Author Topic: Installing Software On 4gb Sd Card  (Read 4096 times)

tml

• View Profile
Installing Software On 4gb Sd Card
« on: February 10, 2007, 03:21:05 pm »
Hi,

I recently got a 4gb sd card to work with my c3100. I then copied over all the files from my old sd card. So far so good. But now I realized that I can't install software to the new sd card. Whenever I try to use the "add/remove software" dialog I get an "out of disk space" error (it seems they didn't expect a card that big). When I try to install the software from the command line via ipkg the files are copied to /mnt/card/opt/QtPalmtop while the dialog installed them in /mnt/card/QtPalmtop. So this doesn't work either.

Does somebody have an idea of how to make the "add/remove software" dialog work with the 4gb card? Or does somebody know how to use ipkg in a way compatible with this dialog?

BTW the card is only used up to 21% for the moment. So the "no room left" error is simply wrong.

I use standard stock rom with tetsu kernel and some updated sd drivers.

Regards,
Thomas.
SL-C3100

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 06:53:16 pm »
Hi,

I recently got a 4gb sd card to work with my c3100. I then copied over all the files from my old sd card. So far so good. But now I realized that I can't install software to the new sd card. Whenever I try to use the "add/remove software" dialog I get an "out of disk space" error (it seems they didn't expect a card that big). When I try to install the software from the command line via ipkg the files are copied to /mnt/card/opt/QtPalmtop while the dialog installed them in /mnt/card/QtPalmtop. So this doesn't work either.

Does somebody have an idea of how to make the "add/remove software" dialog work with the 4gb card? Or does somebody know how to use ipkg in a way compatible with this dialog?

BTW the card is only used up to 21% for the moment. So the "no room left" error is simply wrong.

I use standard stock rom with tetsu kernel and some updated sd drivers.

Regards,
Thomas.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153727\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you could install my ipktools package and use xipk from the command line to install to the SD card. It installs the same way the GUI installer does with the same links, etc...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

tml

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 10:24:21 am »
you could install my ipktools package and use xipk from the command line to install to the SD card. It installs the same way the GUI installer does with the same links, etc...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks a lot for the tip. This works like stow/graft and similar tools it seems. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work equally well with all packages.

I also tried to create two partitions but stumbled over incompatibilities with my notebook. So I thought I could create an ext2 formatted loop device and somehow mount that as sd card and use the vfat32 formatted single partition of the sd card for exchanging documents with windows.

How do I trick the desktop into taking the loop device as normal sd card? The sd card is accessible under several mount points, which one of these is the actual one? Has somebody already succeeded with such a setup?
SL-C3100

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 03:41:17 pm »
I also tried to create two partitions but stumbled over incompatibilities with my notebook. So I thought I could create an ext2 formatted loop device and somehow mount that as sd card and use the vfat32 formatted single partition of the sd card for exchanging documents with windows.

How do I trick the desktop into taking the loop device as normal sd card? The sd card is accessible under several mount points, which one of these is the actual one? Has somebody already succeeded with such a setup?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

erm, I struggle to understand what you want, surely when Z is in mass storage mode it allows the attached computer to see its file stores and if they're fat16 or fat32 formatted then windows can store files there? Where does ext2 come into it?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

tml

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:46:51 am »
erm, I struggle to understand what you want, surely when Z is in mass storage mode it allows the attached computer to see its file stores and if they're fat16 or fat32 formatted then windows can store files there? Where does ext2 come into it?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Okay, I usually sync the sd card (eject it from the Z, put it into the laptop and back again) and don't use the Z in mass storage mode. I then use unison to keep the files in sync.

Problems:
# I'd prefer to format the sd card in ext2 in order to circumvent problems with installing packages that need to create symlinks which the Z can't do on vfat formatted partitions

# I cannot format the card with ext2 because my windows laptop doesn't know how to deal with it (all the ext2 drivers available seem to cause problems somehow)

# When I create one big vfat partition, the Z installer complains about no room left (probably an overflow error in their arithmetic or using signed instead of unsigned or whatever)

Solutions:
# Use command line ipkg. But this seems to be incompatible with the desktop when installing a package not to the main memory but to the sd/cf card.

# Use meanie's xipk. Backthrow: this works with linking all files to the builtin memory which is not quite what I want.

# Create 2 partitions (one in ext2 and one in vfat). But then I can't use the card in my notebook due to some ... well, it simply doesn't work.

# Create a loop device (ext2 formatted) that the Z sees as sd card, mount the actual sd card someplace else. Just how?

# Use the Z in mass storage mode ... but there was a reason why I stopped doing this. Speed or rather lack of? Syncing a 4gb card at usb1.1 speed with unison takes some time. I don't sync that often but it still takes too long.
SL-C3100

tml

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 12:57:10 am »
# When I create one big vfat partition, the Z installer complains about no room left
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

And I really don't quite understand this error in the first place. Installing to a 6gb cf card worked fine. The sd volume is correctly displayed by the df command. The Z can write on the SD card. So maybe something else is causing this.
SL-C3100

tml

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:58:57 am »
Okay. It seems to work again. I don't understand why I wasn't able for two weeks now to install ipkgs to the sd card and why it works now, but it does and I'm willing to accept it the way it is. (Could it be that a bad version of some ipkg tools was causing this? Whatever.)

I still would like to have this ext2 formatted loop device mounted as sd card though. So, help with that is still welcome.
SL-C3100

portalgod

• View Profile
    • http://www.rajeshprakash.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 04:17:16 pm »
I also had the exact same problem in Cacko and I couldn't figure out why my 4GB card (formatted as ANYTHING) was reported as "full" when using the GUI package manager.

I did end up using ipkg from the command line and ipkg-link'ing the packages later.

Couldn't figger it out.

I've got me a 4GB Transcend 150x (I know it's not really xfer'ing at 150x hehehe) card.
SL-C1000 w/pdaXii13 Akita (base) + select apps
4GB Transcend 150x SD, 4GB Transcend 120x CF
Planex gw-cf11x CF Wi-Fi, Buffalo CF LAN
UT-41 USB GPS
Misc other SD and CF cards

tml

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:09:32 am »
I did end up using ipkg from the command line and ipkg-link'ing the packages later.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I have a Transcend 4gb 150x too. The funny thing is that the problem is gone now. The only thing I changed was install xipk and reboot (due to an unrelated problem). It's still one big vfat32 partition but it works fine with all computers including the Z.
SL-C3100

portalgod

• View Profile
    • http://www.rajeshprakash.com
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 06:02:07 pm »
Maybe I need to install the xipk pkg and that'll "fix" my issue.    Sometimes also even thought I ipkg-link the newly installed ipk, installing something that depends on the new ipk complains that the dependency isn't installed.

If I reboot, normally it corrects that.

It's a pain, but I've learned to live with it since I'm too lazy to do anything about it
SL-C1000 w/pdaXii13 Akita (base) + select apps
4GB Transcend 150x SD, 4GB Transcend 120x CF
Planex gw-cf11x CF Wi-Fi, Buffalo CF LAN
UT-41 USB GPS
Misc other SD and CF cards