Author Topic: Debian On C3xxx (merged Topics)  (Read 102655 times)

ZDevil

• View Profile
    • http://
Debian On C3xxx (merged Topics)
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:21 am »
I. Locale setting:

#1 Run "apt-get install locales"

#2 Make sure the locale settings are the same in /etc/environment and /etc/default/locale
nano /etc/environment
Code: [Select]
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE="en_US:en"
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
nano /etc/default/locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
#3  Reset locale
nano /etc/locale.gen

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8#4 Run "locale-gen"

II. dpkg installation
Try downloading a copy of the dpkg package and install it locally (dpkg -i PACKAGE.DEB)

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2008, 12:05:03 am »
Quote from: ZDevil
I. Locale setting:

#1 Run "apt-get install locales"

#2 Make sure the locale settings are the same in /etc/environment and /etc/default/locale
nano /etc/environment
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
nano /etc/default/locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
#3  Reset locale
nano /etc/locale.gen

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8#4 Run "locale-gen"

II. dpkg installation
Try downloading a copy of the dpkg package and install it locally (dpkg -i PACKAGE.DEB)

THANKS for your help, ZDevil!

Managed to do your instructions for the locales...think that's OK now...

However, having problem connecting to internet again as well as other error messages now....
eth0: invalid skb->cb magic (0x00000000) expected (0xf00a36a2)
wlan0_rename: no IPv6 routers present
eth0: LinkStatus=2 (disconnected0
eth0: LinkStatus: BSSID=00:12:0e:7c:6e:98
eth0: LinkStatus=1 (connected)
ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

Then it gets even worse now...this is what happens no matter what command I type in:
#ifconfig -a
bash: /sbin/ifconfig: No such file or directory

Any suggestions now???

Did I make a big mistake 'upgrading to Lenny' ????

Thanks!

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2008, 02:21:53 pm »
 Would you try the command lsmod and see if you have two sets of wifi card modules loading? If you do, try adding one set of modules to your blacklist file. Reboot and see what happens. HTH

You might trawl through some of the wifi/networking threads in this section: the answer might be there in detail.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:23:01 pm by tux »
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

jocasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2008, 06:10:59 pm »
Hi Zdevil, thanks for your answer and explanations
I actually have Sharp on NAND, with home on hdd5, and OpenBSD in hdd3.
I'll keep reading the news in order to install, whenever possible, Debian on SD first.

I haven't much time now, and I don't want to risk my accurate whole system.

So, I'll try to stay tuned.

Thanks for all your efforts in your search for the right solution.

Greets.
SL-C3200 Sharp Rom, Meanie's X/QT and Pocket Workstation
Wifi Linksys WCF12, SD 1GB Kingston (Ellite Pro)

SL-5500S Cacko Crow 30/30 home on SD
SD 1GB Kingston (the good one)
CF 1GB Kingston

Juanjo Santiso
Barcelona
EU

ZDevil

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2008, 07:01:50 pm »
Sorry for getting off-topic, but you are the right person to ask here

How do you set up /home of Sharp ROM (just symlinking)?

Does OpenBSD have SD write support now? A few ago I tried to set up OpenBSD 4.3 (snapshot) on SD but the game was stopped by I/O error when trying to repartition the SD. And the OBSD installer magically (and silently) removed the journal in Debian's partition and as a result Debian refused to boot. I had to get into the [D+B] mode and smuggled a tune2fs there to create journaling on Debian's partition again.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:59:49 am by ZDevil »

My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 28, 2008, 11:05:25 pm »
Quote from: tux
Would you try the command lsmod and see if you have two sets of wifi card modules loading? If you do, try adding one set of modules to your blacklist file. Reboot and see what happens. HTH

You might trawl through some of the wifi/networking threads in this section: the answer might be there in detail.

Thanks for your help, Tux....but I finally gave up on this install and now I'm trying to install eabi....

But I think I know what I did wrong... I did cardctl eject and now I realize that this is a very bad thing to do as it not only ejects card that is inserted in CF slot, but it also 'ejects' the internal HD, which is why I got the error messages when I tried to do a command at the prompt....

But if I can't get eabi installed, then I'll do a fresh Titchy install as it was working OK, before I upgraded to Lenny....

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

ZDevil

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2008, 03:45:53 am »
Yes, be very careful when using "cardctl/pccardctl eject"!  If you just run this command without specifying the slot then BOTH the wifi card AND the internal disk will be ejected!

But actually it doesn't do any serious damage, except that during the next reboot the system will complain about /dev/hda1 not being unmounted properly and force to run fsck to check disk integrity, which may fail at some point and you need to enter the root password and run "fsck" without any option manually to fix the situation (answer "y" to the questions during the checking).

By default, the internal disk is in slot 0 and and the wifi card is in slot 1.

To use it properly and to eject the wifi card safely:
In titchy:
cardctl eject 1
In EABI:
pccardctl eject 1
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:46:11 am by ZDevil »

jocasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2008, 02:27:41 pm »
@Zdevil: I've just moved and symlink some home and /home/QtPalmtop directories, and also linked in hd the /hdx/opt/QtPalmtop and /hdx/opt/Qtopia, which are created when installing some applications, to /hdx/home/QtPalmtop.

In this way I free some memory, and then I use Meanies xipk way that relinks almost everything automatically. The system goes well, but some few apps complains after being installed with xipk.

I haven't tried to install OpenBSD on SD, I don't know if it works. And now, after having troubles with partition table, I got "closed"_BSD. :-)

Greets
SL-C3200 Sharp Rom, Meanie's X/QT and Pocket Workstation
Wifi Linksys WCF12, SD 1GB Kingston (Ellite Pro)

SL-5500S Cacko Crow 30/30 home on SD
SD 1GB Kingston (the good one)
CF 1GB Kingston

Juanjo Santiso
Barcelona
EU

Alex Ander

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
Quote from: ZDevil
Actually installing Debian can be as easy as installing Cacko, pdaXrom (non-uboot versions) and Angstrom.

There is an alternative way to install the base system without using network connection  (up to step 5).  

... snip ...

#5 Installation will complete itself and reboot the machine. Debian is ready to go! (default root login: root; root password: kuroadmin)

(From now on you will need network connection to update and upgrade the system)
#6 Set up your network profile in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf, blacklist hostap if you are using Ambicom WL1100C (for details see this post: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?act=fi...&pid=168621 ).
You can then do the postinstallation steps as descibed in "After installation" in the titchy linux wiki: http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux/Installing

Dear Mr. ZDevil,

I am not a Linux expert.  I do not have broadband.  I have - an occasionally crackly - 36 Kbytes/sec Internet phone connection in the middle of the North York Moors (England).  Last month I bought (on Ebay) a 2nd-hand Zaurus SL-C3200 with the original Sharp distro, modified for English by FigLabs.  The Zaurus is a replacement for my ageing 12-year-old Psion Revo.  After years with the trusty monochrome Revo, the quality of the Sharp OS distribution was a little... disappointing.  So instead, I want to flash some version of Debian Linux onto my Zaurus.  Titchy Linux seemed the most easily understandable and straightforward instructions, but alas, they require a network connection to finish the installation.

What must I do to install a Debian GNU/Linux system all from files preloaded on a flash card?  

Would you kindly spell out the necessary steps and requirements, please?

With kind regards,

Alexander Anderson

gawl

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2008, 03:42:37 am »
Hi, I installed yonggun's "andromeda.zip' Debian rootfs on my Zaurus [SL-3000 with 4GB internal flash card instead of microdrive] just a few days ago.
Wow, only very few modifications were necessary to adapt it to (almost) all my needs. (mainly change locales and timezone, source /etc/profile.d/tslib.sh, chmod 1777 /tmp [to allow startx for a non-root user], install kdepimpi [the only reason to stick to Openzaurus-Opie for such a long time], very few more software modifications)

But now I still have the problem that I do not get any "stand-alone" network connections:

(1.) Although my D-Link WiFi-Card seems to work [hostap_cs module loaded, device wifi0 set up], it fails to set up a WPA-encrypted connection (using the /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf that have always made it work without problems on OpenZaurus).

(2.) My Ethernet card (Billionton CF 10/100) does not work. This seems to be a rather easy one, as it works fine on the Angstrom-distro with the axnet_cs kernel module.

On Angstrom, I was able to (cross-)compile the kernel (using bitbake on a desktop PC) *with* axnet_cs module. But I was *not* able to flash such an Angstrom-kernel for being used with Debian EABI/armel [did not find its root device after flashing].
So, currently I am using the "2.6.24.4-yonggun" kernel that was included in the downloaded "andromeda.zip". But I wonder whether it is possible to either  get the sources for it from somewhere (to just compile the needed module(s)), or to download such "extra-modules" already compiled from somewhere...?
Thanks for an idea!

xeon

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2008, 12:51:07 pm »
Hi all,

I finished the Install of Debian on my 3200 last night. Very impressive, that makes the Zaurus really usefull. So first thanks to the developer as well as for all the info in this post. Here a few words about my Installation:

Target: Zaurus CL-3200 / no Mods / DLink Prism2 CF WiFi Card
SD-Card: Transcend 150x 4GB card, rerofmatted to 640MB and a big empty space.
Debian Image: Debian 4.0 Etch Netinstall

Installation:

Installing the bootloader and the installer wasn´t a problem at all. They began with the installer itself. The biggest problems caused the SD Driver. I/O Errors happened all the time. But it worked fine when I unmounted the SD, removed it, then plugged it in again and remounted it. I had to do this about five times or so before I was able to run the installation smoothly. The Partitioner asked me which type of table it should use, i chose msdos.

The message about the identity problems came as well, but disappeared when I installed the mirror-choose. I chose a good mirror and the rest just happened like on a PC. Warnings about the missing kernel and bootloader where easy to ignore.

Post Installation:

The clock was set to 0 (Unix Time), I had to chose a new password and hat to set the network up again. One of the big problems was the installation of the zaurus-hardware-support package. I had to load the module snd-pxa2xx-ac97 to avoid error messages about missing devices during the installation. After that it was perfect. I installed the fullscale titchy package, replaced xdm with gdm and everything works fine so far.

Problems:

In battery mode the display occasionly starts flickering. Not too serious but annoying. Iceweasel of course takes an awfull lot of time to load but runs smooth after loading it. I think about replacing it with epiphany. Should be a bit faster. Dillo works usually but crashes on some occasions. Sylpheed works great. Didn´t make it GPG ready yet, but will follow.

A funny thing is that I can´t ping the zaurus until I ping the other side from the zaurus. I don´t know why that is, but its annoying. I like to do administrativ stuff via ssh, but the connections break of after about ten to twenty minutes.

The SD driver seems to have a problem. I tried to format my 4GB SD with ext2, but it never finished, in fact the whole zaurus had to be rebooted.

Ah and the touchscreen. It works, but quite often not very accurate. It happens that the curser flickers arround like crazy while the stylus is standing still or moves slowly.

Jabber Client:

I removed Gaim and installed mcabber with SSL and GPG support. Works great and fast, even with GPG encryption. I had to compile it myself to get the latest version and GPG support. For that I installed gcc, g++, libssl-dev, libgnutls-dev, libgpgme11-dev, libgpgme6, openssl, make and bison. I´m not sure if all of them are necessary but that worked fine. Anyone who does only need a jabber client will do fine with mcabber. Very lightweighted.

Emacs:

I find nano and vim okay but very annoying because I´m so used to emacs. I removed vim and nano to replace it with emacs21-nox. That needs 40 Megs of my valuable space but works amazingly fast on the zaurus. I think I´ll extend it for the usage of mail, news and so on.

Conclusion and further steps:

YES I AM HAPPY
A full scale Debian is available on my Zaurus, I´m really hapy about that. All the little bugs are a bit annoying but the whole thing is acceptable. I plan to replace some apps with text based equivalents. The mail program for exampe is just in my way as it is. I need a fast, lightweight and smallscreen friendly client. mutt or emacs would do fine. I think I´ll go through all this to set up a little mail system on the zaurus. Encrypted instant messaging works fine already, next is email, but that depends on the final client. I´m surprides by the speed gpg works on the Zaurus. Could be worse!

I´ll report about further experients as soon as I finished them.

cu
xeon

bon_the_one

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2008, 12:01:24 pm »
This sounds just the sort of thing I'm looking for, so went to the link to have a look and the server doesn't respond

Is the site still available? Does anyone know if it's gone for good or will it be back?

Thanks,

Bon