsible for my own schedule.  

Regards,

gdog