Author Topic: 6000 Dm Menu Won't See Cf Card  (Read 6853 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
6000 Dm Menu Won't See Cf Card
« on: October 21, 2005, 08:01:11 am »
OK, so I borrowed this 512MB cf card, it had 200MB space, so I tried to do a nand backup.

the Z reported, from the DM menu when I tried CF backup: "can not initialise CF".

so I repartioned the card, to wipe it clean, formatted as fat32, and tried again. same result.

tried putting the syst0006.dbk file onto the card, and nand restore says the same thing.

anyone got any guesses?

thanks
Paul
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

guylhem

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 10:02:35 am »
OK, so I borrowed this 512MB cf card, it had 200MB space, so I tried to do a nand backup.

the Z reported, from the DM menu when I tried CF backup: "can not initialise CF".

so I repartioned the card, to wipe it clean, formatted as fat32, and tried again. same result.

tried putting the syst0006.dbk file onto the card, and nand restore says the same thing.

anyone got any guesses?

thanks
Paul
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hello

Try with another card. Your 64M should be enough for a nandbackup (which will completely fill it).

Try to fdisk it by hand under your zaurus - d to delete every partition, n to create a new big primary partition, t to toggle it to type b (fat 32). Then mkfs.vfat it

It should work. The new .dbk for the latest version is ready and currently running on my Z :-) If you can wait until sunday when I can upload it

GadgetGuy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 10:10:56 am »

anyone got any guesses?

thanks
Paul
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Not all CF cards work for NAND backups. I have done the exact same steps (formatting and copying NAND backup files to the card on a WinXP laptop) for two different cards: a Sandisk 256 MB and  a Kingston 512 MB card. The Sandisk card worked, the Kingston did not ( for a NAND restore). Otherwise the Kingston card works for everything else ( files, digital camera use etc.).

Other users have also found, that the Z is very picky about what CF cards it accepts for NAND flash...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:13:45 am by GadgetGuy »
Zaurus C-3100 from PriceJapan with OZ 3.5.4.1. Opie and GPE
Ambicom CF WL1100C Wifi Card and Symbol Wireless Networker CF Wifi Card
1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD
PdAir leather case - Nintendo DS metal case
various smaller CF and SD cards
all kinds of USB cables and accessories
-------------------------------------------------------------
Previous computers: TI 99/4A, ZX81, C64, Amiga 500, Apple Powerbook 100
Previous PDA's: Palm 1000, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Audiovox Maestro Pocket PC, Psion 5mx
Current PDA: Palm Tungsten E2
Current favourite: Zaurus C3100 - my "micro laptop"

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 05:57:47 pm »
thanks for the replies. the 64MB fujifilm card that came with it only formats to 62MB capacity, just a bit too small :-(

I did wonder whether there was a CF card compatibility. I tried booting with and without the card present... I was fairly sure it wasn't my problem as I've done this with my 860 and no hitches at all.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Gorth

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 07:33:12 pm »
"The new .dbk for the latest version is ready and currently running on my Z :-) If you can wait until sunday when I can upload it"

This is great news.  Not to disparage other efforts, but I think guylhem's rom is the best all around for sl-6000.  It's the perfect blend of an efficient, utilitarian interface with sophisticated and well-designed technical underpinnings.  The current version is very stable, touchscreen independent... and I can't wait to try out the new one.  Thanks guylhem!