Author Topic: 6000l, C3000, Or C1000  (Read 2953 times)

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« on: May 04, 2005, 08:27:39 am »
I'm pulling my hair out!
I can't decide on the Zaurus want. I keep flip flopping.
I realize it's partly a personal decision when it comes to choosing a Zaurus, but maybe some others can give me some insight.

6000L
=====
Pro's
-Intigrated WiFi
-All English ROM

Con's
-No number row on kbd
-1500mAh Battery is not as good as C3000, C1000 (1800mAh)
-I don't think the kbd lights up so it will be hard to use in the dark
-more expensive than the C1000

C1000
======
Pro's
-number row on kbd
-better kbd than 6000L (from what I've been hearing)
-Really good battery life (better battery than 6000L and no HDD to eat away at battery)
-Light from screen will probably illuminate kbd in the dark
-Cheaper than the other two

Con's
-No integrated WiFi. An antena will be sticking out of the Z
-Not an all-English ROM

C3000
======
Pro's
-number row on kbd
-Good battery life (better battery than 6000L but HDD sucks some juice)

Con's
-Not an all-English ROM

Note: there are a lot more pro's and con's when comparing these devices to other things, but I'm only listing the ones that I think are applicable when comparing them to each other.

I've really loved my Tungsten C. It's very small, has integrated WiFi, has a good battery (I can do heavy WiFi usage for 5-6 hours or watch atleast 2 full length movies). So why am I switching? I really like Linux and I like being able to hack around with the OS (aka break things and fix them). I also would really like a VGA screen. Palm OS doesn't give me the option of hacking around.
Becasue the TC is the cat's pajama's of the Palm PDA world (for tech people, IMHO) I'm finding it hard to balance what I will gain and loose from going to a Zaurus. A C3000 with integrated WiFi and a bit of a bigger battery would be exactly what I would want, but I doubt that will happen. Even a C1000 with WiFi tucked into that empty spot inside would be great. Integrated WiFi is a big deal for me because I use WiFi so much and have gotten very used to not having a bulky antena sticking out of my PDA. The 6000L should be a clear choice then, but I like the form factor of the C series and I would really like that internal 4 gig HDD.

I have a wihle to flip-flop before deciding, but please correct me if I've mis-spoke or if you have some advice.
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

iamasmith

• View Profile
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:36:45 am »
C3000
======
Pro's
-number row on kbd
-Good battery life (better battery than 6000L but HDD sucks some juice)

Con's
-Not an all-English ROM
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

kahm is probably the best guy to offer a comparison of the 3000 and 1000, however, I should point out that there are two all-English ROMs for the 3000 now. Cacko3K and OZ.

Battery life is still darned good on the 3000, you get used to using a CF WIFI card - you can even leave it in if you like

I would suggest if you want stacks of storage space (that doesn't get ejected when you suspend as PCMCIA cards do on most Sharp ROMs) and the ability to keep that online whilst you WIFI then the 3K is the way to go. I like to have the ability of running my sizeable local apache server whilst connected via Wifi/Bluetooth.

- Andy
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

offroadgeek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.oesf.org
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:55:30 am »
I have both the 6000L and the 1000, so I'll chime in with my 2 cents...

First off, the keyboard on the 6000 is the biggest gripe for me, as compared to the 1000 keyboard.  This is  a matter of personal preference, but I just can't type efficiently with the 6000 keyboard because of the overall layout (no seperate row for numbers, etc.).  I just seem like I have to use two keys to get the number/character that I need more than with the 1000.

I have an ambicom wifi card and it is almost always inserted into my 1000, unless I'm trying to conserve the battery.  Even when I'm not using the wifi to browse the web or whatever, I still keep the card in when using the keyboard.  The card sticking out just doesn't bother me at all.

I also prefer the landscape screen for most uses.  Also, the clamshell design is great for super lazy people like me.  For instance, I like to lay down in my recliner and put my 1000 on my chest with the screen angled perfect for reading.  Then I set opie reader on auto scroll, and I'm set for hours without lifting a finger!    

Now, the thing that I love most about the 6000 is the built in speaker and mic strategically placed to be used as a VOIP phone on the back.  I don't know why, but I just love using my 6000 as a phone.

The built in wifi on the 6000 is nice too, but I'm so used to having my cf wifi card with my z at all times, it's just second nature now.

Good luck!
Search the OESF Wiki
C1000 w/Cacko 1.23 beta (from Streamline) / 760 pdaxrom rc9 / 6000L (thanks Santa's elf!) / 5500 - OZ 3.3.5 / SIMpad SL4
1GB, 256mb SanDisk CF / 2x 1GB, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb SanDisk SD
Ambicom WL100C-CF wifi / Socket 56k CF modem / AmbiCom BT2000-CF (x2)
Pocketop keyboard, Piel Frama case (1000 & 5500), PDAir case (760 & 1000)
sip:536093@fwd.pulver.com
| OESF | ELSI | Zaurus User Group | ZaurusThemes |

the_oak

• View Profile
    • http://
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:01:59 am »
This is very subject to what is important to each user, but my 2 ¢ worth follows:
You left out 2 Pros & 1 Con for the 6000.

