Author Topic: Graphical Login For Pdaxrom  (Read 21422 times)

jerrybme

• View Profile
    • http://
Graphical Login For Pdaxrom
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 02:50:16 pm »
I'm crash-testing Beta-4, so, I'm game.
Thanks!
SL-C3100
Angstrom-GPE
Lexar SD 1 GB
PQI 2GB CF
Ambicom WL1100 CF

silencer51

• View Profile
    • http://tchalikias.blogspot.com
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 03:23:05 pm »
I'm also willing to try it... ;-)
Zaurus SL-5500 with:
128MB CF Card                                    
128MB SD Card
Symbol WiFi CF Card (working, sorta... overheats and shuts down!)
OZ 3.5.4 & GPE

Zaurus SL-C3100 with:
pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 & XFCE4, /dev/hda1 256MB swap, /dev/hda2 512MB ext3, /dev/hda3 3328MB FAT32 for stuff
D-Link DCF-660 WiFi CF Card
1GB SD Card
128MB SD Card
128MB CF Card (for flashing)
USB Host Cable

& a Sony VAIO PCG-C1XD Picturebook with accessories...

[img]http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7319/usbar21mw.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

karlto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 03:54:07 pm »
The point is that the (console) login appears with default runlevel "5" in the original pdaXrom setup. I added gdm to runlevel 5, as it should be on a desktop-computer.

The only trick I miss right now is to stop gdm and get a console login. (The only way I can do it is as described above).

Chero
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127231\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Ah, so there is no runlevel 3? Create it: set up inittab with runlevel 3 (or 4) having the default pdaXrom settings, and runlevel 5 adding gdm. Then you can telinit between them and pick one or the other for a default.

Watch out for the startup files in /etc/rc.d/init.d, as they are linked to runlevel - hmm... this could be more work than I first thought...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 03:55:16 pm by karlto »
SL6000-L, RC12

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 04:18:34 pm »
The point is that the (console) login appears with default runlevel "5" in the original pdaXrom setup. I added gdm to runlevel 5, as it should be on a desktop-computer.

The only trick I miss right now is to stop gdm and get a console login. (The only way I can do it is as described above).

Chero
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127231\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Ah, so there is no runlevel 3? Create it: set up inittab with runlevel 3 (or 4) having the default pdaXrom settings, and runlevel 5 adding gdm. Then you can telinit between them and pick one or the other for a default.

Watch out for the startup files in /etc/rc.d/init.d, as they are linked to runlevel - hmm... this could be more work than I first thought...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127321\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Yep,
You need runlevel 5 to run pdax, I was thinking about creating an extra runlevel, which means shifting the shutdown level.
Chero.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:19:53 pm by Chero »
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

karlto

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 11:56:04 pm »
Yep,
You need runlevel 5 to run pdax, I was thinking about creating an extra runlevel, which means shifting the shutdown level.
Chero.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127324\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
How can you shift the shutdown level?

Runlevels 0, 1 and 6 are reserved (for shutdown, single user and reboot). The others are up for grabs, and while tradition says that 3 is console and 5 is graphical, various distributions change this and there is no hard and fast rule.

I think you will have to move the settings that are currently in runlevel 5 down to 3 or 4, so you can use 5 for graphical. Or maybe you could install it backwards...? That's why I mentioned it being a bit more work than I initially thought, because you'd have to move the current default down, as you can't add any more up.

My head is spinning with numbers now... imagine how much difficulty I would have with double digits! In the end there is only 0 and 1 anyhow...  
SL6000-L, RC12

Chero

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 02:11:34 am »
Yep,
Chero.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127324\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
How can you shift the shutdown level?

Runlevels 0, 1 and 6 are reserved (for shutdown, single user and reboot). The others are up for grabs, and while tradition says that 3 is console and 5 is graphical, various distributions change this and there is no hard and fast rule.

I think you will have to move the settings that are currently in runlevel 5 down to 3 or 4, so you can use 5 for graphical. Or maybe you could install it backwards...? That's why I mentioned it being a bit more work than I initially thought, because you'd have to move the current default down, as you can't add any more up.

My head is spinning with numbers now... imagine how much difficulty I would have with double digits! In the end there is only 0 and 1 anyhow...  
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I thought it was like that, but read something about runlevel 7 while googling, so I just hoped there would be a way...
Anyone knows how "kdm" jumps back to console login ? Maybe I should look into this.

Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 02:30:07 am »
I got further now... if I type gdm now the screen turns grey and there is this mousepointer (as if X would start). But then nothing happens... I can move the pointer so the system doesnt hang but still it does nothing.

btw. when I start gdmgreeter it says in console:
"gdmgreeter: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

where do I get this lib? this ist something related to gtk, isn't it?
Device: Zaurus C3100
OS: testing pda[span style=\'font-size:13pt;line-height:100%\']X[/span]rom beta4
Window Manager: Xfce4 + ROX Desktop and Filer
WLAN: D-Link DCF-660W
Memory: Kingston 512MB SD
Creative Wired Remote modified to work as CE-RH2

Chero

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 02:36:53 am »
I got further now... if I type gdm now the screen turns grey and there is this mousepointer (as if X would start). But then nothing happens... I can move the pointer so the system doesnt hang but still it does nothing.

btw. when I start gdmgreeter it says in console:
"gdmgreeter: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

where do I get this lib? this ist something related to gtk, isn't it?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

gconf is in the main feed(s), I'll add it to the deps.

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 02:37:49 am »
thx I already found it in another discussion.

I'm giving it another try with the bugfixed beta4 now!
OS: testing pda[span style=\'font-size:13pt;line-height:100%\']X[/span]rom beta4

silencer51

• View Profile
    • http://tchalikias.blogspot.com
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 04:59:00 am »
Remember, you need to add a gdm user group:

addgroup gdm

and afterwards:

adduser gdm

It works for me, although when I start xfce4 the fonts are the wrong size - apparently Chero's xinitrc file is being loaded instead of mine. I'll see if I can find a way to edit the .conf file...
Zaurus SL-5500 with:
128MB CF Card                                    
128MB SD Card
Symbol WiFi CF Card (working, sorta... overheats and shuts down!)
OZ 3.5.4 & GPE

Zaurus SL-C3100 with:
pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 & XFCE4, /dev/hda1 256MB swap, /dev/hda2 512MB ext3, /dev/hda3 3328MB FAT32 for stuff
D-Link DCF-660 WiFi CF Card
1GB SD Card
128MB SD Card
128MB CF Card (for flashing)
USB Host Cable

& a Sony VAIO PCG-C1XD Picturebook with accessories...

[img]http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7319/usbar21mw.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Chero

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 05:44:50 am »
Remember, you need to add a gdm user group:

addgroup gdm

and afterwards:

adduser gdm

It works for me, although when I start xfce4 the fonts are the wrong size - apparently Chero's xinitrc file is being loaded instead of mine. I'll see if I can find a way to edit the .conf file...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Try editing /usr/etc/gdm/gdm.conf (you can simply use the edit function in mc)
then replace every "-dpi 100" by " "

I changed this to make sure the greeter screen was readable.

Chero.

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 06:57:32 am »
Intersting point here... if I  "addgroup gdm" and then "adduser gdm" it says: "adduser: group name gdm already in use".

anyway if I type gdm the screen turns grey and the pointer appears on the screen... that means that X starts but it doesnt go further. The pointer moves if I tap the screen so the Zaurus doesnt hang. If I press ctrl+alt+bs I get back to the terminal.

Or does it maybe take so long for gdm to start (for the first time)?

jerrybme

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 07:34:22 am »
Intersting point here... if I  "addgroup gdm" and then "adduser gdm" it says: "adduser: group name gdm already in use".

anyway if I type gdm the screen turns grey and the pointer appears on the screen... that means that X starts but it doesnt go further. The pointer moves if I tap the screen so the Zaurus doesnt hang. If I press ctrl+alt+bs I get back to the terminal.

Or does it maybe take so long for gdm to start (for the first time)?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
There are a whole bunch of dependencies, libbono, libgnomegui & others. Try running gdmsetup, you'll  find out what dependencies you're missing.

Jerry
SL-C3100
Angstrom-GPE
Lexar SD 1 GB
PQI 2GB CF
Ambicom WL1100 CF

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2006, 07:47:44 am »
Thank you. I thought of missing dependencies but gdmflexiserver, gdmphotosetup and gdmsetup where the only commands I didnt test...  and the other do not tell me which dependencies are not available.

gdmsetup really needs some dependencies which I'll install now.

thx!

Edit: I'll post which dependencies are needed for other users to know:
libbonobo, libgnomeui, libbonoboui, libgnome, (lib)gnome-keyring, gnome-vfs, libglade, libgsf, libiconv, librsvg, orbit2

most of them are to be found in the beta1 feed
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:03:05 am by MONVMENTVM »

MONVMENTVM

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 09:20:39 am »
gdmsetup works now as it should but gdm still doesnt start. The same as told before happens. Grey screen as if X would start and mousepointer but nothing more happens.

does gdm have a log or something where I can find what happens during start of gdm?