Author Topic: I'll Just Go Out And Ask It:  (Read 3482 times)

niv

• View Profile
I'll Just Go Out And Ask It:
« on: June 26, 2005, 04:09:17 pm »
I got my 5500 last week.
still waiting for a desent SD card to get the show on the road.

One reasone to order the zaurus in the first place was VoIP.
I guess skype , is out of the question : not existing to arm platform, and havey cpu and IP usage wcause of the p2p nature.

saw linphone and kphone. I will probably try to VPN to the remote target -then Voip using a SIP complient client.

any information to share ppl?

MOD: should this post be here or on any of the other forums?

BarryW

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 04:49:32 pm »
Do a search for voip under all fourms.  There are a few discussions about it.
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

merli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 05:00:02 pm »
I got my 5500 last week.
still waiting for a desent SD card to get the show on the road.

One reasone to order the zaurus in the first place was VoIP.
I guess skype , is out of the question : not existing to arm platform, and havey cpu and IP usage wcause of the p2p nature.

saw linphone and kphone. I will probably try to VPN to the remote target -then Voip using a SIP complient client.

any information to share ppl?

MOD: should this post be here or on any of the other forums?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85931\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Anyway 5500 is not very suitable for voip (does not have microphone and speaker itegrated) You should go for model 5600 or 6000 IMHO for voip
merli
------
SL-C1000 - pdaxii13 5.3.3 but considering go back to beta1
Wifi D-link DCF-650W CF card - not using
bluetooth Billionton BT CF card and Samsung SGH-i310 GPRS
Pretec Cheetah 133x 4GB SD, Pretec Cheetah 80x 1GB CF

niv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 03:34:27 am »
Na, I'll do fine with an earpiece.
only wish I could use my bluetooth earpiece...

zmef420

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 11:50:37 pm »
dig it

i use VOIP on my 5500 and it works great. i wrote this some time ago on my stumbleupon blog. here ya go:

Great VOIP hook up!

Packet8 packet8.net [packet8.net] ) is a provider of broadband phone service for business and residential users. It works great with my Zaurus SL-5500 linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2134869242.html [linuxdevices.com] ), Free World Dialup pulver.com/fwd/ [pulver.com] ), and KP/Pi pi-sync.net/html/kp_pi.html [pi-sync.net] ). Basicly, anywhere there is free wifi(like everywhere) I can use my Zaurus with the KP/Pi program to dial out with my FWD account. I can call my Packet8 number which in turn can be forwarded to any number of my choosing via a web interface.

Voila! Unlimited calling to anywhere in the US and Canadia fo' free right from my Zaurus.

YeeHaw!

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 04:55:56 pm »
zmef - why do you use P8 and FWD?  can you not dial out through the p8 network with KP/Pi?

dig it

i use VOIP on my 5500 and it works great. i wrote this some time ago on my stumbleupon blog. here ya go:

Great VOIP hook up!

Packet8 packet8.net [packet8.net] ) is a provider of broadband phone service for business and residential users. It works great with my Zaurus SL-5500 linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2134869242.html [linuxdevices.com] ), Free World Dialup pulver.com/fwd/ [pulver.com] ), and KP/Pi pi-sync.net/html/kp_pi.html [pi-sync.net] ). Basicly, anywhere there is free wifi(like everywhere) I can use my Zaurus with the KP/Pi program to dial out with my FWD account. I can call my Packet8 number which in turn can be forwarded to any number of my choosing via a web interface.

Voila! Unlimited calling to anywhere in the US and Canadia fo' free right from my Zaurus.

YeeHaw!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Storm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 01:52:31 pm »
dig it

Great VOIP hook up!

YeeHaw!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That sounds very cool. Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a microphone? My Zaurus has a single headphone jack, which as far as I can tell, has a single 1/8" stereo headphone jack. My headphones with the boom mike has two plugs, one for the headphones and one for the mike. Is there some specialized device or adapter needed to get the mike to work?

Thanks,
--Storm
Zaurus SL-5500/Hentges OZ 3.5.4.1
Ambicom WL1100-CF wireless card
Desktop: Debian/GNU Linux (unstable)

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 05:41:26 pm »
This was discussed extensively in a thread I saw recently.  I believe the 5500 has a jack that is slightly smaller than the 1/8" mini.  Supposedly it can auto detect whether stereo headphones, or headphones plus mic are plugged into it.  You need a head set like for a cellphone which just has one plug.  I'll try to find the thread when I get home from work and link it in.

dig it

Great VOIP hook up!

YeeHaw!

That sounds very cool. Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a microphone? My Zaurus has a single headphone jack, which as far as I can tell, has a single 1/8" stereo headphone jack. My headphones with the boom mike has two plugs, one for the headphones and one for the mike. Is there some specialized device or adapter needed to get the mike to work?

Thanks,
--Storm
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89946\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

eekee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 03:30:57 pm »
The socket is the regular 3.5mm size most headphone sockets are, it's slightly larger than 1/8" unlike the 2.5mm plug used by the Sony Ericsson P800 series. I would have kept the headset from my P800 if it fitted.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 03:32:26 pm by eekee »
Hardware: 'well-used' SL-5500; 1GB SD-Card; 128MB CF card
ROM: OZ GPE (Wanted to use OPIE but it locks up on suspend, X seems to fix it somehow. Found GPE more powerful than it first looked, if a little flakey.)
Considering: Putting together a ROM oriented towards scripting. Will probably be OZ based with X11.

niv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 07:04:17 pm »
starting messing around with it some more.
I found that the new SIP phones need only one port forward to them to recive calls.
most traffic goes via UDP and STUN takes care of any NAT in the way :-)
but as the traffic isn't secure - I am looking into IpSEC.

So I will establish a secure connection to target - then commence the call :-)
only found this:
http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=593

any hints?