Author Topic: What Headphone With Microphone For The Cxx00?  (Read 28646 times)

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
What Headphone With Microphone For The Cxx00?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2005, 05:53:00 am »
Update: there was a small error in the schematic. I took the resistors like they were in the rh2, but creative traced the resitors and switches a bit different: i.e. they took resistor 4 for Forward and resistor 5 for Rewind. the rh2 had this exactly swapped. so I just swapped the values of the resistors in the schematic so that they work properly.

Resistors of: Switch Forward and Switch Rewind are swapped and Switch Vol+ / Switch Vol- also are swapped... just look into the UPDATED schematics posted above. I've deleted the false one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 06:00:03 am by MONVMENTVM »
Device: Zaurus C3100
OS: testing pda[span style=\'font-size:13pt;line-height:100%\']X[/span]rom beta4
Window Manager: Xfce4 + ROX Desktop and Filer
WLAN: D-Link DCF-660W
Memory: Kingston 512MB SD
Creative Wired Remote modified to work as CE-RH2

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 03:46:01 pm »
yeah... today i got the resistors and soldered them into the creative remote... and hey: IT IS WORKING!

i will update this post as soon as i can to show you how i did (in pdaXrom... because pdaXrom has support just for ce-rh1... rh2 is not working out of the box, but it is not difficult to make it working).

OK here is the update:

First the schematic:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

The next thing is for pdaXrom (and maybe also OE or whatever)... sharprom should support it already.
=> In /etc/X11/kb/****.xmodmap file you have an entry for the ce-rh1. It begins where it says "! CE-RH1 Remote". Then the following is written:
keycode 104 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 105 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 106 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 107 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 108 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 109 = XF86AudioPlay

But there maybe is no entry for CE-RH2. As you can think the keycodes for the rh2 are different to the ones of rh1. To find the right keycodes for the rh2 i started the console and typed "xev". then i plugged in my remote and pressed the first key and while pressing looked in the console for the keycode. then the second and so on (should be no difference between original CE-RH2 and modificated Creative Remote because the resistors are the same). I came to the following results:

keycode 128 = Volume Up
keycode 124 = Volume Down
keycode 126 = Previous
keycode 116 = Next
keycode 72 = Stop
keycode 76 = Play

so you can write this in the xmodmap file: (dont know why key 124 & 128 and 116 & 126 are switched)

keycode 124 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 128 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 126 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 116 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 72 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 76 = XF86AudioPlay

But in pdaXrom this takes some CPU time and i.e. if you want to lower the volume it is delayed for about 1 second or something. Every Button is somehow delayed. But the nice thing with this method is that if you press PLAY, XMMS starts automatically and plays where it stopped the last time. But i hate it that the buttons react delayed. So i assigned the keycodes to the shortcuts of XMMS in the xmodmap file, which are the following:
keycode 128 = Up (means Volume Up)
keycode 124 = Down (means Volume Down)
keycode 126 = Z (means Previous)
keycode 116 = B (means Next)
keycode 72 = C (means Stop)
keycode 76 = X (means Play)

as you also can see the keycodes are switched here again (as they should be... dont know why but it works as it should).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 05:02:08 pm by MONVMENTVM »
OS: testing pda[span style=\'font-size:13pt;line-height:100%\']X[/span]rom beta4

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005, 12:25:10 pm »
yeah... today i got the resistors and soldered them into the creative remote... and hey: IT IS WORKING!

i will update this post as soon as i can to show you how i did (in pdaXrom... because pdaXrom has support just for ce-rh1... rh2 is not working out of the box, but it is not difficult to make it working).

OK here is the update:

First the schematic:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

The next thing is for pdaXrom (and maybe also OE or whatever)... sharprom should support it already.
=> In /etc/X11/kb/****.xmodmap file you have an entry for the ce-rh1. It begins where it says "! CE-RH1 Remote". Then the following is written:
keycode 104 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 105 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 106 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 107 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 108 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 109 = XF86AudioPlay

But there maybe is no entry for CE-RH2. As you can think the keycodes for the rh2 are different to the ones of rh1. To find the right keycodes for the rh2 i started the console and typed "xev". then i plugged in my remote and pressed the first key and while pressing looked in the console for the keycode. then the second and so on (should be no difference between original CE-RH2 and modificated Creative Remote because the resistors are the same). I came to the following results:

keycode 128 = Volume Up
keycode 124 = Volume Down
keycode 126 = Previous
keycode 116 = Next
keycode 72 = Stop
keycode 76 = Play

so you can write this in the xmodmap file: (dont know why key 124 & 128 and 116 & 126 are switched)

keycode 124 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 128 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 126 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 116 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 72 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 76 = XF86AudioPlay

But in pdaXrom this takes some CPU time and i.e. if you want to lower the volume it is delayed for about 1 second or something. Every Button is somehow delayed. But the nice thing with this method is that if you press PLAY, XMMS starts automatically and plays where it stopped the last time. But i hate it that the buttons react delayed. So i assigned the keycodes to the shortcuts of XMMS in the xmodmap file, which are the following:
keycode 128 = Up (means Volume Up)
keycode 124 = Down (means Volume Down)
keycode 126 = Z (means Previous)
keycode 116 = B (means Next)
keycode 72 = C (means Stop)
keycode 76 = X (means Play)

as you also can see the keycodes are switched here again (as they should be... dont know why but it works as it should).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101934\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

For those who are not good in fidling with electronics.  Is this modification hard to do?  Where can I order the parts (other than the remote itself) in the US?  Radio Shack?  If I show the schematic to the store clerk, will he know what parts I need?  Thanks in advance.
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

ex-SL-C3000; ex-SL-5600; ex-Simpad

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2005, 04:02:41 pm »
yeah... you just have to show them the schematic and tell them that they should be SMD (surface mounted devices = the small ones).

it is not hard to do... i needed less than half an hour for soldering the resistors out and the new ones in. the problem is that they are very small so you need  small needlenose pliers, a soldering iron with a thin soldering pin (the smaller the better. i had one with 0.8mm diameter but 0.4mm would be even better) and a very calm hand

chiark

• View Profile
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 05:13:17 pm »
Soldering surface mount resistors is quite tricky for the first few times...  I must admit that I'm not yet adept at it!

I'll get my device constructed soon.  Honest

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2005, 08:20:34 pm »
yeah... you just have to show them the schematic and tell them that they should be SMD (surface mounted devices = the small ones).

it is not hard to do... i needed less than half an hour for soldering the resistors out and the new ones in. the problem is that they are very small so you need  small needlenose pliers, a soldering iron with a thin soldering pin (the smaller the better. i had one with 0.8mm diameter but 0.4mm would be even better) and a very calm hand
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks for your suggestions.

I just received the Zen remote that I ordered from buy.com.  How do I disassemble it?  I can't see any screws.  Do I just pop the face plate?

Update:  I figured this out.  You just have to pop the face plate with a knife.  It is slightly glued but can be popped without damage to the case.

Just to confirm the orientation of the resistors does not matter, right?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 08:33:55 pm by kurochka »
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2005, 01:27:31 am »
right... it doesnt matter.

pelon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2005, 05:46:23 pm »
Off Topic

Sorry, but no one else is talking about headphones. Specifically the jack. I had been using my C3000 as an mp3 player, but now I only receive one channel, unless I push the plug to one side. I've seen this before in small radios. It's likely the jack is bent near where it connects to the board.

I have yet to take my Z apart, but my experience has been dismal trying to repair these things. Any hints or tricks? I don't want to risk getting no sound at all, but I would also like to get VOIP working, and not have to carry around a separate gadget to listen to podcasts.
pelon
hp200LX->hp200LXoverclocked->SL5500->C3000->

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 11:16:17 pm »

it is not hard to do... i needed less than half an hour for soldering the resistors out and the new ones in. the problem is that they are very small so you need  small needlenose pliers, a soldering iron with a thin soldering pin (the smaller the better. i had one with 0.8mm diameter but 0.4mm would be even better) and a very calm hand
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Need more help.  I went to Radio Shack, showed the guy the schematic and said that the resistors are SMD.  The guy said that I need to give him more information.  He showed me some resistors that were bigger.  Could you provide me as much information or the place where you ordered yours?  I have the Zen remote and without the right resistors it will just sit there.  Please help.

chiark

• View Profile
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2005, 03:41:54 am »
If he showed you resistors that were bigger, were they the typical "cyindrical" resistors?

If you've got the remote, take it down with you and show him what you need to replace; if they stock 'em, he'll be able to provide you with them.

vrejakti

• View Profile
    • http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2005, 12:06:21 am »
While looking through a Best Buy flyer I came across a PSP Headset with Speaker Phone.
(Linked to my web server... couldn't find a usuable link to Best Buy.)

GadgetGuy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2005, 09:42:50 am »
While looking through a Best Buy flyer I came across a PSP Headset with Speaker Phone.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Most probably it will not work, as the plug has 4 conductors. The Z needs a plug with 3 conductors - like on a standard telephone headset connector...
Zaurus C-3100 from PriceJapan with OZ 3.5.4.1. Opie and GPE
Ambicom CF WL1100C Wifi Card and Symbol Wireless Networker CF Wifi Card
1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD
PdAir leather case - Nintendo DS metal case
various smaller CF and SD cards
all kinds of USB cables and accessories
-------------------------------------------------------------
Previous computers: TI 99/4A, ZX81, C64, Amiga 500, Apple Powerbook 100
Previous PDA's: Palm 1000, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Audiovox Maestro Pocket PC, Psion 5mx
Current PDA: Palm Tungsten E2
Current favourite: Zaurus C3100 - my "micro laptop"

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2005, 02:03:44 pm »
If he showed you resistors that were bigger, were they the typical "cyindrical" resistors?

If you've got the remote, take it down with you and show him what you need to replace; if they stock 'em, he'll be able to provide you with them.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks.  I'll try another Radio Shack because the guy in the store I went to first was clueless.

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2005, 03:08:06 pm »
hi there
what about the GlobalSat BTH-830 bluetooth audio kit ???

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=99

it looks just wonderful! i mean you plug it to the audio output of the Z; it enables you to do stereo bluetooth output to the tranceiver; then you plug your favourite headeset (koss?) into the receiver and there you bluetooth-paired it with your gsm phone!
now you can remotely listen to the Z playing xmms, and you can receive phone call (and talk!) without a move!
i wonder if the remote control would manage xmms with a plugin (it can mage window$ media player...)
what do you think about that ?
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

OttoAcuna

• View Profile
    • http://www.recuperacion.net
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2006, 03:38:10 am »
GadgetGuy,

I'm a bit confused, as this thread has gone into building one. Is there any headset in the market, accourding to your research, that uses the appropiate 3.5 mm plug and works out of the box with the 3100? I did get a couple of adaptors from local Radioshack and from Amazon with no luck.... probably I got a wrong connector. But leaving "building it"  aside, is there any that I could just buy?

Regards,

Otto

http://kane.servebeer.com/pics/psp.png[/img]

It looks to be a 3.5mm jack. Anyone have an informed insight as to whether it would work? 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Most probably it will not work, as the plug has 4 conductors. The Z needs a plug with 3 conductors - like on a standard telephone headset connector...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Otto Acuña
San Jose, Costa Rica

Business User with

SL-5500: TkROM with Ambicom Wi-Fi, AirCable BT, Sandisk Ultra II 512MB CF, Panasonic HiSpeed 256 SD, Battery Pack, Sharp Camera, Retractable Cord and Car Recharge.

SL-C3100: Cacko 1.23, still in the process to customization to own needs.