Author Topic: Bricked Z? Please Help - Update Success!  (Read 7301 times)

Z3n

• View Profile
Bricked Z? Please Help - Update Success!
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:12:55 pm »
All,

Looking for some help here.  I was following the instructions for getting Debian EABI installed on my 3100 from https://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Q19:_I...n_EABI_on_SD%3F

I got to the point of installing uboot.  I saw the flash happen, held down OK during reboot and was presented a BASH prompt.  Looked around and say that it wasn't my extracted root_fs on /dev/hda1.  So, I rebooted thinking that would help... I am seeing that was hopefully a corrective big mistake.  Now, I have nothing.

What I mean by nothing, I plug in the power cable and I don't get a light...  I am thinking that is bad.  I have tried doing the D + B while installing the battery, that gets me nothing.  Tried D + M while putting in the battery, that gets me nothing.

Someone, please tell me there is a trick that I don't know of to resurrect my Z!!

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:29:10 pm by Z3n »

danr

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:22:37 pm »
If D+M fails then press Fn+D+M on power-up to access the boot loader in ROM memory, from which you can flash the Zaurus.
SL-C860 running Debian EABI on top of Angstrom 2.6 kernel

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 04:27:28 pm »
perhaps you should follow trisoft emergency procedure :

http://trisoft.de/en_c3100howto.htm
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

LinuxGadget

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:28:09 pm »
The same happened to me (several times). Anyway, the Z is probably not bricked. Remove the power cord, the battery and let it sit for at least 5secs. Press Fn+D+M before reconnecting the power cord (no need for the battery). You should see the diagnose menu, hopefully. Good luck, and keep flashing u-boot. I managed after many trials, now i have debian up and running  

Quote from: Z3n
All,

Looking for some help here.  I was following the instructions for getting Debian EABI installed on my 3100 from https://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Q19:_I...n_EABI_on_SD%3F

I got to the point of installing uboot.  I saw the flash happen, held down OK during reboot and was presented a BASH prompt.  Looked around and say that it wasn't my extracted root_fs on /dev/hda1.  So, I rebooted thinking that would help... I am seeing that was hopefully a corrective big mistake.  Now, I have nothing.

What I mean by nothing, I plug in the power cable and I don't get a light...  I am thinking that is bad.  I have tried doing the D + B while installing the battery, that gets me nothing.  Tried D + M while putting in the battery, that gets me nothing.

Someone, please tell me there is a trick that I don't know of to resurrect my Z!!

Thanks in advance.
C1000, 2.6.24-yonggun, Debian EABI

scottlfa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 05:44:16 pm »
Indeed you will get to debian, its rough sometimes.  Be patient and go slow
"So there I was, spitting on my goldfish trying to keep it alive ..."
---------------------------------------------------------------< O >-------------------------------------------------------
Viliv N5 [Debian]
Acer One Running OSX 10.5.7 [Dell 3190 & Ram Upgraded]
SL-C1000 [ZUbuntu], JasJar [WM 6.5], Nokia N900, and Samsung Galaxy S 4G.
Sony Ux280P [Kbuntu 10.4 Lucid], PsP Go and DSi

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:51:09 pm »
All,

Thanks in advance.

looks like uboot didn't find your card to flash the kernel (i suppose that's what you wanted to do holding "ok")
Make sure there is only one card in the Z (CF or SD), then remove battery, hold OK, plugin power, wait for the emergency to boot up, it should find "autoboot.sh" on the card and install the kernel after you answered the one and only question. If not, reformat the card, put the files on it again, try again ... or try another card.

I don't think you want the "trisoft-rescue-procedure" right at this point or you will end up without uboot again.

Chero.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:52:55 pm by Chero »
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

scottlfa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 03:31:06 pm »
"fn+d+m" will get you to the familiar Z maintenance screens.
---------------------------------------------------------------< O >-------------------------------------------------------
Viliv N5 [Debian]

scottlfa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 03:54:14 pm »
As too getting debian running on the 3100 ... I feel your pain, it was much more of an effort than the C1K for me to get debian on the unit.  Here's the steps I took to get there.

In my experience I have found that the rootfs for PdaXrom 198 and the udated kernel.img's can't be flashed from the CF card without some effort.  Where as they work fine from the SD card.  In addition I found that the "emergency linux boot" console has a DEVIL of a time dealling with the internal drive.  In my personal case it gave me fits for days before a kind soul pointed me in PdaXii13's way of pre-setting things up.

BIG FIRST - Restore the unit back to the basic setup (cf card with systc310.dbk), press "fn+d+m" and proceed to the nand restore options.  Restore the nand.

Step two reflash the unit with PdaXii13, make sure once its installed that you grab bzip2 (ipkg install bzip2).  If you have an SD card or CF card with thats at 256MB or bigger we can continue to the next step.

Step three; copy the rootfs provided here.  Fdisk the hda1 into one full partition, mkfs.ext3 on it and the remount it.  Copy the zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2 file to the hda partition.  cd into the root of the hda partition and use "tar jxvf zaurus_eabi_rootfs_071201.tar.bz2" to uncompress the image and form the root you need.  Make any changes prescribed in the wiki here.  Once all set, proceed on.  Make sure to cd into the hda1 dev directory and MAKEDEV console.

Step four; copy the u-boot files to the root of the SD card, flash u-boot from a fat16 paritioned SD card (partition size of about 256MB should do fine).  Once the solid lights go out, pull the power and SD card.  Make a folder on the card called u-boot and move all of the uboot files into it.

