Author Topic: New Hentges Rom Release Candidate  (Read 55786 times)

jbbrs

• View Profile
    • http://
New Hentges Rom Release Candidate
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2005, 11:39:30 am »
A small problem - when you choose the "storage" usb mode, you should also be able to specify which device will be exposed - SD, CF or /home

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2005, 04:39:10 am »
The updater.sh you have for the akita is not the last one I edited, I am attaching here the "fixed" one, that shows the "progress bar" for the initrd as it should be, instead of the debug data.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Code: [Select]
--- updater.sh  2005-07-19 19:35:51.000000000 +0200
+++ /home/mhentges/updater.sh   2005-07-27 10:35:57.175672140 +0200
@@ -198,9 +198,9 @@
                        DATAPOS=`expr $DATAPOS + $TMPSIZE`

#handle data file
-                       echo 'ADDR='$ADDR
-                       echo 'SIZE='$TMPSIZE
-                       echo 'TMPDATA='$TMPDATA
+                       #echo 'ADDR='$ADDR
+                       #echo 'SIZE='$TMPSIZE
+                       #echo 'TMPDATA='$TMPDATA
                        if [ $ISLOGICAL = 0 ]
                        then
                                next_addr=`/sbin/nandcp -a $ADDR $TMPDATA $TARGET_MTD  2>/dev/null | fgrep "mtd address" | cut -d- -f2 | cut -d\( -f1`

Applied, thanks!

Looks like the 0% -> 100% width is hard-coded for a normal sized OZ initrd.bin so it could use some hacking  
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

jbbrs

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2005, 05:19:31 am »
Looks like the 0% -> 100% width is hard-coded for a normal sized OZ initrd.bin so it could use some hacking 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I really do need to get my oe build machine back up and working... Also, the zImage part isn't doing the progress bar, I have to fix that too.

And I do need to start working on porting the rt2570 usb driver to oe, a 802.11g usb stick that works with my akita would be cool...

Snooby

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2005, 08:33:03 pm »
Coredump - thanks for newbie-slapping, it's always obvious when someone else points it out  

I eventually gave up on this ROM because i "played about" with it by reflashing, installing stuff, reflashing etc.

I couldnt get irk to install properly.
It appears in the update list but ipkg says it cant find it.
I tried installing locally from CF and that "installs", but no keyboard options appear.

Justreader (my most used app)  failed, then it worked fine, then it failed again.

Opiereader is just nasty - is there no way to jump to a specific page in an ebook?

Other than these niggles, the rest of it seems fine, if not damn fine!!!
I'll try it again when it's officially released.
SL-5500 with tkc 2.0 Alpha 3.0 (/home on SD)
Kingston 256MB SD Card
Fujifilm 128MB CF Card
Wisgo 802.11b CF Wireless LAN Card
XP Pro, Redhat 7.3

fluffybob

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2005, 05:50:38 am »
Just tried to flash to the Hentges Rom. It seemed to flash ok but then i'm just left with a window half on the screen half off which apears to be in german. Nothing seems to do anything.

What did I do wrong...

Cheers,

Ben

samac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 05:53:11 am »
I tried installing locally from CF and that "installs", but no keyboard options appear.

Have a look at this thread, it solved all my problems
How to install IRK

Samac
Zaurus SL5500
Hentges 1.0.x
64mb CF card
256mb SD card
Pocket-top Keyboard
Slackware 11.0 (2.6.17.13)

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2005, 06:44:36 am »
The "window half on the screen" could be the medium mount dialog. Did you erase your old HOME directory before installing?
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

fluffybob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2005, 07:19:09 am »
Thanks for the responce mickey. I didn't delete the home directory before flashing and I did suspect that the window I can partially see was the mount window. Don't know why it's in german though and i cant get rid of it.

What should i delete before reflashing again? I don't need anything kept on the C1000, I just want a nice clean install.

Cheers,

Ben

tombraider

• View Profile
    • http://atoah.com/zaurus/
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2005, 09:32:56 am »
Thanks for the responce mickey. I didn't delete the home directory before flashing and I did suspect that the window I can partially see was the mount window. Don't know why it's in german though and i cant get rid of it.

