Author Topic: New Zaurus Successor?  (Read 166196 times)

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
    • http://www.pocketnix.org
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2007, 09:36:47 am »
i remeber someone talking about changing the hard driev with a CF card and getting incresed battery life, not sure if it was here or the mailing list but can anyone give me nummbers on how much more battery life they got out of it, should have a 16GB CF card comming in this week and depending how it goes its goiung in the Z or the kohjinsha
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Gemini Order: #95 (roughly)
Current Device: Samsung Chromebook Gen 3
Current Arm Devices Count: ~30
Looking to acquire: Cavium Thunder X2 Hardware

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2007, 10:36:36 am »
i remeber someone talking about changing the hard driev with a CF card and getting incresed battery life, not sure if it was here or the mailing list but can anyone give me nummbers on how much more battery life they got out of it, should have a 16GB CF card comming in this week and depending how it goes its goiung in the Z or the kohjinsha
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'm hoping that SDHC will come to the Z, in which case you could fit a 16GB sdhc card, then with an internal 16GB cf card you've have a pretty mighty Zaurus!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
    • http://
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2007, 02:15:31 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'm hoping that SDHC will come to the Z, in which case you could fit a 16GB sdhc card, then with an internal 16GB cf card you've have a pretty mighty Zaurus!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I don't see how storage alone makes the Z mighty. I think a RAM or CPU upgrade would be necessary to make the Z mightier than it already is for me.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

adf

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #273 on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:46 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I don't see how storage alone makes the Z mighty. I think a RAM or CPU upgrade would be necessary to make the Z mightier than it already is for me.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162339\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
That'd depend entirely on how it is used, I expect. otoh more ram would have been nice
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Snappy

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #274 on: May 31, 2007, 08:12:37 pm »
I don't know how long more I can resist getting one ... I think I might crumble this weekend and just get one. Heck with the keyboard ... I guess it will 'soften' over time?
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

cycle_55

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #275 on: June 01, 2007, 12:15:58 am »
I don't know how long more I can resist getting one ... I think I might crumble this weekend and just get one. Heck with the keyboard ... I guess it will 'soften' over time?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do not fear the keyboard....  There is of course a chance that not all the keyboards are exactly the same and maybe mine is the only one like this. Mine is fine and if it were not, I would ask them to send me another one. The amount of pressure I have to apply to any one key is not that much different than on the C3100. The key travels further than a key on the Z but the amount of pressure is only marginally different. The key has to be pressed dead center otherwise nothing is registered which is what one would want on a small keyboard when touch typing. Pressing off center or two keys at once registers nothing instead of the wrong letter. Other than the Z, this has got to be the most useful laptop I have ever owned. For what it is worth these are my thoughts after using mine everyday for a few months. Good luck.

cycle_55
C3100,  1.1.0beta3, Rox, Ambicom WL100C-CF wireless , Buffalo ethernet

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2007, 03:22:49 am »
it takes awhile to break in and i find having my hands come down from a more vertical postion helps, putting the back up a bit helps to reduce mistakes but for real work i jsut vnc into it or ssh

its not bad but i wouldnt want to use it as my primary keyboard
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Snappy

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2007, 04:29:03 am »
Thanks for the encouragement!  
I'm probably going to retire one of my notebooks and see how it can replace my zaurus.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do not fear the keyboard....  There is of course a chance that not all the keyboards are exactly the same and maybe mine is the only one like this. Mine is fine and if it were not, I would ask them to send me another one. The amount of pressure I have to apply to any one key is not that much different than on the C3100. The key travels further than a key on the Z but the amount of pressure is only marginally different. The key has to be pressed dead center otherwise nothing is registered which is what one would want on a small keyboard when touch typing. Pressing off center or two keys at once registers nothing instead of the wrong letter. Other than the Z, this has got to be the most useful laptop I have ever owned. For what it is worth these are my thoughts after using mine everyday for a few months. Good luck.

cycle_55
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27

kopsis

• View Profile
    • http://kopsisengineering.com
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2007, 06:52:40 am »
The stiffness of the keyboard isn't that hard to get used to. It will soften slightly over time but it will always feel stiff if you come back to it after using a regular laptop KB. The issues I had with it (layout and dropping keys) are both fixable with a small investment of time and money.

But even before I fixed the KB, I used my SA1 every day. The capability and convenience more than outweighs any minor usability flaws
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:53:05 am by kopsis »

Snappy

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #279 on: June 02, 2007, 09:05:14 pm »
I'll tell ya ... this is one hell of a gadget!

Left it in suspend mode after fully recharging it ... it dropped only 10% batt after five hours of suspend ... *grin*

Will have to try 12 hours suspend to see if it survive.

The keyboard on the unit I got turn out to be softer than the demo unit. woo hoo ...

btw, besides getting Portrait Pivot Pro to rotate the screen display, does anyone know how to activate the screen rotation? I'm referring to rotating the visual display to show portrait and landscape mode and not transforming the unit from clamshell to tablet.

I see from the graphics display properties (AMD Geode) that there is such a function, but is grayed out. I've signed up with AMD as an embedded developer to get the latest graphics drivers. Wonder if it will help.

Ideas?
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)

Collie (Sandbox)

cycle_55

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2007, 09:59:43 pm »

Left it in suspend mode after fully recharging it ... it dropped only 10% batt after five hours of suspend ... *grin*

The keyboard on the unit I got turn out to be softer than the demo unit. woo hoo ...

btw, besides getting Portrait Pivot Pro to rotate the screen display, does anyone know how to activate the screen rotation? I'm referring to rotating the visual display to show portrait and landscape mode and not transforming the unit from clamshell to tablet.

I see from the graphics display properties (AMD Geode) that there is such a function, but is grayed out. I've signed up with AMD as an embedded developer to get the latest graphics drivers. Wonder if it will help.

Ideas?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Glad you like it....I hardly ever turn mine off, I just always have it on standby.

cycle_55
C3100,  1.1.0beta3, Rox, Ambicom WL100C-CF wireless , Buffalo ethernet

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2007, 10:53:04 pm »
I used to run linux in standby on teh thing till i had the drive resume problems, but do you guys get a ranbow effect show up on the screen for about 2 or 3 seconds on resume?

just wondering if the resume behavior between linux and windows is the same

btw suspend to disk works great still, its only suspend to ram. and unfortunattly i never got suspend to disk and ram working at the same time so taht if the battery does run out you can suspend from the drive
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

dougeeebear

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2007, 07:51:34 am »
I can see where it would use battery on standby, but not on hibernate, although mine seems like it might be doing that.
I'm running the original Windows XP on it.
I haven't had time to try Linux on it yet.

Also try this...
- Set the screen brightness at a setting lower than full brightness.
- Turn the unit off.
- Remove and replace the battery.
- Turn the unit back on.

What is the brightness setting now?
On mine, it always goes to full brightness.
This tells me the battery is used to maintain the brightness setting when turned off.
I wonder what else drains the battery that we're not aware of.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:47:52 am by dougeeebear »
Zaurus SL-C1000 and SL-5500
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

kopsis

• View Profile
    • http://kopsisengineering.com
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #283 on: June 03, 2007, 10:21:13 am »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It should ... mine's gone 48 hours on suspend (though that was before I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB). The only time my SA1 gets turned off is disassembly and air travel

Snappy

• View Profile
New Zaurus Successor?
« Reply #284 on: June 03, 2007, 12:22:41 pm »

Ideas?

Glad you like it....I hardly ever turn mine off, I just always have it on standby.

cycle_55
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well ... I left it for a further 12 hours of suspend and it has 56% of batt ...
This is excellent news!
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)

Collie (Sandbox)