Step five; copy the rootfs & pdax kernel to the root of the SD card, flash rootfs & kernel from the same fat16 partitioned SD card.  Place the card back in, press "ok" and plug the power back in.  Keep holding the ok button until it comes to the emergency menu.  When asked answer "y" to the question and allow it to complete the flash of PdaX198.  Once done it will reboot.  Allow it too complete the reboot fully to the prompt.  Once it does, make a folder on the SD card called "rootfs" and copy all of the pdaxrom files into it.  Copy the autoboot.sh and this kernel to the SD card, pull the power, press and hold "ok" and plug the power back in ... she will boot into emergency mode and ask a question, answer "y" and it will quickly flash your new kernel.  The unit will reboot.

Note: I mention the older 2.6.22 kernel because it will boot straight too the hda debian partition without requiring you to press and hold keys.  The newer kernels require you to press and hold a number key to boot into the hda1 partition.  Once you have all up and running you can flash to one of the newer ones

Step six; Should boot through (YMMV)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:00:41 pm by scottlfa »
Viliv N5 [Debian]

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 04:07:15 pm »
Check the "Is your Z dead...?" thread in the pdaXrom section (it's pinned) if you haven't found a soulution yet.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

malik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 03:38:33 am »
hello,

i hope you found a solution meanwhile. i went into the same procedure. i had three different zaurii
and it seems really hard to break them with flashing procedures. yesterday i flashed back with a
nand image at least 5 times:-) only fn+d+m+reset worked for me and i didnt understood when it
worked and when not: removing battery, power adapter, putting on and so on. meanwhile i installed
debian successfully, here are my "mistakes":
* i was not pressing the ok button immediately after uboot installation
* i was holding the ok button for a too short time!
* uboot did not install from a fat 16 formatted cf card and the japanese menu, success with an sd card
* pressing [1] to boot from the sd card gave me several kernel panics, again i cannot say why
* had to change /etc/fstab in uboot hda1->hdc1 for accessing the cf card within uboot

now it works, do not give up..
borzoi, cacko 1.23 lite, 1gb kingston cf, 512mb toshiba sd.. suse 10.0

scottlfa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 11:12:26 am »
Indeed, don't give up.

There are three Y kernel, two behave the same and one does not.

If you use yonggun kernel.img 2.6.22.9 then there is no need to press any numbers during boot.  It will boot straight too the hda (the mmc kernels mentioned on this page are for the C1K).  Pressing 1 with this kernel makes it try to boot from the internal NAND, which it fails on.

If you use yonggun kernel.img 2.6.23.1 or kernel.img 2.6.23.9 then you need to press 2 in order to boot from the hda1 (internal drive).  Pressing 1 boots from the SD card present in the system.

Hope this helps people latter on when trying to figure out which number to press and hold during boot - YMMV.
Viliv N5 [Debian]

Z3n

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:55:06 am »
All,

Thanks for the advise and encouragement.  Native Debian has been something I have wanted on my Z for some time so I won't be giving up anytime soon.

Good news I can access the emergency menu with the Fn+D+M plug in the power combo so I will be continuing my efforts with the suggestions in this post.

Thanks again everyone.

~Z3n
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:56:08 am by Z3n »

Z3n

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 05:06:47 pm »
Alright all.  I need some help.  I am following this howto:

https://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Q19:_I...n_EABI_on_SD%3F

I am at the point of trying to get U-Boot installed and I am not having any luck.  Following these directions and my Z won't respond after flashing u-boot to the system.  I held down the OK key and got booted into the Emergency Linux System.  I poked around and all was good.

The next step is to flash the kernel.  Turn off my Z and perform the reset procedure (after the files are on the CF card and inserted into the Z) and nothing happens.

Frustrating...

Any thoughts or ideas I could try differently?  I know people have had success with this and all I want to do is see the EABI Debian boot.  I had Titchy installed but wanted to try the latest to see it.

malik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 06:21:03 am »
Alright all.  I need some help.  I am following this howto:

https://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Q19:_I...n_EABI_on_SD%3F

I am at the point of trying to get U-Boot installed and I am not having any luck.  Following these directions and my Z won't respond after flashing u-boot to the system.  I held down the OK key and got booted into the Emergency Linux System.  I poked around and all was good.

The next step is to flash the kernel.  Turn off my Z and perform the reset procedure (after the files are on the CF card and inserted into the Z) and nothing happens.

Frustrating...

Any thoughts or ideas I could try differently?  I know people have had success with this and all I want to do is see the EABI Debian boot.  I had Titchy installed but wanted to try the latest to see it.

hello,

i used zdevils instructions in this forum, installing the rootfs on sd, not touching the hd. is your cf card mounted?
i had to change hda1 to hdc1 in /etc/fstab for this. the script mentioned there didn't worked for me, so i had to
use the nandlogical (see script) command for the yonggun kernel by hand.
borzoi, cacko 1.23 lite, 1gb kingston cf, 512mb toshiba sd.. suse 10.0

Z3n

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 09:39:54 am »
All,

I would like to report SUCCESS!  I have Debian booting on my Z.

Got it hooked up to the network, apt-get upgrade and all that so it is good to go.

Only thing that I am seeming to have difficult with is the suspend/resume function.  Once booted and running and I power off by hitting the power button, I can't get the Z to boot back up without removing the battery and putting it back in.  Z starts booting even before I have the battery cover back in place and locked.

Any suggestions?