What should i delete before reflashing again? I don't need anything kept on the C1000, I just want a nice clean install.

Cheers,

Ben
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I removed both my sd card and my cf card and rebooted once...you get very minimal apps showing when Qtopia comes up....then I put the cards back in and rebooted again.  I think I then got a media screen but it was smaller and I could "okay" out of it.   Anyway,  you could try that - shouldn't hurt.

Maybe you installed the German version by mistake?

Hope this helps.  
Learning Chinese?  Have a Mac?  Try Hanzi Master: Download for free

Tombraider's Zaurus C1000 Tips Web Site

SL-3200 from Conics.net: Sharp ROM| SL-C1000: Pdaxrom Beta 3

tombraider

• View Profile
    • http://atoah.com/zaurus/
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2005, 09:39:20 am »
Coredump - thanks for newbie-slapping, it's always obvious when someone else points it out 

I eventually gave up on this ROM because i "played about" with it by reflashing, installing stuff, reflashing etc.

Justreader (my most used app)  failed, then it worked fine, then it failed again.

Opiereader is just nasty - is there no way to jump to a specific page in an ebook?

Other than these niggles, the rest of it seems fine, if not damn fine!!!
I'll try it again when it's officially released.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I had some difficulty with Justreader installation also.  I think I finally found a version in the Opie feed and installed it right from within the Zaurus package utility.  But as I recall, it still had some problems but they disappeared when I rebooted or something....I know this is not much help, but just wanted to tell you that JustReader is MY favorite app also and I got it working on the Hentges latest ROM and am using it.

Irk I haven't had the nerve to EVER try to install on any Open Zaurus so I can't help you there.  
Learning Chinese?  Have a Mac?  Try Hanzi Master: Download for free

Tombraider's Zaurus C1000 Tips Web Site

SL-3200 from Conics.net: Sharp ROM| SL-C1000: Pdaxrom Beta 3

fluffybob

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2005, 10:38:04 am »

Cheers,

Ben
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I removed both my sd card and my cf card and rebooted once...you get very minimal apps showing when Qtopia comes up....then I put the cards back in and rebooted again.  I think I then got a media screen but it was smaller and I could "okay" out of it.   Anyway,  you could try that - shouldn't hurt.

Maybe you installed the German version by mistake?

Hope this helps.  
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89908\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Cheers tombraider!

Everything works now, it switched to english when i booted without CF or SD cards inserted and stuck to english from then on.

Ben

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2005, 11:08:52 am »
Opie apps use some settings $HOME/Settings/*.conf - if you don't remove your old configuration files, then you won't get our default settings - which are necessary for large icons, large fonts, sane theme, etc.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2005, 01:42:02 pm »
Opie apps use some settings $HOME/Settings/*.conf - if you don't remove your old configuration files, then you won't get our default settings - which are necessary for large icons, large fonts, sane theme, etc.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

FWIW, Hentges allows to wipe /home/root/Settings during the first boot on Akita.
Other PDAs should not experience problems with old settings (I hope)

fluffybob

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2005, 07:01:06 am »
Hi all.

Finally making some progress with my C1000. Currently i'm desperate to get a vnc server installed. I've tried installing fbvncserver from oz feed\console but it says it needs fbvncserver-kmodule, libvncserver-storepasswd, libvncserver-javaapplet which I can't find in the feed.

I'm also having problems with prboom. It runs rotated and is not fullscreen but more importantly I don't seem able to do anything other than go up and down through the initial menu. Can't select to start a new game or even quit. I imagine this is just a config or keys problem but I cant find any information on where the keymap file is for prboom or where i can change a startup script to try it at a higher resolution.

Any pointers for either problem would be great!

Cheers,

Ben

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2005, 10:23:29 am »
prboom -width 640 -height 480

Hitting the touchscreen = enter

Then configure the keys in prboom to your preferences.

Might be an idea to ship prboom with device-specific config files.