Pros:
1.) The larger screen (at 4 inches one of the largest on the market)
2.) that it is rugged (can be dropped from 3 feet and survive).

Con:
largest pda (OK pmt) on the market (I think)

That said, I have one and love it. But occasionally I think about selling it to get the smaller 1000. I just don't want to give up that 4 inch screen, or the spare CF slot for wireless.
SL-6000L running Sharp 1.12 rom, (SOLD)
Fujitsu U820 with Windows 7
White Intel MacBook

nilch

• View Profile
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 09:52:09 am »
Having had a 6000  (and also a C750) before and now a C1000, I can give my own comparison.

While having both the 6000L and the C750 clamsheel, I tented to prefer the 6000 intially - the bigger screen and the built in wifi were the winners.
But always the clamsheel form factor was better to use rather than the portait mode (when typing).

And since I use the Zaurus mostly to compose and read emails and web browse (apart from PIM) so the typing is important to me even while I am online (thru wifi).
Thats where the C1000 comes in winners. The keyboard is excellent.
The smaller screen I have again gotten used to (though I would love a clamshell with the 4" screen) and the antenna sticking out on the C1000 is not really bulky (the 6000 was bulky), but is a slight inconvenience, but I leave it on, and as a result hardly use my CF card storage. I got a bigeer SD card for that.

So its really depends on what you want to use it for.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

kahm

• View Profile
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 01:25:14 pm »
kahm is probably the best guy to offer a comparison of the 3000 and 1000, however, I should point out that there are two all-English ROMs for the 3000 now. Cacko3K and OZ.

Battery life is still darned good on the 3000, you get used to using a CF WIFI card - you can even leave it in if you like

I would suggest if you want stacks of storage space (that doesn't get ejected when you suspend as PCMCIA cards do on most Sharp ROMs) and the ability to keep that online whilst you WIFI then the 3K is the way to go. I like to have the ability of running my sizeable local apache server whilst connected via Wifi/Bluetooth.

- Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I actually didn't use the 1000 much - the 3000 took my time until we started working on Cacko3k, then I left the 1000 stock for comparison bug-testing. Other than looking much cooler, the 1000 is just a slightly larger 860 - the USB host doesn't count for much on the stock rom without getting really down and dirty. Thus all of the standard clamshell advantages apply.

If you're going to be doing any volume of typing on the Z whatsoever, do yourself a favour and get a clamshell. The keyboard on the portrait-form factor Z's is pretty good - for a PDA. OTOH, the keyboard on the clamshells approachs near perfect functionality, especially on the 1k/3k.  

As for choosing between a 1k and a 3k - the 3k was an absolute requirement for me. I used my 860 for six months before I upgraded, with a 1gb SD card for a "hard drive". The extra space was really useful, but as time goes on you start installing more stuff to it and it's presence becomes required for proper functioning of the Z. I ran into several different situations where I needed to swap the card out to use a different one (copying files off another card or for a friend, etc). It was as much of a hinderance because it had to be there as it was a help. Or in other words, for the Z to be useful to me it had to be there, but it reduced the flexibility and convenience of the Z. Plus, if you need a swap file, swapping to the microdrive in the 3k is non-destructive.

I haven't got a 6000 yet - I traded my 1000 for one, but it is still in the mail. (And I've got a nother 1000 coming from Japan) But I didn't trade for one to replace the 3000 - I'm getting it because I have a specific project in mind and I need a Z that can use the Sharp Camera, Wifi, and serial simultaneously. The only thing that the 6000 really has over the clamshells is Wi-Fi, and using a wi-fi CF card is not enough of a nuisance to overcome the advantages of the clamshell form factor. I'll put my vote down for the 1k, and the 3k if you can stretch to afford it.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 05:45:10 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I'm still undecided, but moving more and more to a firm decision the C series.
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

adf

• View Profile
6000l, C3000, Or C1000
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 02:30:36 am »
c has a better form factor/keyboard.
the 6 imho has better hardware (255v 270 aside)

the 6k has a bigger and noticeably better screen.  ( have put it next to a c-series to check) Your internal wireless isn't likley to suffer a head crash or other bit of hardware nastiness (like a microdrive might). the 6k is more ruggged (and bulkier) for the same price a 3k/6k are an interesting matchup.  It really depends on what aspect of the thing is important to you..and what roms you are interested in.

It looks like cacko will go 1k pretty soon and is laready on the 3k. I'm betting pdaXrom will show on the 1/3 soon too.  the 6k offers shapr oz and and optimized guylhem rom--and qtopia 2.1
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf