Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 1865 times)

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
Browsers
« on: May 28, 2006, 07:25:33 pm »
I've said all of this before, in bits and pieces, I suspect.

I use My Z as a portable browser. Sometimes for surfing or looking for info or reading OESF, sometimes to access my  bank account, or secure files at work or remotely from my home server.  I'm still looking for a perfect browser combo, as I'm convinced that a single browser won't do it all with aplomb.

X
For "heavy" multimedia browsing sessions, firefox is perfect.  There is a lot of progress being made on plugins (ATM java, mplayer and some flash stuff can be used) and the software is from a big, live, project upstream.  this is all to the good.  the downside is long load times.  It is noticably long to load in pdaXrom, and very noticably long in XQT.  This causes problems when using it for quick access to web based apps, or as a reference tool.

Dillo and the GPE browser both render nicely and load quickly.   neither connect securely, and can't handle secure web apps.  good for reference, not so good for work or banking, etc..or even email

QTopia
Netfront and opera are both decent solutions for quick loads and secure connections, and javascript capability--good for work or reference, but weak on media compared to firefox.  Konq embedded has some issue with secure connections in my experience, and other limits.   Reputedly the folks working on opie are trying to get a more comprehensive konqueror going for qtopia

Text.
this is just &*(&@@!! ironic. links does ssl, but not javascript. links2 does javascript, but not ssl.  (or was it the other way?)  links 2 has some graphics abilities.

My current solution is to use cacko/pdaxqt with netfront, opera, and firefox under xqt (meanie is still working on the plugins, but I expect they'll be along eventually).  I'd guess OZ users can do about the same with opie/xqt/gpe.

the X systems--  GPE and pdaXrom  still need a lightweight, fast loading, secure browser to compliment firefox, in my opinion.  Any one have any ideas on what might suit, or Is this some kind of personal issue of mine and everyone else is perfectly content?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 07:26:52 pm by adf »
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

stbrock

• View Profile
Browsers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 08:22:12 pm »
My experience is much like adf's but I have an additional semi-solution which some may find helpful. I often keep a minimal VMWare machine at 800x600 running, log into it remotely from wherever on my Z, and use my desktop firefox for the heavy lifting. Low-end broadband is available over cell phone most places these days and you don't have to worry about syncing and working with as many different apps. It isn't free, but the cost may not be that bad, especially if you don't usually use up all your cell phone minutes talking.

Some work improving the speed, reliability, and features of some of the vnc clients or rdesktop is probably a lot easier than trying for firefox features with a dillo footprint. The remote access clients for the Z are good, but better handling of full screen modes, integrated file transfer, etc., would make them better.

adf

• View Profile
Browsers
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 08:40:04 pm »
My experience is much like adf's but I have an additional semi-solution which some may find helpful. I often keep a minimal VMWare machine at 800x600 running, log into it remotely from wherever on my Z, and use my desktop firefox for the heavy lifting. Low-end broadband is available over cell phone most places these days and you don't have to worry about syncing and working with as many different apps. It isn't free, but the cost may not be that bad, especially if you don't usually use up all your cell phone minutes talking.

Some work improving the speed, reliability, and features of some of the vnc clients or rdesktop is probably a lot easier than trying for firefox features with a dillo footprint. The remote access clients for the Z are good, but better handling of full screen modes, integrated file transfer, etc., would make them better.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
hmmm.  Along those lines,i have an ipk of NX for the old openzaurus.  I wonder if it could be hacked up a bit to run on sharp or cacko.or is NX just dead?

I also keep a server runing 24/7. tightvnc tunneled through secure shell is nice. In alaska, though, internet over cell is priced to the point of piracy.  It would be an additional $50 a month for me to add low-end broadband to my phone right now (on top of the 7m down/384 up cable at @60 a month plus cable tv-required- plus 2 cellphone plans).  I have a nice phone with bluetooth and all that I picked up with this in mind...then got the bad news about data transfer rates. It is easier for me to look for hotspots than to pay nearly $600 a year for the cell service (and maybe have to buy a blackberry too!). besides, I have wifi at home, and at work.  even using links/fetchmail/pine, etc... isn't really feasable over the cell here.

I think, though that "firefox features for dillo footprint" isn;' really the limitation.  Opera does it. netfront does it. there was a hacked version 7 of dillo on damnsmall that came pretty close.  what are we really looking at?  a quick load, small memory footprint, the ability to handle ssl and javascript?  

I'm glad to know that the issue is not solely a bit of personal neurosis, though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:42:04 pm by adf »
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
Browsers
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 09:46:24 pm »
I can say i have the luxury of accessing my pc from anywhere and for unlimited data access of 24 bucks a month.  For browsing the net, i use netfront exclusively until i bounce to a site which requires java.  Like bank of america, netfron will not work and works fine under opera.  Also my drugbook hmtl and java base requires opera.  Netfron works semi for html.  Not only that, if you have spaces in a html file, netfront will not work.  I forgot if it was opera or netfront.

Anyway, same goes for my pc, IE works everywhere but when i want to go to a wierd site, i use firefox for security.  In reality, you will never be stuck with just one browser and 2 is usually the case.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Browsers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 10:17:32 pm »
Chero??? sorry this is a side note....

24 bucks a month... what service is this?

bluetooth through cellphone? gprs card? let a brotha know...

back on topic...

has any body tried to go into firefox "admin config" via that localhost:some port???

i cant remember the config right know... i havent thought about it until now... if i can find that info again i will test it out and post...

late

EDIT:   to get to the config.... type

about:config

in the adressbar... i dont know what all is in ther but maybe there is something to speed up the launch times... maybe like disabling pre launch plugin search or pre launch caching??
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:57:38 pm by InSearchOf »
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode