Author Topic: Asus Eee Pc?  (Read 20144 times)

dz

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 589
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dangerz.net
Asus Eee Pc?
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:04:19 am »
Has anyone tried this?  Is it worth it for us to create a sub-forum for it?  From everything I've read, it seems like a pretty cool device and is kinda in the realm of the other devices we support here.

Thoughts/Opinions?
http://www.dangerz.net
c860 : Cacko
The greatest experience we can have is the mysterious.
- Albert Einstein

ZDevil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1998
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:38:20 am »
A new forum will be great. But how about http://www.eeeuser.com/ , which has already been the most popular site with tons of useful tips, howtos and hacks?

I have got my Eee PC 701 (4G) black for a couple of weeks and now I am extremely happy with this true mobile solution!  The best thing is with (eee)(x/k)ubuntu it can enjoy all the ubuntu packages (even Compiz fusion runs surprisingly smoothly). At this unprecedented low price for such a laptop no wonder why it has generated so much buzz, far more than the Z undoubtedly.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:40:52 am by ZDevil »

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

tux

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 438
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 06:01:45 pm »
Quote from: ZDevil
A new forum will be great. But how about http://www.eeeuser.com/ , which has already been the most popular site with tons of useful tips, howtos and hacks?

I have got my Eee PC 701 (4G) black for a couple of weeks and now I am extremely happy with this true mobile solution!  The best thing is with (eee)(x/k)ubuntu it can enjoy all the ubuntu packages (even Compiz fusion runs surprisingly smoothly). At this unprecedented low price for such a laptop no wonder why it has generated so much buzz, far more than the Z undoubtedly.  

  Just got my black 4G last week. I can run the usb stick version of Kopi/Kapi directly! Or I can use the data files in the supplied kdepim suite. The form factor is likely to make it the main portable machine for me, I can also carry the Z of the moment in the same bag! I'm just in the middle of installing eeexubuntu to the flash drive. I may restore to the original and try dual booting from the SDHC card. All sorts of possibilities. The link to the forum in ZDevil's post is well worth a look.  

I may try and do a hack to put the 16 GB CF card inside it and experiment away!

About a new forum...  I suppose it depends how many Z owners get one as well? But if the Nokia, Simpad etc rate a forum .. why not?

I'm thinking that tricks from the Z world like putting home on Sd etc would be transferrable...

Cheers
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

speculatrix

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3698
    • View Profile
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:50:44 pm »
eee owners seem to be well served elsewhere - it is after all just a regular x86 machine so apart from the form factor there's nothing special about it.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

dougeeebear

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 537
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:49:24 am »
I got a 4GB Surf and I think it's great!
At least it has a useable keyboard, unlike the Kohjinsha.

Doug
Zaurus SL-C1000 and SL-5500
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

ZDevil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1998
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:55:36 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
eee owners seem to be well served elsewhere - it is after all just a regular x86 machine so apart from the form factor there's nothing special about it.

Before I got my Eee PC, I also didn't think there's anything special about this machine.
But after I bought one (a pearl 701) for my sister and started playing/tweaking it, I really got hooked. So I ended up buying a black 701.
It's been out of stock in many locations.
My colleague told me he's trying to get one in Germany but he's told that he's gonna wait until April/May.
It has also just hit Japan, the country of gizmos. 10000 units are gone within one week.  http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20080130PD209.html
I don't have any theory of this, but Eee PC seems to be selling even faster than iPhone. It's hitting 400,000 very soon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:56:42 am by ZDevil »

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

dougeeebear

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 537
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 10:41:50 am »
Yeah, the Eee is pretty tweakable (geeky).
I haven't used my Z since I bought it.
It has also pretty much replaced my 15" laptop.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:42:57 am by dougeeebear »
Zaurus SL-C1000 and SL-5500
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

Cresho

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1609
    • View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 01:46:12 am »
I currently updated my friends and installed ubuntu with compiz running 100% fullspeed.  Did the wifi tweacks, button and fn keys.  Everything works on it but..................RECORD!  it is a gnome problem.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

Snappy

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 793
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:20:17 am »
Good thing about having an eeepc sub-forum here ... the folks here are way more savvy!  
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

ZDevil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1998
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 10:17:51 am »
The funny thing is the Eee PC simply doesn't use any embedded linux.

The funnier thing is this. Do check this out if you haven't.

The very best reviews of Eee PC i've seen so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGmZZibb33E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9du5U6Nk4U&NR=1

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

harvell

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 241
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »
Quote from: Snappy
Good thing about having an eeepc sub-forum here ... the folks here are way more savvy!  


That and all the names here are familiar.   Everyone that has posted on this thread are regulars.
C1000 w/...  Cacko Lite (When I use the Z alot for business)... pdaXrom (when I see something cool and want to try it.  Best way for me to learn shell commands)
Eee PC for Mrs. Harvell  
4G SD

ZDevil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1998
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 04:17:13 am »
I left out one thing that makes Eee PC stand out: the community is HUGE. For example, eeeuser.com reminds me of the heyday of palm and its frantic forums.
Although shipments have to be delayed (esp the 8G model), the total number of orders has already exceeded 1 million, growing even faster than iPhone.

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

Snappy

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 793
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 10:52:33 am »
Quote from: ZDevil
I left out one thing that makes Eee PC stand out: the community is HUGE. For example, eeeuser.com reminds me of the heyday of palm and its frantic forums.
Although shipments have to be delayed (esp the 8G model), the total number of orders has already exceeded 1 million, growing even faster than iPhone.

Absolutely! And barring any mishap, I think the eeepc is on its way to gadgetdom history!
I think it helps that it comes ready (without much tinkering) to do many things that is the norm today. eg support for flash sites, youtube, ajax, javascript, firefox, etc.

Other than the up-sized bezel, I'm totally coool with it!
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

desertrat

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 743
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 04:58:18 pm »
Quote from: ZDevil
I left out one thing that makes Eee PC stand out: the community is HUGE. For example, eeeuser.com reminds me of the heyday of palm and its frantic forums.
That's one of the problems - the forums at forum.eeeuser.com are getting more and more messy. Too many inane - IMHO  - posts such as:

Has anyone stayed with standard easy mode?
transporting the eee pc
What did you name your Eee?
Availability of 4G colours
are you waiting for the 8GB ??

Not to mention the countless duplicate threads dealing with the same subject. When I first got my eeepc I was hitting the forums several times a day, now it's more like once every several days. A while back one of the moderators tried to reduce the number of duplicate threads and was met with hostility from some users. Meanwhile the problem is continuing to escalate which takes it into a vicious circle - the more crap there is the harder it is to find good quality info so users simply start a new thread instead.
SL-C3100 / Ambicon WL1100C-CF / pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 / IceWM

dougeeebear

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 537
    • View Profile
    • http://
Asus Eee Pc?
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 06:53:13 pm »
Quote from: desertrat
That's one of the problems - the forums at forum.eeeuser.com are getting more and more messy. Too many inane - IMHO  - posts such as:

Has anyone stayed with standard easy mode?
transporting the eee pc
What did you name your Eee?
Availability of 4G colours
are you waiting for the 8GB ??

Not to mention the countless duplicate threads dealing with the same subject. When I first got my eeepc I was hitting the forums several times a day, now it's more like once every several days. A while back one of the moderators tried to reduce the number of duplicate threads and was met with hostility from some users. Meanwhile the problem is continuing to escalate which takes it into a vicious circle - the more crap there is the harder it is to find good quality info so users simply start a new thread instead.
Agreed.

Quote from: dz
Has anyone tried this?  Is it worth it for us to create a sub-forum for it?  From everything I've read, it seems like a pretty cool device and is kinda in the realm of the other devices we support here.

Thoughts/Opinions?
My opinion is we should have a sub-forum for the Eee PC.
Most of the users from eeeuser.com won't find their way to this forum, and we can at least have threads with intelligent content.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:02:17 pm by dougeeebear »
Zaurus SL-C1000 and SL-5500
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)