Author Topic: Screenshots Of Rc10 Running Kde 3.4 Here  (Read 21891 times)

pgas

• View Profile
    • http://
Screenshots Of Rc10 Running Kde 3.4 Here
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 07:50:40 am »
ooops wrong thread....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 07:51:21 am by pgas »
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

HardenCoonor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2005, 01:09:56 pm »
I have installed KDE 3.4 into the rom, both libs and base. I had to remove some packages (xmms, abiword and others), and made a 90 MB root partition ( i have a c860).

Both are huge, but the size can be reduced, for future builds (kdelibs-3.4.1).

At first, when compiling, one might make use of DO_NOT_COMPILE, and omit compiling stuff like kdeprint and others, especially arts.

example:

DO_NOT_COMPILE="arts debian kdeprint"

For a complete list please take a look at the archive, every subdirectory is an option if i got the configure script right.

After building kdelibs and kdebase, one might remove changelogs, wallpapers, sounds, help-templates for languages other than "en",

I would like to compile kde myself, and while i am at it, the rom as a whole. Are there any special instructions i have to follow, or is it as easy as to download pdaxrom-builder, all the sources, the toolchain and then go?

pgas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2005, 02:08:14 am »
there are some instructions for the builder here:

http://212.10.30.205/docs/pdaxrom-builder/...d-rom-yourself/

Note that for the whole rom you have to build 2 toolchains: gcc 3.x for the applications and gcc 2.95 for the kernel.

I you only want to build kde you can use the cross compile sdk.

One problem that I see with your approach is that people interested in kde might be interested by all the  bells an whistles and start to complain that they can't find the xxx package. Finding just the right set of  packages is a hard task  and in the end there is still someone who asks for something else.

There is a better way (much more time consuming) which is to make a lot of small packages. So that one can choose what he wants

Just my 2 cents, of course, as if you do so people will start complaining that it's a pain to install so many small packages and ask for an all in one ipk .
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

HardenCoonor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 08:26:51 am »
Note that for the whole rom you have to build 2 toolchains: gcc 3.x for the applications and gcc 2.95 for the kernel

That's bad news. I would have liked to compile all with gcc-3.4.4 from my gentoo-toolchain, but the i would have to switch to kernel 2.6.11, where the cardreader functionality is probably not implemented, as far as i know.

Of course thanks for the link, it seems to be the prototype of the new pdaxrom-page.

ninjafoo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2005, 09:22:00 am »
Just my 2 cents, of course, as if you do so people will start complaining that it's a pain to install so many small packages and ask for an all in one ipk .
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84297\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I would rather see lots of small packages, my biggest gripe about gentoo (which I run everywhere) is that kde is huge all or nothing monster.

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2005, 05:47:07 pm »
a) any new progress w/ kde? the original stuff was cool..but the optimizations are something I've been looking forward to.... that and working khtml.....

this whole thing raises an issue. Maybe the feeeds should be split into main and varius gui feeds?  having all the kde, or xfce specific stuff in one place
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

ninjafoo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2005, 08:47:54 am »
this whole thing raises an issue. Maybe the feeeds should be split into main and varius gui feeds?  having all the kde, or xfce specific stuff in one place
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I agree with that, having a selection of feeds would be essential

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2005, 12:44:46 am »
I just ran a program to make a feed out of the xfce4 ipks I was mirroring -- and the damn
program rm'd most of the files!  (I didn't even know it had that "feature")

ug

scoutme

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2005, 03:48:16 am »
what about splitting the package?
I'd like to install only konqueror, as half-way alternative to firefox and dillo (found it usefull sometimes), and I'm sure there are a lot of apps we could desire to use even without the whole (stripped) environment

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2005, 04:19:21 am »
have you guys got konqueror rendering html ?  I keep getting a khtml error followed by a view of the html, etc.... instead of a page. maybe I missed an update?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

DaMightyWhightyMan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2005, 08:37:53 am »
I did a ipkg install kdebase  which then installed all its dependances, didn't get any errors.  But when I  run startkde I get an error saying.  "Could not start KdeInit. Check your installation"  

did I do something wrong?

I do notice undefined symbol errors on libkdefx.so.4... hrmm

im using a Zaurus C 760 RC9 and kde is installed to SD card (/mnt/card/)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 08:43:43 am by DaMightyWhightyMan »