Author Topic: Wireless Cf With Best Support  (Read 4951 times)

kkazakov13

• View Profile
Wireless Cf With Best Support
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:23:36 am »
Ok ... as my Planex is giving more and more problems, it needs replacement. I don't want to get another planex, because the plastic broke so easily ... in the first 5 days or so.

I'm searching for a not-so-expensive ( max about 35-40 euro with shipping ) and compatible with beta 3 and latest pdaxrom versions.

I've encountered so far linksys wcf11 which is about 50$ with shipping, BUT i don't have any idea if it's fully compatible with pdaxrom ... i could not find anything in the forum that says "ok it works great" or the opposite.

Any ideas for WIFI cards ? The most important thing is the compatibility with beta3, then with latest pdaxrom, and then with OpenBSD. And after the compatibility comes the durability  I want that plastic to last at least few months .. and no - I don't drop it.
SL-C3200 ** FOR SALE :( **
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25969

Canon K30225 CF wireless card
Taxan iTax-LAN10 wired card
My packages for customized pdaXrom beta 3

walkman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:07:49 am »
Quote from: kkazakov13
Ok ... as my Planex is giving more and more problems, it needs replacement. I don't want to get another planex, because the plastic broke so easily ... in the first 5 days or so.

I'm searching for a not-so-expensive ( max about 35-40 euro with shipping ) and compatible with beta 3 and latest pdaxrom versions.

I've encountered so far linksys wcf11 which is about 50$ with shipping, BUT i don't have any idea if it's fully compatible with pdaxrom ... i could not find anything in the forum that says "ok it works great" or the opposite.

Any ideas for WIFI cards ? The most important thing is the compatibility with beta3, then with latest pdaxrom, and then with OpenBSD. And after the compatibility comes the durability  I want that plastic to last at least few months .. and no - I don't drop it.

I recently purchased D-Link DCF 660W. It works with pdaxiiv13v2, r198 and Angstrom. Seems to be fairly "usual" card. The only problem were problems with orinoco vs. hostap drivers, but to sort out that is easy. Design seems to be robust enough, although I do not know what are your requirements. It goes went on German eBay for a fixed price 45.- EUR (new) and used can be bought for around 20-30.- EUR. Check e.g. here. Pulster sells it for 69.-.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:11:00 am by walkman »
Sharp SL-C1000 Akita + D-Link 660W

kkazakov13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:37:09 am »
What about this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/New-Agere-802-11B-Compa...VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm still searching for a cheaper variant

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:38:24 am »
The Ambicom WL1100C works for just about everything AFAIK, and it hasn't broke on me yet (the plastic I mean, not that other stuff has). The drivers load fine for it.

I believe it was ~65 USD
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

snk4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 08:26:20 am »
My symbol spectrum24 is low power consuming and small but I always have difficulties using it in Cacko or pdaXrom so I wouldn't recommend it.

mscdex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 12:02:52 pm »
My symbol spectrum 24 works fine in both cacko and pdaxii13, works out of the box on the latter.

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 12:31:31 pm »
Quote from: Capn_Fish
The Ambicom WL1100C works for just about everything AFAIK, and it hasn't broke on me yet (the plastic I mean, not that other stuff has). The drivers load fine for it.

I believe it was ~65 USD
I think I got mine from ebay for less than 30. I agree, good card- Id had both linksys and d-link previously (the d-link got slightly better range,  but it was massive)
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

alijames

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 12:54:26 pm »
Quote from: adf

I believe it was ~65 USD
I think I got mine from ebay for less than 30. I agree, good card- Id had both linksys and d-link previously (the d-link got slightly better range,  but it was massive)

I also agree on the Ambicom WL1100-CF. I have had them working fine on Cacko, pdaXrom and Debian Titchy, with WEP and WPA.

Currently a few Taiwanese sellers have got them on Ebay for £20/E28 + p&p. I got a second one from one of these guys a couple of months ago, and it even came with up-to-date firmware!!!

HTH,

Alistair
Alistair James

C3100 PdaXii13 Akita (with Full Hdimage)
Ambicom CF WLAN
Pharos CF LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth
Kingston 2GB SD
ZTek USB->Serial

alijames

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 12:55:16 pm »
Quote from: alijames
Quote from: adf

I believe it was ~65 USD

I also agree on the Ambicom WL1100-CF. I have had them working fine on Cacko, pdaXrom and Debian Titchy, with WEP and WPA.

