Author Topic: Anyone Use Suse 10.0 For Z Dev?...  (Read 4365 times)

Ragnorok

• View Profile
    • http://
Anyone Use Suse 10.0 For Z Dev?...
« on: December 03, 2005, 10:19:25 pm »
- I snagged SUSE 10.0, Fedora 4, and Debian "sarge" is downloading right now, but the torrents from cdimage.debian.org aren't getting any real bandwidth, so it's going to take a coon's age to finish both DVDs (three days for the second at a paltry 11KB/s).  Since I've never used any distro but Red Hat I'm going to try Fedora last.  Since SUSE is done downloading I'd like to try that first.

- BUT if it's not a good distro for Z dev, it's not in the running, and I'll have to wait 'til Debian gets done (or someone points me to better torrents [nudge, wink]).  Perhaps I shouldn't be trying to download the whole ball o' wax up front?  (shrug)  I vastly prefer offline installations, but over 8GB is quite a bit, and I don't strictly have to do that if there's "a better way", ie, one that gets Debian up without waiting three days!  (snicker)

- Thanks for your time...
| I shed a tear for the passing of Hiroshi; he served me well
| Zaurus zealot since Nov 2002, PDA user since Oct 1991
| Replaced Z with UMID BZ February 2010

Absolute Nirvana

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 12:55:26 pm »
Personally I have had no problems doing development for the Z under SuSE 10.0 .  I have been able to cross compile kernels and applications quick and easy using the How-To guides on the user group website.  The only thing I have not tried doing is cross compiling Qtopia apps, everything that I have compiled has been console based.  But I would recommend giving SuSE a go, it does a lot of other things well besides Z dev too.
Zaurus SL-C1000
PdaXrom 1.1.0 beta 2
Brando Ultra Clear Screen Protector
512MB Viking CF, Crucial 128MB MMC
Ambicom WL1100 CF wifi
Custom hand-sewn case (made out of headliner)

Ragnorok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 02:53:24 pm »
- Burning the ISO now.  Donkies!...
| I shed a tear for the passing of Hiroshi; he served me well
| Zaurus zealot since Nov 2002, PDA user since Oct 1991
| Replaced Z with UMID BZ February 2010

zAlexandr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:10:17 am »
Personally I have had no problems doing development for the Z under SuSE 10.0 .  I have been able to cross compile kernels and applications quick and easy using the How-To guides on the user group website.  The only thing I have not tried doing is cross compiling Qtopia apps, everything that I have compiled has been console based.  But I would recommend giving SuSE a go, it does a lot of other things well besides Z dev too.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hello.
Did you compile it from command line or in KDevelop IDE?
I cannot configure KDevelop 3 while QDIR variable setted to the qt3 and if I reassign it then KDE is failed to start.  

Thank you.
Zaurus SL-C1000, Sharp ROM 1.01
CF WLAN D-Link

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 10:23:53 am »
I have also been using Suse 10, and while I am not developing anything in KDevelop - its all Python/PyQT apps - I have faced a problem in building the IPK with ipkg-build script that worked perfectly on my older Redhat 9.0 box.

Now when I do the IPKG build I get an error and it bombs out - everytime.
This happens on all IPK's that I try to build.

Is there something I am missing here ?
Thanks for any help...
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |