Author Topic: Angstrom Manual  (Read 14016 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« on: May 10, 2007, 04:39:16 pm »
Is there any chance of some volunteers looking over my attempts at starting a manual for Angstrom

http://linuxtogo.org/gowiki/AngstromManual

I'd like to note that the Angstrom wiki is much better than the old OZ one, much more responsive!

If you don't feel like adding to it, feel free to post comments here and I will add them... as well as corrections, any ideas for sections and features welcomed.

At the moment I'm trying to achieve a broad brush to get some structure in place before adding *too* much technical detail; quite often there are external resources much better than anything I'd write, and what I'm trying to do is to capture what makes Angstrom different from generic linuxes.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 05:08:36 pm »
That wiki does seem to forget that the zauri are only a small portion of the machines angstrom supports.

see http://linuxtogo.org/gowiki/AngstromManual?action=info
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:49:29 am »
That wiki does seem to forget that the zauri are only a small portion of the machines angstrom supports.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I only know about zauruses

great question... the rule is that the person who asks the question gets to fix the documentation, remember?

I look forward to your additions & corrections!!!

Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

koen

• View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 04:21:00 am »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I only know about zauruses

great question... the rule is that the person who asks the question gets to fix the documentation, remember?

I look forward to your additions & corrections!!!

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I didn't ask a question, I stated a fact. And if you would have actually looked that the link I posted.....
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 07:45:00 am »
I didn't ask a question, I stated a fact.

a mere technicality.  

And if you would have actually looked that the link I posted.....
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161030\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I did... it didn't provide any non-zaurus info to be added.

BTW I did follow suggestions by other A'n person to remove some off-topic stuff about bluetooth and the z in particular.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 07:45:22 am by speculatrix »

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:21:04 am »
For those that are interested in the list:
Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 (Collie)
Sharp Zaurus SL-5600 (Poodle)
Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (Tosa)
Sharp Zaurus SL-C7x0 (Corgi, Boxer, Husky, Shepherd)
Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 (Akita)
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3xxx (Spitz, Borzoi, Terrier)
iPAQ h2200
iPAQ h4000
iPAQ hx4700
iPAQ h5000
Nokia 770 internet tablet
HTC universal/ iMate jasjar
Motorola A780
Psion Teklogix NetBook Pro

Do you know how the testing on the HTC is going, koen?
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

koen

• View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 10:55:41 am »
iPAQ h2200
iPAQ h4000
iPAQ hx4700
iPAQ h5000
Motorola A780

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161065\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That missing (from the top of my head):

* ep9xx devboards (armv4t)
* i.mx21 devboard (armv5te)
* i.mx31 devboard (armv6)
* Genesi Efika (ppc604e)
* Progear webpad (i686)
* siemens simpad (armv4)
* gateworks avila (armv5teb)
* linksys nslu2 (armv5teb)
* ipaq h3600 (armv4)
* ipaq h3900 (armv5te)
* FIC neo1973 (armv4t)
* omap5912 OSK

and probably some more
Ångström release team
My blog

koen

• View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 10:58:34 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161065\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I always call the HTC hackers 'The knights who say NIH', so I won't expect anything soon, since they are hell-bent on reinventing the wheel over and over again.
Ångström release team
My blog

hakujin

• View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 01:09:00 am »
Quote from: Antikx
iPAQ h2200
iPAQ h4000
iPAQ hx4700
iPAQ h5000
Motorola A780

I don't think you can say that Angstrom supports th hx4700. Yeah it installs and runs but half the programs don't work (package manager crashes all the time and takes panel buttons with it). As far as I can tell there is no way to install root to CF or SD, and you can't install apps to either (no ipkg-link). There is no documentation about it in the wiki or the manual and from what I read trying to docs from other ipaqs is likely to lead to trouble. If you even suggest posting a work around to the wiki you get blasted cuz you didn't know ( not documented anywhere ) that the fix you came up with has been  banned by  the developers. All in all this distro on the ipaq is not ready for users. Alpha testers maybe but definitely not users.
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 04:31:05 pm »
*bump*

a lot of work has been done on the manual, so do please consider taking the time to read it and then consider whether you're more willing to give Angstrom a try... and consider join the user's mailing list and also perhaps contributing to the wiki?

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:53:48 pm »
Thanks, it is very helpful.  (I happen to have a SL-6000, BTW)  I appreciate how easy it's been to get usb0 running from the guide (and I needed the RNDIS driver.)

One thing that I would like to see (and I'd add it myself, but I don't yet know) is what the "relevant packages" to install GPE from a console image are.

-AeroSigma
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel

xjqian

• View Profile
    • http://
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 03:29:19 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
a lot of work has been done on the manual, so do please consider taking the time to read it and then consider whether you're more willing to give Angstrom a try... and consider join the user's mailing list and also perhaps contributing to the wiki?
Great work. Since Paul will be gone for a while. There is only a handful of knowledge people that can provide in-depth answer.

btw. I strongly feel a Zaurus interest subgroup under Angstrom is a good idea.
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

xjqian

• View Profile
    • http://
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 03:41:09 am »
Quote from: AeroSigma
One thing that I would like to see (and I'd add it myself, but I don't yet know) is what the "relevant packages" to install GPE from a console image are.
Please refer to Angstrom Manual section 6.3 Installing GPE onto Console Image
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:01:08 am by xjqian »
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Manual
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:40 am »
I see it.  Although it says "install the relevant packages" in the image section, there's a list of that conversion at the very bottom of the manual.  Thanks.
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel