Author Topic: Modem Problem  (Read 10412 times)

mfbrown

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:41:09 pm »
Hello all,
Can anyone help me to get the CF modem with the longest name in the world (Pretec FB CFVFM-5614RD) to work with 860?  I saw in a previous post that it will work, but I have no idea how.  Does it need a driver, or just an initialisation string?  I'm using Cacko 1.23 at the moment, but keen to try pdaX as well.
Thanks,
Mark

jfv

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »
Have you created a dial-up network in the networks?
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

mfbrown

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:49:56 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Hi thanks - yes, I tried to, but when asking it to dial, the system hangs and I have to reboot.  The card is recognised as "serial or modem", but not by name.  Is the modem faulty?  They're usually pretty reliable, I thought.
Mark

jfv

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 01:00:30 pm »
I've never had a problem with my modem, so I can't really help other than pointing out the obvious. Which ROM are you using?
Too many accessories...

daniel3000

• View Profile
    • http://
Modem Problem
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 04:06:43 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Hi thanks - yes, I tried to, but when asking it to dial, the system hangs and I have to reboot.  The card is recognised as "serial or modem", but not by name.  Is the modem faulty?  They're usually pretty reliable, I thought.
Mark
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

"dmesg" on the console, directly after plugging in the modem, might bring up some info about what's wrong.
At least you will see there as which device the modem will be usable (usually /dev/ttyS0).
I don't remember Cacko too well, but I guess there's a setting somewhere where you can set the device name for the modem.

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

mfbrown

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 03:32:51 pm »
Mark
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

"dmesg" on the console, directly after plugging in the modem, might bring up some info about what's wrong.
At least you will see there as which device the modem will be usable (usually /dev/ttyS0).
I don't remember Cacko too well, but I guess there's a setting somewhere where you can set the device name for the modem.

daniel

Thanks Daniel,
Didn't know that command, so that's progress!  It gives (extra to what it gives without modem)  A "division by zero in kernel" message and a load of "Function entered at ... from ... " messages.
I've looked in the System info at Devices, and it is recognised as:

Socket 0: serial or modem  (yellow triangle exclamation mark)
"PRETEC", "CompactModem 3.3V 56K", "021", "A"
manfid: 0x0013
function: 2 (serial)
Vcc 0.0V Vpp1 0.0V Vpp2 0.0V
3.3V 16-bit PC Card (suspended)

I guess the "suspended" part is the problem!

Any more help very welcome and many thanks

Mark

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 03:43:51 pm »
use dmesg or "tail -30 /var/log/messages" [need to be root], and ensure there's a soft link thus

cd /dev
ls -la modem
~~~ if no file found then
ln -s ttyS4 modem
~~~ if file found, verify it points to the correct ttyS;delete if necessary and replace using "ln -s" above

or similar?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

daniel3000

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 04:08:36 pm »
the division by zero thing sounds as if the driver is not successfully loaded at all, so the modem cannot work, even if the correct device is used.

I remember that I had similar problems (although not with the exact error messages) with a Pretec (HP-labeled) CF modem under Cacko.
I never could solve them, but under pdaXrom that modem works flawlessly now.

Sorry, I can't be of more help here.

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 04:19:27 pm »
are you trying "cardctl resume" before trying to use the modem?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

mfbrown

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 07:13:18 am »
Thanks everyone for all help.  I've tried all of those suggestions, and not getting anywhere - possibly because I'm not familiar enough with Linux yet.  I think I'll try pdaXrom as per suggestion and see how we get on.  Alternatively, anyone got advice on modem cards which are idiot-proof under Cacko for idiots like me?
Thanks,
Mark

Jon_J

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 10:52:09 am »
I used the Ambicom "EZjack" CF modem when I had a dialup account a year and half ago.
I bought it at Staples, but don't know if they still carry this anymore.
In Cacko, it worked out of the box, after filling in some network info in the network settings app.

Pic (Ambicom EZJack V.90 56K CF 56k [CF56M-EZ]-2.jpg)
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

jfv

• View Profile
Modem Problem
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 12:18:14 pm »
Mine is a socket CF modem and worked out of the box, after filling in some network info in the network settings. Sharp ROM.
Too many accessories...