Author Topic: Sd Wifi  (Read 3363 times)

gdog

• View Profile
Sd Wifi
« on: July 01, 2005, 11:07:57 pm »
Has anyone used an SD Wifi card with the Sharp ROM on their C1K without having to tweak the kernel. Plug and play.

If so can you list the brand and model?

Thanks,

gdog
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

jomo

• View Profile
Sd Wifi
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 09:57:50 pm »
Has anyone used an SD Wifi card with the Sharp ROM on their C1K without having to tweak the kernel. Plug and play.

Thanks,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The default Sharp kernel does not include an SDIO stack.  An SDIO WiFi vendor (C-Guys) has released a card and driver that they purport works with the Sharp ROM.  However, it is known to be buggy and is not regularly updated.  Search the forum, and you should be able to find a link to their web-site.

gdog

• View Profile
Sd Wifi
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:01:23 am »

Thanks,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The default Sharp kernel does not include an SDIO stack.  An SDIO WiFi vendor (C-Guys) has released a card and driver that they purport works with the Sharp ROM.  However, it is known to be buggy and is not regularly updated.  Search the forum, and you should be able to find a link to their web-site.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks Jomo, but I'm not interested in a buggy solution. I might be if I needed the wifi bad enough, but fortunately I don't. So I guess the Sandisk SD/Wifi card won't work either, huh?

Thanks,

gdog

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
Sd Wifi
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 12:31:20 am »
here you go

21 dollars and mines still works just fine.  c1000 saurus a and sl5500  zaurus.  thninking of getting a second one.

out of the box plug and play

pretec cf card
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 12:32:00 am by Cresho »
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

gdog

• View Profile
Sd Wifi
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 01:14:33 am »
here you go

21 dollars and mines still works just fine.  c1000 saurus a and sl5500  zaurus.  thninking of getting a second one.

pretec cf card
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks Cresho, but what I'm looking for is an SD wifi card. Need my 4gb microdrive to stay in the CF slot.

Thanks,

gdog

jomo

• View Profile
Sd Wifi
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 08:21:00 pm »
here you go

21 dollars and mines still works just fine.  c1000 saurus a and sl5500  zaurus.  thninking of getting a second one.

pretec cf card
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks Cresho, but what I'm looking for is an SD wifi card. Need my 4gb microdrive to stay in the CF slot.

Thanks,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

gdog, I THOUGHT about plunking down the $100+ US for the Sandisk Wifi for the same reason you're thinking about it.  I too own a 4 Gig Hitachi Micro.  I downloaded the C-guy's driver, but didn't have the cajones to buy the 100 dollar card to experiment with, since C-guys will only verify that it works with THEIR card, for obvious reasons.  Additionally, should you ever get sick of the stock ROM (most people do), the C-guys driver doesn't work with any of the ROMs built by the folks on this site (Cacko and Oz).  And, as I said, the C-guys driver was buggy anyways.  What's really needed for the Z (all the wiring is there already on at least the SL-C760 and up), is for somebody in the Open Zaurus crew to write an SDIO stack.  That would, generically, support some of the SDIO cards that are out there.  After that, you'd probably still need a specific driver for the card, but it may be possible to write a generic WiFi driver if the SDIO standard is 'standard' enough.  If MickeyL reads this, the question is: Does the Open Zaurus/Opie/GPE crew have any intention of doing an SDIO stack in the future?  I know you guys are busy just getting basic functionality to work, and Sharp isn't helping at all (especially when they keep coming up with new devices and obsoleting the old ones), but it would be REALLY nice to have true dual-card functionality.  Even being able to use SD storage cards at faster than the old MMC card speeds would be super-nice.

benplaut

• View Profile
Sd Wifi
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 03:34:36 am »
the problem is not getting around to making the drivers, but instead that the drivers can't be made. SD is a proprietory format, but can revert back to MMC (open source format) driver when used on linux machines. SD and SDIO (wifi and BT) require the proprietory drivers...

the hardware specs for SD aren't released, so unless reverse-engineering is used (a very time consuming and futile process), we won't have drivers anytime soon.

darn!

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
Sd Wifi
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 05:43:32 am »
Does the Open Zaurus/Opie/GPE crew have any intention of doing an SDIO stack in the future? I know you guys are busy just getting basic functionality to work, and Sharp isn't helping at all (especially when they keep coming up with new devices and obsoleting the old ones), but it would be REALLY nice to have true dual-card functionality. Even being able to use SD storage cards at faster than the old MMC card speeds would be super-nice.

I agree with you - it would be nice and indeed we would like to have it. To make that happen though, an experienced kernel developer with the hardware, some specs, and a lot of time, is necessary.

The OZ team has an experienced kernel developer, however neither do he has access to the hardware, nor the specs or any more free time - that's the problem.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

gdog

• View Profile
Sd Wifi
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 12:35:19 am »
gdog, I THOUGHT about plunking down the $100+ US for the Sandisk Wifi for the same reason you're thinking about it.  I too own a 4 Gig Hitachi Micro.  I downloaded the C-guy's driver, but didn't have the cajones to buy the 100 dollar card to experiment with, since C-guys will only verify that it works with THEIR card, for obvious reasons.  Additionally, should you ever get sick of the stock ROM (most people do), the C-guys driver doesn't work with any of the ROMs built by the folks on this site (Cacko and Oz).  And, as I said, the C-guys driver was buggy anyways.  What's really needed for the Z (all the wiring is there already on at least the SL-C760 and up), is for somebody in the Open Zaurus crew to write an SDIO stack.  That would, generically, support some of the SDIO cards that are out there.  After that, you'd probably still need a specific driver for the card, but it may be possible to write a generic WiFi driver if the SDIO standard is 'standard' enough.  If MickeyL reads this, the question is: Does the Open Zaurus/Opie/GPE crew have any intention of doing an SDIO stack in the future?  I know you guys are busy just getting basic functionality to work, and Sharp isn't helping at all (especially when they keep coming up with new devices and obsoleting the old ones), but it would be REALLY nice to have true dual-card functionality.  Even being able to use SD storage cards at faster than the old MMC card speeds would be super-nice.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Given your reply jomo, and those that followed it, I guess I'll just be waiting for the SL-C3800, that will be released in the USA with wifi and bluetooth built in along with an embedded 6gig 120x CF . Not trying to start a rumor, cause it's all just a fantasy, but it'll take something like that before I get wireless I guess. I'm not into much in the way of experimenting with my device because it really is a tool for me. And I don't really need wireless with it at home, which is one of the reasons I traded my 6K to Kahm for this C1K. I just thought it would be a nice to have. And hopefully if Sharp ever does get their marketing head out of their bu__, and see how many of us US residents would like to see them, and they release one, then my fantasy also includes  us having more than the occasion hotspot from which to use them, without having to pay out the nose for unlimited broadband.

Rant is officially ended _here_.  

Regards,

gdog
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 12:38:03 am by gdog »