Author Topic: 5600 Pc Sync Questions  (Read 4920 times)

jackschmidt

• View Profile
5600 Pc Sync Questions
« on: July 30, 2007, 08:04:38 pm »
Hi all,

I've been thinking of getting a device to sync my sl-5600 to a desktop computer for some time and while I have not exactly decided yet on whether to get one, I thought I'd want a question answered.

If you're wondering why I don't have the docking station, the sl-5600 I have is a gift which basically came in with the Zaurus (currently running Watapon 1.6.1), a make-shift charger, wireless CF card and a 64 mb sd card.

Anyway, here's my question:

I'm planning on a new desktop and I know Windows is mostly out of the question for my new box.

My choices are: Linux (any flavour, most likely Ubuntu), Mac OSX (and an iMac, probably), or perhaps FreeBSD.

What I'd like to know is that with this, which platform would I have the best chance of doing a pc sync?  I'm extremely unfamiliar with PC sync with a Zaurus so I'm interested in listening to what info anyone can provide.  I also keep reading about the Qtopia desktop being able to sync or what not, but it's not very clear to me.

Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:06:32 pm by jackschmidt »
Sharp Zaurus SL-5600 Poodle
Sharp ROM 1.32

jocasmi

• View Profile
    • http://
5600 Pc Sync Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:58:56 am »
I´ve been trying to sync my sl5500 to my Debian PC with 2.6.18 kernel. I finally used samba because of my lack of time to set up another method.

So I just copied the files I needed from Kdepimpi and other applications.

It seems that this kernel has some kind of trouble to set up USB hotplug so it needs some tweak.

I also used the USB feature in a windows xp machine with ext2 driver installed, and I´ve been able to acces all zaurus directories.

I´m using TKompany rom with home on SD.

Cheers.
SL-C3200 Sharp Rom, Meanie's X/QT and Pocket Workstation
Wifi Linksys WCF12, SD 1GB Kingston (Ellite Pro)

SL-5500S Cacko Crow 30/30 home on SD
SD 1GB Kingston (the good one)
CF 1GB Kingston

Juanjo Santiso
Barcelona
EU

jackschmidt

• View Profile
5600 Pc Sync Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:00:01 pm »
Thanks for the input.  Could you tell me more of what you did and does that mean that the usb docking station could be used as an interface for samba to access the Zaurus or did you just connect via network?
Sharp Zaurus SL-5600 Poodle
Sharp ROM 1.32