Currently a few Taiwanese sellers have got them on Ebay for £20/E28 + p&p. I got a second one from one of these guys a couple of months ago, and it even came with up-to-date firmware!!!

HTH,

Alistair

Also the Ambicom is physically the smallest CF Wifi card I have found so far.

Alistair
Alistair James

C3100 PdaXii13 Akita (with Full Hdimage)
Ambicom CF WLAN
Pharos CF LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth
Kingston 2GB SD
ZTek USB->Serial

scheck.r

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 02:33:54 pm »
Quote from: mscdex
My symbol spectrum 24 works fine in both cacko and pdaxii13, works out of the box on the latter.
Mine works out of the box too(don't know for r198). However it doesn't support WPA and has medium range.
SL-C1000 from PriceJapan(cheap and very fast shipping) with EA-70 power adapter, iRiver USB Host cable, PDAIR case, pentopia stylus, ultra clear screen-protector from shop.brando.com.hk only $3 for shipping worldwide
4GB Hitachi Microdrive, 1GB Kingston Elite Pro CF, 4GB Transcend 150x SD, Symbol Spectrum 4137 CF WiFi(low power)
PdaXrom pdaxii13 5.4.9 updated with Kkazakov13's feed. I owned a SL-6000L before

kkazakov13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 05:03:12 pm »
Quote from: scheck.r
Quote from: mscdex
Mine works out of the box too(don't know for r198). However it doesn't support WPA and has medium range.

Thanks for all suggestions ... seems symbol spectrum is the cheapest one. I don't need a long-range one ... just one that works  I use WEP encryption + filtering by MAC addresses that works amazingly good.

Also the Ambicom one is not a bad choice, only it's price. Right now I don't have a job, so any euro is calculated
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:23:15 pm by kkazakov13 »

Drake01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:12:53 pm »
Thanks for all suggestions ... seems symbol spectrum is the cheapest one. I don't need a long-range one ... just one that works  I use WEP encryption + filtering by MAC addresses that works amazingly good.

Also the Ambicom one is not a bad choice, only it's price. Right now I don't have a job, so any euro is calculated
I've always had good results with my Spectrum 24.  If you only need WEP, I think the Symbol will be a good card for you.

I wanted to upgrade from WEP to WPA, so I purchased the Ambicom card.  This card doesn't work for me because the card either shuts off after a random interval, or it causes my C1000 to freeze up and the screen goes white.  There was some conjecture that it's pulling too much current.  I know that a couple others have complained about this same problem.  Since some people claim to have success with this card, it may only be certain revisions or manufacturing runs that are affected.
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

kkazakov13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 04:48:26 am »
Well, my wireless router has wireless security based on MAC address. So you basically CAN connect, get internal IP, everything looks great BUT ... you get no traffic at all - incoming or outgoing. That's why WEP + MAC filtering is the perfect combination for me - works(worked) with my planex cf card, and my desktop machine also connects to it.

I guess I'll stick to Spectrum 24. Thanks , guys! That's a community!

EDIT:
I found one used and cheap but they don't ship to Bulgaria  

http://cgi.ebay.com/SYMBOL-SPECTRUM24-LA-4...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll try to ask a friend in the US to get it for me and send it ...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:54:09 am by kkazakov13 »

arzgi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 05:46:28 am »
Well, my wireless router has wireless security based on MAC address. So you basically CAN connect, get internal IP, everything looks great BUT ... you get no traffic at all - incoming or outgoing. That's why WEP + MAC filtering is the perfect combination for me - works(worked) with my planex cf card, and my desktop machine also connects to it.

I guess I'll stick to Spectrum 24. Thanks , guys! That's a community!

EDIT:
I found one used and cheap but they don't ship to Bulgaria  

http://cgi.ebay.com/SYMBOL-SPECTRUM24-LA-4...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll try to ask a friend in the US to get it for me and send it ...
Both MAC and WEP can be broken in minutes. Sure better than nothging, but if you have evil minded neighbour who knows
what he is doing, it is just a small slow down.  I'm not expert, but that was what I was told when I was purchasing wlan-adapter.

I have D-Link Air DCF-660W, works nicely in pdaXii13, supports WPA.
SL-C3100 (x 2), Debian Squeeze Armel, D-Link DCF-660W, Planex GW-CF11x and AmbiCom WL54-CF cf-wlans ,
Buffalo LPC-CF-CLT cf-lan, Pretec cf-modem, Billionton CF GPS, a few CF- and SD-memory cards