Author Topic: Suspend/resume Mechanisms In Beta3  (Read 2265 times)

daniel3000

• View Profile
    • http://
Suspend/resume Mechanisms In Beta3
« on: October 04, 2006, 03:40:57 pm »
Hello,

I still have that problem that sometimes after a suspend/resume the GUI is not responsive anymore. I don't know for sure but it may indeed have to do with a too short suspend time (i.e. e.g. after pressing OnOff for suspend, and not allowing the Z to suspend fully, then pressing OnOff for resume again).

In order to avoid such situations, and in order to make the suspend/resume more convenient for the user, I'd like to do the following:

Suspend: Instead of switching the backlight off at the BEGINNING fo the suspend process, switch it off at the end, i.e. if the system is really suspended.
In the meantime display a dialog saying "Please wait for suspend".

Resume: Vice versa, i.e. switching on the backlight directly after initiation of resume, then displaying the message "Resuming... Please wait".

That way, the user may have the impression that both processes take longer (because he is even told to wait), but it will avoid misunderstandings due to inactive backlight during suspend and resume and thus may avoid some systems hangs and data loss. That's more important IMHO.

My question:
Where do I have to modify scripts etc?

I have found that the setfl binary sets the backllight.
But the /etc/apm/scripts.d scripts do not contain a single setfl call.

Could anyone who knows more about that  please descibe the suspend / resume process in pdaxrom 1.1.0beta3?

Thanks a lot!
daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

daniel3000

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:11:56 am »
No one?
I thought here are quite some people who know the insides of pdaXrom well.
This would be an important fix IMHO in order to make pdaXrom more user-friendly and intuitive!

daniel
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

miskinis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 09:20:32 am »
Hi,

I use a SL-6000 and beta1, but it seems that if you have a WIFI connection active,
the system will always hang on the resume.  Did you perhaps have an active
WIFI connection, that is just a thought.  I modified a script to always execute
my "wifdown" script when suspending, in case I forget to shutdown WIFI, or
I have one of those mysterious and very infrequent "auto suspends".

I felt I should post this, although I feel a little out of touch using beta1 (the
latest for SL-6000), and I don't know if the suspend/resume stuff has changed
in newer betas.
_John Miskinis_

daniel3000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:49:47 am »
No, a Wifi connection is not the problem.
I often suspend / resume when Wifi is plugged in and connected. Should not be a problem anyway, becasue the suspend / resume scripts du a catdctl eject on suspend and cardctl insert on resume, so WiFi is reinitialized anyway.

I have not found a real pattern yet, but it seems it happens when I

Either 1:
Suspend and resume within a very short time (some seconds)

Or sometimes 2:
Suspend, let it sit for a long time (12 hours) and then resume.
However maybe these occurrences are cuased by me pressing OnOff twice accidentally for suspend, which would effectiely be the same as 1.

Under normal usage (Suspend when finished with some work, resume a few minutes or hours later when continueing) I have no problems, no matter if I have WiFi or other cards such as BT or Flash memory active.

daniel
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:50:15 am by daniel3000 »
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

wowo123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 04:32:32 am »
No, a Wifi connection is not the problem.
I often suspend / resume when Wifi is plugged in and connected. Should not be a problem anyway, becasue the suspend / resume scripts du a catdctl eject on suspend and cardctl insert on resume, so WiFi is reinitialized anyway.

I have not found a real pattern yet, but it seems it happens when I

Either 1:
Suspend and resume within a very short time (some seconds)

Or sometimes 2:
Suspend, let it sit for a long time (12 hours) and then resume.
However maybe these occurrences are cuased by me pressing OnOff twice accidentally for suspend, which would effectiely be the same as 1.

Under normal usage (Suspend when finished with some work, resume a few minutes or hours later when continueing) I have no problems, no matter if I have WiFi or other cards such as BT or Flash memory active.

daniel
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143325\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I experienced the same problems with c3200 and beta3 when suspending for a long time (overnight), BUT ONLY, when using xfce4! With rox-session and rox desktop my suspend/resume (resuming only with Home key) works fine and I can also activate alarms with atd and kdepimpi out of  supending overnight and get a proper resume. So as a (very poor!) workaround I stop xfce before resuming for the night and then resume after rox desktop came up. Unfortunately my knowledge of the suspending/resume process is too poor to track the problem properly.

karlto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 04:33:21 pm »
The SL6000 has built-in wifi, which is why it needs to be stopped and started in the scripts; you're right about the cardctl doing this for you with an external card.

As far as I know/can tell, the backlight control (on suspend/resume) seems to be controlled by the kernel apm module (compiled in), so it would appear to be a lot more difficult to change than just editing a script...

We've seen various reports of similar problems with resume not working when suspending for very short or quite long periods, but I thought all those issues had been fixed. The clock is also another one to watch out for as the power management is of course heavily tied the time.

Interesting note about xfce - I have just not long upgraded to 4.4 over 4.2, and have had some issues with it crashing on resume. I can't pinpoint or reliably reproduce any specific problem yet though.
SL6000-L, RC12