Author Topic: Rom Discussion On Tosa  (Read 87664 times)

johnw

• View Profile
    • http://wallacesoftware.com/zaurus
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 11:36:28 pm »
I would love a better ROM than the Sharp ROM, and the Guyhelm-Cacko sounds like it might be good.  I hope its finished soon.  :-)
Sharp SL6000L Sharp SL5000d Intel PRO Wireless 802.11b CF 512MB Toshiba SD Sharp CE-AG06 camera Pocketop

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 05:18:52 pm »
any news on CG6000 rom?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

eji

• View Profile
    • http://charlatan.blogspot.com/
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 02:51:50 am »
I've actually been relatively content with the Sharp ROM -- relatively, I mean, compared to what else is on offer. Anything that involves extensive terminal tweaking after flash is enough to put me off changing: maybe because I'm lazy, maybe because I'm stupid, or maybe because "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems like pretty a good philosophy for something I use every day for writing, e-mailing, PIM and listening to music. I really can't afford to have it in some half-finished beta state.

For all intents and purposes, the Qtopia/Sharp ROM is polished and stable, if not exactly feature-rich. I personally would rather see enhancements to it instead of a slew of whole new projects, but that might only be because I have no coding skills whatsoever and an aversion to heavy-duty tinkering (which I'd say goes beyond the definition of tinkering).

One thing I can't understand is, why can't we find a 6000W ROM and extract the Bluetooth software modules from there? (I think guylhem's got one already.) That way, the 6000 would have native BT support and we could be ahead of other models in at least one software category.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:54:53 am by eji »
Zaurus SL-6000L w/ Sharp ROM v1.12 - 1GB SanDisk CF - 1GB Lexar SD - Socket Rev. E BT CF | Mac OS X 10.5.x - iMac 24" 2.8Ghz | SIP: 864753@voip.brujula.net - 1 747 603 3461 (Gizmo/SIPhone)

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 08:16:20 pm »
any imporvements on oz on the 6k?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 06:23:40 am »
any imporvements on oz on the 6k?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

IIRC working keymaps and working suspend/resume.
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

coolass

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 02:19:57 pm »
Is there any other Rom for the sl-6000 that will allow me to use WIFI connections without a command line script ? I can't wait until DrWowe's CG6000 rom is out to breath new life into my 6k...

koen

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 03:27:28 pm »
Is there any other Rom for the sl-6000 that will allow me to use WIFI connections without a command line script ? I can't wait until DrWowe's CG6000 rom is out to breath new life into my 6k...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

A ROM, no, but you can use either gpe or opie with openzaurus to use wifi with gui tools.
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

adf

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 02:51:55 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

A ROM, no, but you can use either gpe or opie with openzaurus to use wifi with gui tools.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Does OZ still display yellow/orange "interference" lines on the 6k? That was kind of a problem last time I checked.  I don't mean to belabor it, though.  It would be a nice 6k system if that had been fixed.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 02:53:54 am by adf »
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

ken

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 04:13:19 am »
One thing I can't understand is, why can't we find a 6000W ROM and extract the Bluetooth software modules from there? (I think guylhem's got one already.) That way, the 6000 would have native BT support and we could be ahead of other models in at least one software category.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'm satisfied with the Sharp ROM too.  It would have been nice to try guylhem's rom, but I think it's more on the dead than alive side.  He does good work, but I have the feeling to get it to the point of being released will take a while more, perhaps 6 months to a year down the line.  His last work was in October, which would make it about 6 months since any work was done on it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 04:14:54 am by ken »
SL-6000L Sharp ROM 1.12 - 1G SD (RiDATA) - 2G Microdrive (Hitachi)
TRENDnet TE-CF100 10/100 (no drivers needed) AmbiCom CF56M-EZ modem (no drivers needed)

koen

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 04:25:38 am »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Does OZ still display yellow/orange "interference" lines on the 6k? That was kind of a problem last time I checked.  I don't mean to belabor it, though.  It would be a nice 6k system if that had been fixed.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That has been fixed a while ago. 2.6 is running very, very well
Ångström release team
My blog

trichmon

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 11:44:45 am »
Does OZ support wake on alarms yet?    I mean does it have a working calendar system in either gpe or opie?  Thats one of the big reasons i have not given it a long test.

Todd
SL-6000l running pdaXrom RC12 icewm + rox
Targus keyboard
Trendnet cf 10/100 ethernet
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card
SL-5500 running zynergy rom

nevarrie

• View Profile
    • http://www.thegrantclan.org
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 02:35:52 pm »
I am starting to play with running pdaxrom with enlightenment17.

[img]http://www.thegrantclan.org/images/zaurus/pdaxrom_e17_kopi.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

I currently have USB networking so that I can uses x11vnc to control the 6k while it is in the cradle.  

KOPI has imported my ics file so I have access to my currect calender.  The lack of Pi-sync bothers me a little both as of e17 ont he z I so far find it very nice and responsive.  

The screen rotate button int he ibar works great.  I was not able to get matchbox to rotate the 6k(at least I coudl nto find how).

The escreenshow module does not work.

Teh battery meter shows 100, 75, 50 , 25 but also show how many minutes it believe I still have left.  I am not sure how accurate it issince I have nto been timing it.

Suspend works from teh power button.  Every time so far this weekend it has returned without a problem but I currently have everythign installed locally and not on a cf or sd card.

I am currently still trying to get Wifi working.

I hope to get wifi working in the next couple of days.

Just though I would put inthat info about using pdaxrom on the 6k...
Jeremy "Nevarrie" Grant
SL-6000L
OpenZaurus 3.5.4.1 GPE(2.6 kernel)|GrantRom 0.01(e-image clone)
Targus IR Keyborad

adf

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 04:39:23 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That has been fixed a while ago. 2.6 is running very, very well
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Then maybe it is time for another look at gpe

Hrw

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 04:48:11 pm »
nevarie: try wlan-ng 0.2.1-pre26 - they should work (we use them in OpenZaurus 3.5.4). 0.2.2 will NOT work.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

egg8178

• View Profile
Rom Discussion On Tosa
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 11:25:16 pm »
Nevarrie,
It would be really nice if you could share your experience in using pdaxrom on the 6k, esp the wifi part, thank you, and i understand that we can actually dual boot the pdaxrom from sd so to keep the stock in internal flash?

can someone point out the + and - of doing so?

p/s: it's really been quiet around here (6k) and i really envy all the attention others (3k, 1k) have..  

I am starting to play with running pdaxrom with enlightenment17.

[img]http://www.thegrantclan.org/images/zaurus/pdaxrom_e17_kopi.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

I currently have USB networking so that I can uses x11vnc to control the 6k while it is in the cradle. 

KOPI has imported my ics file so I have access to my currect calender.  The lack of Pi-sync bothers me a little both as of e17 ont he z I so far find it very nice and responsive. 

The screen rotate button int he ibar works great.  I was not able to get matchbox to rotate the 6k(at least I coudl nto find how).

The escreenshow module does not work.

Teh battery meter shows 100, 75, 50 , 25 but also show how many minutes it believe I still have left.  I am not sure how accurate it issince I have nto been timing it.

Suspend works from teh power button.  Every time so far this weekend it has returned without a problem but I currently have everythign installed locally and not on a cf or sd card.

I am currently still trying to get Wifi working.

I hope to get wifi working in the next couple of days.

Just though I would put inthat info about using pdaxrom on the 6k...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:28:13 pm by egg8178 »