Author Topic: Announce: Simpleedit  (Read 19108 times)

cwaig

• View Profile
Announce: Simpleedit
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:28:44 am »
First release of SimpleEdit just uploaded to My Webpage .
This is a fairly basic programmers text editor for Qtopia on the Zaurus.
It uses the Scintilla editor widget (via the QScintilla wrapper) for it's underlying edit widget, and as such supports folding, search/replace & code completion.
Also has multiple tabs, splitable views, syntax highlighting, undo/redo, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Try it out - I reckon it's not bad - better than tkcEdit anyway (has keyboard shortcuts for those of us with IR/USB keyboards anyway).<br>

I've only tried this on the SL6000 - any feedback appreciated.

[img]http://88.96.49.152/~zaurus/simple_edit_screenshot.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

(I know we don't really need another editor for the Zaurus - I really just wanted one that did the stuff I wanted it to)
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor
Wrote a couple of things....
IRK, SubApplet, QMode2, NetActive, SimpleEdit, zPocketScript.

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 06:29:59 am »
Oh yeah - I would have entered this on ELSI, but to be honest ELSI is to much of a mucking about.....I miss the old ZSI.
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor

Hrw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:39:27 am »
source? I want to test it under OZ/OPIE
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 07:17:31 am »
source? I want to test it under OZ/OPIE
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'll get round to source (probably later in the week)......

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:30:27 am »
I just tried it on my old SL-C860 (running Cacko 1.23), don't particular need it since I use SciTE on my OpenBSD SL-C3000 now but this was just the sort of thing I wanted at one time for Qtopia.

it doesn't seem to give the highlighting or code folding... are the lexers specifically omitted or installed from another package?

Also one small thing is that it doesn't install an .desktop file.

-Andy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 10:30:51 am by iamasmith »
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 11:30:54 am »
I just tried it on my old SL-C860 (running Cacko 1.23), don't particular need it since I use SciTE on my OpenBSD SL-C3000 now but this was just the sort of thing I wanted at one time for Qtopia.

it doesn't seem to give the highlighting or code folding... are the lexers specifically omitted or installed from another package?

Also one small thing is that it doesn't install an .desktop file.

-Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Oops - left the .desktop file out of the IPK. New version (1.0.1) uploaded now (exactly the same, but it now installs the missing .desktop file).

The lexer's for C/C++ and JavaScript are built in (auto-selected based on file extension). I left out the others to reduce the size of the binary (I didn't need them). I guess I can do a build with the others included if there's any demand.

The code folding is turned off by default - turn it on by selecting the menu option View->Folding.

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 02:17:20 pm »
nice job now I can dump yEdit
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

nilch

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 02:22:06 pm »
Would love to see syntax highlighting for Python.

I want to be able to use for my Python code editing in particular.

Thanks for the update though...
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 12:12:34 am »
and perl too would be nice...
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 04:30:49 am »
I didn't build in a lot of the lexers for languages that Scintilla supports to cut down on the binary size of SimpleEdit (small size == faster loading). But as people have asked for it - I've enabled some of the extra languages. A new version (1.0.2) is now available which supports syntax highlighting for the following languages:
Perl (*.pl)
Python (*.py)
HTML (*.htm,*.html)
Java (*.java)
C/C++ (*.c,*.cc,*.cpp,*.h,*.cxx)
JavaScript (*.js)

Guess that sorts everyone out now......

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 04:41:03 am »
I didn't build in a lot of the lexers for languages that Scintilla supports to cut down on the binary size of SimpleEdit (small size == faster loading). But as people have asked for it - I've enabled some of the extra languages. A new version (1.0.2) is now available which supports syntax highlighting for the following languages:
Perl (*.pl)
Python (*.py)
HTML (*.htm,*.html)
Java (*.java)
JavaScript (*.js)

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Almost... you may want to check the CONTROL file.. the package insists on being renamed to simple-edit_arm.ipk now.

Also it should be noted that the lexers only become active when you actually load a file... it may be nice to select lexers when the file is saved and possibly allow a manual selection so the lexers are active when you are in the first edit session.

Currently to get the lexers active on your first edit session you must save the file, close it and re-open it.

Aside from that yes, it's a great little editor   - Closer and closer to a version of qscite every day.

-Andy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:42:25 am by iamasmith »
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

Raul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 04:52:32 am »
I didn't build in a lot of the lexers for languages that Scintilla supports to cut down on the binary size of SimpleEdit (small size == faster loading).
Could you write how to add other languages?
Thanks in advance

And I would like to know how to turn on highlighting of syntax for specified language. I tried yesterday and it didn't colorize html syntax.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 12:48:23 am by Raul »

daniel3000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 04:43:30 am »
when I install the 1.0.2 package I can only start SimpleEdit from command line or from the QT / Applications menu, not from the Home / Application tab.
The icon created on the application tab has no name and produces an error message: "No application is defined for this type of document. Type is Applictions."

If I start it from the menu, it starts in QVGA mode.

If I edit the .desktop file manually and add the line
Display = 640x480/144dpi,480x640/144dpi
I can at least start it in VGA landscape mode. But still, the icon on the Application tab is not okay...

Otherwise: A very, very nice editor it seems. Went up on my top three editors list to second item (first one is pico for command line :-)

Thanks!

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

pgas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 05:54:06 am »
Almost... you may want to check the CONTROL file.. the package insists on being renamed to simple-edit_arm.ipk now.

all "-" in the filename are converted into "_" when you attach something to your post.

and package names should not contain underscore...
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 01:01:09 pm »
Perl (*.pl)
Python (*.py)
HTML (*.htm,*.html)
Java (*.java)
JavaScript (*.js)

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Don't know if this is too much to ask, but could you recompile again and ad support for PHP?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze