Author Topic: Virtual Screen, Matchbox, Task List  (Read 3408 times)

BerndS

• View Profile
Virtual Screen, Matchbox, Task List
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:12:12 pm »
Hi,

some questions regarding Virtual Screens in pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3:

- How can I configure the panel to be displayed on every virtual screen?

Now the panel is only displayed on the first virtual screen.

- How can I configure the task applet to list all running applications on all virtual screens?

Now the task applet only shows the applications on the first virtual screen.
Also switching between the applications with ALT-TAB only switches between the applications on the current virtual screen.

- How can I configure the order of the virtual screens?

I've configured 8 virtual screens right now and they are orderered

1  2  3  4
5  6  7  8

I would like them to be ordered in one row:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The reason for this is:

Now I must use 4 keys to switch between the Virtual Screens:

Super-<right>, Super-<left>, Super-<up>, and Super-<down>

If the Virtual screens are only in one row I need only two keys to switch between the Virtual Screens (Super-<right> and Super-<left>) and can use Super-<up> aund Super-<down> again for switching between the applications.

Before I installed the version 1.0.2 of the mb-applet-task the order of the Virtual Screens was okay (one row only).

I'm using OpenBox (X Server), rox (Window Manager), and matchbox (Panel)

root@/mnt/ide3/new/pager> ipkg status openbox
Package: openbox
Root: /
Version: 3.3-rc2-1

root@/mnt/ide3/new/pager> ipkg status mb-applet-tasks
Package: mb-applet-tasks
Version: 1.0.2

root@/mnt/ide3/new/pager> ipkg status matchbox-panel
Package: matchbox-panel
Version: 0.9.1-1

regards

Bernd

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 01:14:27 am »
Hi,

some questions regarding Virtual Screens in pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3:

- How can I configure the task applet to list all running applications on all virtual screens?

Now the task applet only shows the applications on the first virtual screen.
Also switching between the applications with ALT-TAB only switches between the applications on the current virtual screen.

- How can I configure the order of the virtual screens?

I've configured 8 virtual screens right now and they are orderered

1  2  3  4
5  6  7  8

I would like them to be ordered in one row:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The reason for this is:

Now I must use 4 keys to switch between the Virtual Screens:

Super-<right>, Super-<left>, Super-<up>, and Super-<down>

If the Virtual screens are only in one row I need only two keys to switch between the Virtual Screens (Super-<right> and Super-<left>) and can use Super-<up> aund Super-<down> again for switching between the applications.

Before I installed the version 1.0.2 of the mb-applet-task the order of the Virtual Screens was okay (one row only).

I'm using OpenBox (X Server), rox (Window Manager), and matchbox (Panel)

root@/mnt/ide3/new/pager> ipkg status openbox
Package: openbox
Version: 3.3-rc2-1

root@/mnt/ide3/new/pager> ipkg status mb-applet-tasks
Package: mb-applet-tasks
Version: 1.0.2

root@/mnt/ide3/new/pager> ipkg status matchbox-panel
Package: matchbox-panel
Version: 0.9.1-1

regards

Bernd
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you will probably have to rewrite those apps to do what you want...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

BerndS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:34:07 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158573\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Is this a general problem or only a feature of matchbox and other panels behave different?

Bernd

Drake01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:55:18 pm »
Hi,

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158573\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Even the panel needs to be rewritten?  Isn't there a window option to make the window "sticky"?

I'm running AfterStep on my desktop and I know it supports sticky windows.  I thought this was common for X window managers?  Of course, now that I'm looking, I can't find anything that explicitly lists this when I use xwininfo.  Would this be "Window Gravity State," perhaps?
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 02:52:15 am »
Hi,

Even the panel needs to be rewritten?  Isn't there a window option to make the window "sticky"?

I'm running AfterStep on my desktop and I know it supports sticky windows.  I thought this was common for X window managers?  Of course, now that I'm looking, I can't find anything that explicitly lists this when I use xwininfo.  Would this be "Window Gravity State," perhaps?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

fluxbox has an option called Sticky to make sure the windows are seen on all virtual desktops. on openbox, there is an icon at the top left hand corner which has an option "Send to desktop" --> All desktops
this setting is per application whereas in fluxbox, you can make the Sticky windows options global or per application...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 09:35:01 pm »
In r198 (and other 2.6.x betas) the panel is present on all desktops.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

BerndS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 03:01:07 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

But the 2.6.x betas still use OpenBox and Matchbox?

If yes, I wonder what's different in these versions. Did anybody improve Matchbox or OpenBox or is only the configuration changed?

Or can I use OpenBox and MatchBox from the 2.6.x betas on 2.4.er Kernel?

regards

Bernd

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:13:15 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

But the 2.6.x betas still use OpenBox and Matchbox?

If yes, I wonder what's different in these versions. Did anybody improve Matchbox or OpenBox or is only the configuration changed?

Or can I use OpenBox and MatchBox from the 2.6.x betas on 2.4.er Kernel?

regards

Bernd
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

i doubt that anything has changed in that regard. icewm is the new favourite window manager and it does handle virtual desktops much more efficiently than openbox/matchbox

matchbox-panel does not have the concept of being spread across several virtual desktops, rather it needs an instance running in each virtual desktop. this means it will waste more memory, but you can have different applets in each virtual desktop...

multi-panel allows you to create additional panels for each virtual desktop. autoexec automatically loads 4 panels by default....