Author Topic: Just Got A Zaurus Sl-5500, Has Problems  (Read 1960 times)

WCSPC Manager

• View Profile
Just Got A Zaurus Sl-5500, Has Problems
« on: May 01, 2006, 07:35:48 pm »
Ok, well im new to this forum, and also new to the Sharp Zaurus pdas. But not new to Palms or Pocket PCs.

Actually I bought mine from someone from this forum, and well I could just email him, but he may not have the answer as fast as some of you guys :-D

Ok, so this 5500 has OpenZaurus GPE. When i got it it was fine! But then the battery power was drained (had to rush to get an adapter for US outlets). So then I turned it on, it got to the OpenZaurus screen, then the GPE screen, then it just turned off by itself.
Then it just quite a couple seconds after the OpenZaurus screen! :-/
Then, i looked up online how to do a hard reset (i think i did it right, the button by the battery). Now it just doesnt do anything, but it does make a whine when i turn it on, but then quits after a few seconds.
Now, no offense for the smart OZ users here, but I just wanted to switch it back to the original Sharp ROM when I got it, so im wondering how to get that back on it, and if that would fix my problem.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Hopefully someone here or the seller here can help me out (ive emailed the person also about it)

WCSPC Manager

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:45:51 pm »
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WELL, it seems to be working now... well that was dumb on my behalf... the charger must just be worn out so it doesnt work properly all the time, so perhaps buying a new charger is in order! :-P

Still wondering how to switch it back to Sharp ROM though

thanks for nothing so far :-P

Ventmore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 05:04:38 am »
Have a look here...and more specifically here!!!

HTH
Ventmore
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 05:05:02 am by Ventmore »

WCSPC Manager

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 04:05:46 pm »
Thanks! I got it back to the original now, which suits me fine for now.

Now this thing's sweet!

Ventmore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:12:06 pm »
No probs mate...glad I could help

You may want eventually to consider using one of the ROMS that allows you to move /home onto your SD card.  I am using tkrom 2 at the moment, and although I had problems initially, I think I've solved those now (I'll post in the appropriate threads when I'm satisfied), and my 5500s apps and data will now survive a hard reset...say in the event of a total power failure

Cheers
Ventmore