Author Topic: Can't Start Gpe/x11  (Read 4589 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can't Start Gpe/x11
« on: June 02, 2007, 03:34:15 pm »
So, clean install of the Spitz version onto C3100.

This version only comes with console, so installed practically every GPE package there is. Rebooted. no GUI programs will run as no window manager, window manager won't start because X11 doesn't appear to run. I would have expected to be able to run init.d/gpe-dm and have it all kick into life.

Any clues?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

XorA

• View Profile
    • http://
Can't Start Gpe/x11
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:19:10 am »
ipkg install angstrom-x11-base-depends angstrom-gpe-task-base angstrom-gpe-task-settings angstrom-gpe-task-pim angstrom-gpe-task-apps

as thats what the image building does anyway.

BTW if ipkg upgrade works in Angstrom so if you dont have an x11 image in latest snapshot then just get an older one and upgrade to latest. I personally havent reflashed my spitz in over 6 months and its all running stable.
--
SL-C860 XorABuild/GPE
Sandisk Connect Plus SD/1GMB CF/512M
BT PCMCIA

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can't Start Gpe/x11
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:19:51 pm »
ipkg install angstrom-x11-base-depends angstrom-gpe-task-base angstrom-gpe-task-settings angstrom-gpe-task-pim angstrom-gpe-task-apps

as thats what the image building does anyway.

BTW if ipkg upgrade works in Angstrom so if you dont have an x11 image in latest snapshot then just get an older one and upgrade to latest. I personally havent reflashed my spitz in over 6 months and its all running stable.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162527\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

thanks, I'm pretty sure I installed all of those packages.

anyway, I went to a mix of the latest zimage and the slightly older x11 hdimage.tgz and GPE is now up and running!

I presume the only reason to reflash/reinstall would be to upgrade the kernel? how would I upgrade the kernel without total reinstall?

thanks
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

XorA

• View Profile
    • http://
Can't Start Gpe/x11
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:31:26 am »
I presume the only reason to reflash/reinstall would be to upgrade the kernel? how would I upgrade the kernel without total reinstall?

thanks
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Place only zImage.bin and updater.sh on the CD/SD card and only the kernel will be written.

so basically ipkg upgrade to do kernel modules, reboot and reflash kernel, reboot and all should work.
--
SL-C860 XorABuild/GPE
Sandisk Connect Plus SD/1GMB CF/512M
BT PCMCIA

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can't Start Gpe/x11
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 05:30:08 pm »
thanks for that top tip!