Author Topic: Flexible Keyboards  (Read 5254 times)

ceb0610

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:30:35 pm »
I was looking into the keyboards at grandtec and was wondering how other zaurus owners felt about using flexible keyboards. So, what do you guys think?

Armagon

• View Profile
    • http://
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:29:25 pm »
I was looking into the keyboards at grandtec and was wondering how other zaurus owners felt about using flexible keyboards. So, what do you guys think?
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'd like to second that question, and expand upon it.  I'd like a standard-sized* keyboard I could carry in my backpack and use on the bus.  Are there any opinions of low profile USB keyboards with built-in hubs, like [a href=\"http://www.byteccusa.com/product/keyboard/KB-MCK-90-sh.htm]this one[/url]?

[I tried a rollable keyboard in a store, and am still thinking about it.  It is strange to type on, but I think you could get used to it.  It also looked like I'd need to bring a hard surface, such as a clipboard, to use underneath it if I was to use it on a bus.]

---

* standard size, to me, doesn't mean full-sized, just that the individual keys are the normal size and distance apart.  If it is missing the number pad, that is probably a plus, as it is more likely to fit in my backpack and on a single bus seat.
Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -- 2 GB SD Card -- Zippy Slim Mini Keyboard -- Loving pdaXii13!

tml

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 12:43:00 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I have never used any of these keyboards but they look very much like the keyboard of the Sinclair z88 I still own, which was quite useable -- it has also the advantage of being water/coffee resistant. But I made the experience that I could adapt to about any keyboard I ever used, even to the c3100's one. :-)

As far as small impact keyboards are concerned, I currently use a benq mini buddy which I personally find quite ok -- also because it has the same layout as my acer notebook.
SL-C3100

stbrock

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 12:46:09 am »
I've used the full and compact GrandTec keyboards and like them, but not everyone will. You generally need a flat surface like a desk, though a briefcase in your lap could work. The keyboard lays flat on the surface, so easier on the wrists for me, reasonably fast but a little more likely to cause errors in typing, wonderfully resistant to coffee, and stows easily in a briefcase. Mine have lasted a few years and I've worn the letters of some of the keys. I don't roll them up that often, though, and they might not last as long that way. The compact version works with the 6000 and 1000 USB ports. If portable to you means "in your pocket" you won't be that happy even with the small version. But if you need a keyboard that's light and takes up minimal space in briefcase, this is a good candidate.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:55:35 am »
I tried a logitech "cloth" roll-up keyboard for the palm once - it kind of folded round the palm.
It was pretty shite, it's gathering dust on a shelf. It was only a couple of quid on ebay, otherwise I'd have sent it back. I think it was a flawed design, it was a kind of mesh inside and needed calibrating to determine where the keys were.

As for Sinclair rubber mat type keypads, they're ok, a bit below the quality of the zaurus, but for basic command line stuff quite useable.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

rrnwexec

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 06:15:07 pm »
This was just announced... not sure of it's availability..
http://www.eleksen.com/index.asp?page=prod.../keyboard_4.asp

Is this comparably better than the logitech one referenced in the previous post?

I think this would make a great addition to the Z, if reliable.

Cheers,
Randall.
--
6000, 5600, 5500, 1000
pdaXrom, OZ/GPE, OZ/Opie, Sharp ROM
Too many gadgets to mention

derekp

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 12:39:40 pm »
I've got one of the roll-up keyboards, mine is a comp-usa branded model.  It is basically usable (a bit more usable than a thumboard), but it kind of reminds me of using the old chicklet-style keyboards on an IBM PCjr.  That, and it also feels like typing on a keyboard that has one of those fitted skins on them (like you see in some labs or factory settings).  My main issue is that since the keys aren't curved inwards, my fingers have a hard time finding the center of the buttons, so I can't touch-type as fast or acurately as a normal keyboard.

Another keyboard I am looking at appears to be similar to the Apple Newton keyboard accessory.  It is approx. 8 3/4 inches wide, but the keys look like normal keys, instead of buttons.  Do a google search for "psk-3100" or "psk-3100u".  I haven't nailed down who actually makes them, it looks like they are oem'd to several companies.  Has anyone who has used one of these keyboards comment on how they compare to a normal (or laptop) keyboard?

Little_Goomba

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 12:58:45 pm »
I have a 'True Touch Keyboard' which is a blue rollable keyboard.  I've used it only a couple of times. The keys are flat, and there is no distinct 'successful keypress' feel, so I find myself slowly mashing the keys, despite seeing that a light touch would work.  The keyboard rolls up tight, and consumes little space compared to all the power supplies, laptops, PC boards etc in my case, but I don't use it that often.
http://www.mysimon.com/Manhattan_True-Touc...8-30963400.html

My preferred method for entering text (non PIM) is to have enabled telnet server on the Z, and telnet wirelessly via a full blown computer with a real keyboard.  My favorite method for entering text (PIM) is to pull the USB keyboard/mouse off my iMac and plug it into my Z.
Model - 6000L w/ ExpansionPack, 4Gb microdrive, 1Gb SDRAM
Metrowerks OpenPDA V1.0
Java Zaurus V1.0
Qtopia V 1.5.4
Kernel 2.4.18

vputz

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:04 am »
I use the Fellowes folding keyboard (USB) and actually like it a fair amount for a small portable.  I think if I wanted something to travel with and do serious typing on, though, I'd look at the "happy hacking" keyboards; some come very small (a "long half" of a sheet of paper) but are full-action keyboards...

Armagon

• View Profile
Flexible Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 12:16:22 am »
I'd like a standard-sized* keyboard I could carry in my backpack and use on the bus.  Are there any opinions of low profile USB keyboards with built-in hubs, like this one?

<snip>

---

* standard size, to me, doesn't mean full-sized, just that the individual keys are the normal size and distance apart.  If it is missing the number pad, that is probably a plus, as it is more likely to fit in my backpack and on a single bus seat.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well, I got a keyboard very similar to the one I linked to, and it was only $40 Canadian.  It is the Zippy Slim Mini Keyboard WK610.  It is really compact -- it will fit in my backpack and on my lap on the bus.  The keys are a little closer than I'd hoped, but I think this will meet my needs admirably.  And the USB host works -- I was able to plug my USB mouse into the keyboard, and use them both under pdaXrom on my C1000 simultaneously!  Now I really do have a miniature PC.

The box also looks useful, to protect the keyboard from my backpack (once known as the abyss, because things that went down into its depths didn't always return the same), and to hold up my Z at a comfortable viewing height on the bus (but I still need to figure that out).

I'll have to put up a post of how I like it after I've used it for a while.  So far I'm very happy.

Here's a pic so that you can see how large it is.
Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -- 2 GB SD Card -- Zippy Slim Mini Keyboard -- Loving pdaXii13!