Author Topic: general 860 ??\'s  (Read 1632 times)

Anonymous

general 860 ??\'s
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:34:27 pm »
Hi gurus..

I am an AIX dude by trade and decided to step into the Z linux arena.  I went all out and picked up the 860 and have now come across my 1st hurdle.   I read that I can connect my Z via USB to my system and it should show up as a hard drive... Being as how all the docs are in Japanese, trying to decipher things has become a chore.   I am able to get the included intellisync working vi USB I/O, but not thru IP.  Are there some services that I will need to turn on manually?   When I connect, my ifconfig shows a udbd0 device with the appropriate IP address that I assigned it in the /etc/hotplug/usbdnet.conf file.  

1. Do I need to get USB/IP setup for the Z to show up as a hard drive?
2. I am new to all this ROM terminology?   What exactly is it and if I decide to try another ROM, what will I see differently?

TIA guys for all the assistance.

vanstrien

• View Profile
    • http://www.vanstrien.net
general 860 ??\'s
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 03:03:50 pm »
This should be done with your USB cable unplugged.

Go to Settings and select PC Link.  Set your connection to \"USB - I/O\".  Set the Mode Setting to Storage.

That\'s it. Hit OK, and plug in your USB cord.
C860 Cacko ROM | 5500 tkcROM
256MB SD | 128MB SD
512MB CF | 256MB CF
D-Link DWL 660 WiFi| Linksys WCF12 WiFi
Socket Bluetooth | Socket Ethernet

Anonymous

general 860 ??\'s
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 03:11:30 pm »
I didn\'t even think about that... thanks..

another quick question,   I come from a PALM PDA background and used to a \"install manager\" application to move stuff into the pda.   If I set up the Z as storage, is that how I move \"stuff\" (mp3\'s, movies, files, *.ipk) into it or is there an application that I crank up to move files?  Ideally, if I can get the USB/IP piece set up, I can FTP to it.

sorry for the goofy questions but I am scouring ZUG and anything else that pops up on google concerning the 860 for answers and coming up blank.

thanks again,

James

thanks again...

realistic_dragon

• View Profile
general 860 ??\'s
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 03:19:41 pm »
If you set up USB networking you can then use whatever services you have available on the Zaurus/Desktop.

I have the Cacko ROM installed (but you can install the packages on the Sharp ROM) and use SSH/SFTP/SCP to move stuff around over USB and WiFi.

Still, I think the USB mass storage is probably the simplest method and the one I will be using 99% of the time now I upgraded to a rom that supports it )
C750 with Cacko rom, 256mb SD card
Sitecom WL-015 CF WiFi and Aircable Bluetooth (6310i)