Author Topic: Wcf12 And Ad-hoc Network  (Read 1955 times)

mysli

• View Profile
Wcf12 And Ad-hoc Network
« on: November 07, 2005, 04:42:08 am »
Hello,

A few days ago I got my 860, now I also bought me a WCF12 WLAN card. I was running
through my city and looking for open access points, I found a few and instantly I got
a link and was able to surf through the internet on my little zaurus.
A home I only have a WLAN card in my Linux Server (SMC card, on a Debian Sarge),
unfortunately I only get my server wlan card running in Ad-hoc mode, which is not
really a problem, my Windows notebook connects fine to it. But I have difficulties in
connecting my zaurus to my Ad-hoc network, it seems it is not recognized by the
zaurus. Although the link LED on the server WLAN card as well as on the WCF12 is
blinking, so it seems they somehow talking to each other but not a singe ping is going
through. I also do not get a IP address from my server.
I already tried to set the IP addresses on my zaurus accordingly to access my server
WLAN but without any success.

Do you know any help with my Ad-hoc network, managed networks are working fine
but this doesn't help me much at home?

Thanks for your help in advance.

MYSLI

mysli

• View Profile
Wcf12 And Ad-hoc Network
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:41:36 pm »
Hello,

In the meanwhile I helped myself. Actually I did quite some things, I don't really know if all of them
where necessary. First of all I switched to the HOSTAP_CS driver, this alone did not solve the problem
I still was not able to see my server wlan. But at least with the hostap driver

iwlist wlan0 scan

was possible, with this orinoco drivers I only got the message that scanning is not supported.
But now I got connected to some other network in my neighborhood. My WLAN is secured with
a WEP protection, and behind this a VPN. So it appeared that the WEP protection was the problem,
because as soon as I removed it I was able to connect to my server wlan, I got a IP address via
dhcp and everything worked fine. I was setting up my OpenVPN and it worked right away.

Now I have only one problem, only a few websites a can reach with my zaurus, i.e. google is working
perfect, www.heise.de is also working perfect, but www.pdaxrom.org is not working at all, and a few
other websites refuse to work too. What could be the problem for this? Is it the MTU size? It's set
to 1500, with

ifconfig tun0 mtu 1300

I reduced it but my openvpn server is not excepting a single package anymore until I set the
MTU size back to 1500. So what could cause this strange behaviour, that some sites are working and
others not?

Thanks again,
Mysli